• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cardboard boxes

Bunnysam

Alpha Buck
Does anybody know if it is ok for bunnies to eat cardboard boxes?

Mine usually have an array of boxes which are their "bunny hotels" and I cut holes in them and make tunnels but they insist on converting them into their own designs.

I have watched them and they do seem to eat the cardboard - will this cause blockages?

I have taken them away this morning as Billy wasn't eating or poo'ing last night and was really REALLY quiet - meaning I could cuddle him for AGES instead of squirming (hes a little rascal!) and he just lay in my arms and when I put him down he just lay there. I monitored him over night (by putting him in a separate cage to Rosie, but next to her, so as to check if he ate, poo'd, etc) and luckily this morning there were a few pellets in the tray and a wee and a cecal one on the newspaper squished. He was jumping about as well THANK GOD.

I dont know but it seems to be a bunny thing! I ahve only had mine since Sunday and I am learning everyday as well as being puzzled everyday!!

I got a box last night them and mine were ripping the floor up out of it and chewing the corners. They looked to be going to the toilet ok too but will find out more when I get home and have a nosey in their cage.

Yes they are ripping the floor out too! :lol: :lol:

Thank you at least I know its a bunny thing! They really go at them with those teeth!!

It is really funny to watch them go at chewing anything. My rabbit will chew and eat almost anything he finds so I really have to keep an eye on him when he is out and about.

Its odd though as all the rabbits I had in the past would shred up the newspaper lining the cage and make a real mess of it all, Barney will do the same but eats it all! He makes no mess just shrinks everything down! :lol:

I have never sen him have an problem passing pellets but will keep an eye out in the future.

Personaly I have kept Rabbit's for over 10 years on newspaper, shavings and have used cardboard boxes as toys for them.

I have never had any problems. I think its down to personal preference and what you feel happy using.

There is lots of very conflicting advice out there at the moment with regards to newspaper, shavings, cardboard etc.

Louise

I guess its down to the bun in question too. Like us, each one is different.

Surely if it made them poorly they would learn and not eat it?? Must taste yummy!

My only concern with the boxes was that they may start chewing the tape binding them together, that can't be a good thing and without the tape, my boxes fell apart :oops:

Mine LOVE cardboard boxes! They jump on them, hide in them, trash them, chew them, rearrange them, and sometimes pee and poop in them!! :roll: :wink:
I think they are one of the best bunny toys ever invented! lol

Mubby said:
and ive been told boxes with colour print is not good either! :D

This what I mean when I say there is lots of conflicting advice.

I was always told the Guinea Pigs shouldn't be put near ANY print coloured or black and that Rabbit's are fine with both.

:? :? :? :?

Louise

ellepotter said:
Mubby said:
and ive been told boxes with colour print is not good either! :D

This what I mean when I say there is lots of conflicting advice.

I was always told the Guinea Pigs shouldn't be put near ANY print coloured or black and that Rabbit's are fine with both.

:? :? :? :?

Louise

well most big boxes are generally brown with just black print!! and so i just stick with those ! :D

works for me.. :D

Back