• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

setting up a rabbit rescue

bunnygran

Warren Scout
I started keeping rabbits only 3 years ago. I discovered what a joy they are to look after fairly late in life! I would really love to set up a rabbit rescue or sanctuary (to help a a fairly small number of rabbits) when I retire in a couple of years.

How did you rabbit rescuers start? We have got two house rabbits from a rabbit sanctuary and I was thinking of asking if I could spend time with them to learn as much as possible, but I would like to know how best to house the rabbits and also ways of finding finance to help with the costs of vets, feeding etc.

Any advice would be very welcome.

sorry i've no experience to go on. so this is just a thought... what about contacting the local rspc? in my search for Jack and rescues in the Yorkshire area I discovered one lady who took in rabbits that would normally have been pts for her rspca. unfortunately i don't know any more than this about her operation, finances etc.

I am sure there are loads of other people far more qualified than me to answer your questions but could you become a volunteer at a local rescue and be a fosterer too. At least that way you could see how the rescue is run and see the financial side of things before you took the step of setting up one of your own.

Hiya Bunnygran,

the best advice I can offer in a hurry, is to suggest that you go and read the Cottontails Rescue web site, as I believe they have a write up on this exact question.
Please can someone find us the web site link???

The trouble with asking us Rescues how we operate, is that we never have time to sit down and write much. :lol: ....I think the suggestion to Volunteer at a local Rescue and Foster some bunnies for them first is a very good idea. :D

Best wishes
Adele and all the Sanctuary rabbits

Starting a rescue

Hi, I am no expert, and we didn't start in quite the same way as most, but this is roughly what we say to most who have asked us in the past, this is copy n pasted from a document we use.

There are numorus considerations to starting a rescue, obviously the 1st is accommodation, have you got enough room and resource to start off with, also at this point consider how big you intend to grow to IE how many animals you can hold at any one time. When you have decided on this, then stick to it, some rescue centres end up being a part of the problem rather than the cure due to being over run with animals and unable to cope with them.
This is you 1st hurdle, the next is funding, how will you fund your centre, if you want help from larger organisations then becoming registered as a charity can help, this is a very big undertaking as you will require a committee and an accountant with regular minuted meetings.
If you do go down this route then some of the following may be easier.

Once you have established your centre name you will need to approach your local council for two things, The Animal welfare bill is currently being enforced across the country this means all rescue centres must be registered with the council, you will also need a special pass to use the local amenities for disposal of all the waste.
Some council will not be upholding this yet, but it would be best to check.
This is also the same point where you need to consider your neigbours and the parking and road that you live on, some centres have had problems due to location.

When you open to the public then it is a very good idea to have insurance Public liability is essential as you will be fully responsible for any accident on your property also during fundraising and information days you mayattend, you stand to loose everything if you have none. If you have helpers even voluntary, you will require employers insurance for these also.

If you allow any member of the public into your house you risk your house insurance not being valid. So an outside toilet can be a help.

These points are the hardest to deal with, but all are essential.

Other considerations are….

You become very tied to the centre, holidays are almost non existent even when you have dedicated and trusted helpers, it can be a worrying time, in four years we have had one five day break.
Your social and family life end up fitting in around the centre especially if like us you have set opening times, though this does enable a degree of routine.
You require vast amounts of bedding and food, fruit and vegetables.
You must keep all the hutches pristine all of the time, the RSPCA will come and have a look at some stage, usually unannounced.
The Animal welfare bill requires you to keep lists of all animals that pass through the rescue including who/where the animal came from and who/where the animal has gone.
Veterinary care, the most expensive out lay for us, but we choose to neuter and vaccinate every animal.
Fund raising, takes up weekends and large amounts of effort.

The whole thing will be a thankless task with very few praising your efforts, most of the general public assume that they are helping you when they dump there unwanted pet on you, even when it has fly strike, or some terminal problem. A vast majority will annoy and wind you up, you will end up crying and asking why you ever bothered.

But all this said the whole experience and the joy of taking in an animal rehabilitating it and re-homing it to a forever home will warm your heart. This is really the only plus point other than knowing you are potentially helping hundreds of animals each year.

There are other considerations you will find as you go along. The RWF will supply you with booklets as hand outs, I will list a number of helpful websites and forums which may help.

I hope this has not painted to dull a picture, but I am giving you the realistic view so you do not run headlong into a venture you’re not ready for.

www.houserabbit.co.uk
www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/
http://www.ukincorp.co.uk/?s=N#1
http://tuftyfund.org.uk/forum/default.asp
http://www.mcisltd.co.uk/

Above is a list of very useful sites, from becoming a registered charity to insurance and forums.

In honesty, if we knew what we where taking on 4 years ago we would never have started, but on the very same note, we have no intention of giving up now, we have learnt a vast amount and the whole experience has made us much stronger people. I would suggest if you try this, then do it with a well balanced out look. You will not be able to save every single bunny, but you will save hundreds of others which may not have had a chance if you had not tried.

Many thanks
Shaun
Rabbit and Guinea Pig Welfare.

Hi Shaun - that made a very interesting read, not because I'm thinking of setting up a rescue, but more because it is all too easy to forget about the often hard realities of rescuing. A very well balanced outlook.

I take my hat off to you and all the other rescues / sanctuaries that selflessly give up your time, money and devotion to helping these animals. :)

Lynn said:
Hi Shaun - that made a very interesting read, not because I'm thinking of setting up a rescue, but more because it is all too easy to forget about the often hard realities of rescuing. A very well balanced outlook.

I take my hat off to you and all the other rescues / sanctuaries that selflessly give up your time, money and devotion to helping these animals. :)

Thank you Shaun.
The tireless efforts of rescues is something we musn't forget to acknowledge. It is so important that we continue to put our hands in our pockets and a space in our diary to perpetuate their good work. Not everybody is cut out to run a rescue or a sanctuary but all of us, in our hearts, agree that what they are doing is vital. They need to know that they can count on their loyal supporters with donations of money, materials and time. How many of us have been made happy and fulfilled by having a rescue rabbit in their life?
Shaun, you can help us help you by letting us know the most valuable way to contribute. What do you really need from your supporters and in what manifestaion?
If you could start a post on this I know many would appreciate your very knowledgable advice.

KR,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,
In all honesty we do not really need anything our selves at this time, though I am sure as with most of the other centers any finaicial help is always appreciated. As always any donations would be appreciated.
Visit our website http://www.rngp.org/index-contact.shtml for our contact information.

Those who are just seting up, or have been running a short time well again that really depends upon what they already have, and how they will be running thier center. may be what we should do is have a section as a wanted or free to a good home section for equipment and alike?

It could be noted at this time, it is unusual for me to post, my normal stance is on the side lines as a spectator so to speak, my partner Tracy is actively involved with the forums and alot of the things surounding them.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. You have certainly provided me with food for thought, especially you Shaun. I have printed off your reply and will read it all carefully and talk it over with my husband, who is very supportive of my idea to have some sort of rabbit rescue. I will also look at the Cottontails webpage as suggested by Adele and get in touch with my local rescue to see if I could help our a bit or foster, just so that I can learn more.

I don't intend doing this until I have finished work and have more time at home, so I still have time to think it through thoroughly.

Thanks again to everyone you have been very helpful.

Best wishes

As some of you will know i used to be part of a very big charity and was resposable for the rabbit side of it, sadley times change but as i said im going to continue in my own small way you do not have to be a big rescue to do good. As i now have no backing at all im going to be limited to 3 or 4 rabbits at a time, i all ready have everthing i need, the vet i used to use is prepared to let me have an account, and to start with i will get bucks castrated as an when they are picked for a new home. The charge will be the cost of the castration. My vet is giving me a disscount. As i have the computor and a printer these will be put to good use. I will take photos of the rabbits i have print them of and put them up in shops and other places. In the past me and some friends have put on displays of different rabbit breeds at school fates and places like that, raising money for the rabbits half of whitch goes to the shool and the other to the buns. As well as raising money it gets rabbits rehomed. At one do we did i rehomed 6 rabbits. The rabbits we take are our show bunnies and they are well used to being on show and find it totally boring. The biggest draw is usualy the contenental giants as most people have never seen one. And of course its an opertunety to give out lots of advise to current owners and new ones on rabbit care.The best ones we do are at handicapt schools and care homes when they have their summer fates the children and the adults love it and the rabbits[only a select few]get stroked to death.These are just a few ways of raising a bit of money to keep it all going. The best bit of advise i can give is dont over stretch yourself.Its all to easy to take in more than you can handle, and of course forget about holidays you wont be able to take any. val

i think everyone posted good advice which is very usefull to anyone want to start this life!
it isnt easy and and it sure aint fun but when you take in a sick sad rabbit and nurse it health to watch it skipping about you garden its all worth while! or a nasty bun who chews you are off and you calm it down! :) bliss (these are my favs :D ) but one point not noted if like me your a angry person :twisted: i get very very mad when people bring me a rabbit with half its backend chewed away by maggots and thick pet owner telling me its worms that i am prone to beating them to near death :?
thats why i take my rabbits via someone as i am not a pleasent person when it comes to people dumping rabbits!
good luck and you need to hear all the down sides before the good bits as they will always out number the good :(
but it is worth while
good luck

SETTING UP A RESCUE

Hi to you all! I have only just read through all the messages on this and would just like to repeat something someone told me when we started out 'Keep it small of your standards will drop'. I entirely agree with this, however it is so so difficult to do. Try to keep to it if you can. We are struggling to maintain our standards but as the others say everything else loses out. My house is a complete and utter tip, I look after elderly parents if I did not have the support of local social services who assist every morning with getting my mother washed and out of bed I would be lost, if my friends did not keep ringing me first I guess I would hardly speak to them! There have been several times when a rescue has upset me so much that I have had to hide under the sheets and howl, and there have been rescues that have turned me into a hissing spitting demented monster!
I agree with Shaun, I would never have started if I had known the effect it would have on my life my dwindling bank balance and those close to me! However as he also said when a little animal pulls through, or an aggressive rabbit decides that people aren't so bad after all, or you see your animals adopted by fantastic families you think you will continue after all!
And no I didn't manage to keep it small so I was given invaluble advice I was unable to keep! Alice AJ's Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue

Back