• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gumtree - ha, take that!

CometLucy195

Alpha Buck
I got an email from gumtree today, it ‘noticed’ that I look at its ‘small Furries’ and sent me an animal care guide.
I have sent them a long email. I thanked them for their well meaning advice (RSPCA leaflet), but suggested that the stop allowing people to advertise rabbits for free, and the reasons why. I also informed them that they have a responsibility to the pets they advertise and some more up to date advice would be useful, ie a hutch is not enough ‘ etc. I also told them to signpost people to the RWAF. The RSPCA do not have minimum size guidelines, as all their advice has to be scientifically evidenced based. They have a report currently commissioned at University of Bristol which is due at the end of 2018. Hopefully they will be able to adopt minimum size guidelines after this.
Well, if we all do a bit...

The Bristol Uni report seems to of been ages in the making. They visited my house when they first started the study and I've moved house 3 times since then, it must of been years ago.

Yes, it must have been commissioned a few years ago, what did they ask you just out of interest? And how did they pick people? I’m quite interested in this report when it comes out. To me, it seems as if there is a gradual move away from hutches, but it’s a bit like smoking. We all know it’s bad for us, but people don’t like to think about it, then gradually it becomes unpopular to smoke and things really start to change. Let’s hope it dies with the ‘hutch is not enough ‘ movement. Incidentally, I got a reply from gumtree saying they take their responsibility seriously but rely on their customers to not do anything illegal. Total cop out. I’m going to email back, when I can think of a good reply...

Yes, it must have been commissioned a few years ago, what did they ask you just out of interest? And how did they pick people? I’m quite interested in this report when it comes out. To me, it seems as if there is a gradual move away from hutches, but it’s a bit like smoking. We all know it’s bad for us, but people don’t like to think about it, then gradually it becomes unpopular to smoke and things really start to change. Let’s hope it dies with the ‘hutch is not enough ‘ movement. Incidentally, I got a reply from gumtree saying they take their responsibility seriously but rely on their customers to not do anything illegal. Total cop out. I’m going to email back, when I can think of a good reply...

Yes, hopefully they'll be a time in the future when keeping a rabbit in a hutch will be unheard of. Future generations will be like :shock: you used to keep rabbits like that :?...... x

Back