• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm growing concerned for my smallest boy, Jack. He's always a wee tiny thing (1.7kg at last vet weigh in), and since being bonded to Henry on the 13th, he's started to get even skinnier.

The bonding went smoothly (after a potential 3rd bun was removed), and the pair have settled well together. Jack is bottom-bun, but Henry is docile and doesn't chase or hump.

Jack has had dental issues before which have made him not want to eat, but now he still has a good appetite, for pellets, hay and greens, and is still drinking. He's also been vaccinated. I'm thinking it's maybe the extra exercise he's getting, now that he has a friend?

We're going to the vet this afternoon to have him checked over, but I wondered if there were things I could be feeding to help stabilise the loss? I'm uneasy about upping their pellets, as perviously it's been a battle to get Jack eating hay.

Also, I was going to take both Jack and Henry in the carrier, do you think this is wise with their bond being new?

Hi all,

I'm growing concerned for my smallest boy, Jack. He's always a wee tiny thing (1.7kg at last vet weigh in), and since being bonded to Henry on the 13th, he's started to get even skinnier.

The bonding went smoothly (after a potential 3rd bun was removed), and the pair have settled well together. Jack is bottom-bun, but Henry is docile and doesn't chase or hump.

Jack has had dental issues before which have made him not want to eat, but now he still has a good appetite, for pellets, hay and greens, and is still drinking. He's also been vaccinated. I'm thinking it's maybe the extra exercise he's getting, now that he has a friend?

We're going to the vet this afternoon to have him checked over, but I wondered if there were things I could be feeding to help stabilise the loss? I'm uneasy about upping their pellets, as perviously it's been a battle to get Jack eating hay.

Also, I was going to take both Jack and Henry in the carrier, do you think this is wise with their bond being new?

It could be that Jack eats more slowly than Henry, due to his known Dental issues, so Henry is actually eating more than his fair share of pellets.You may need to feed them their pellets separately so you can be 100% certain that Jack is getting all of his daily portion.

Certainly being more active can mean that a Rabbit burns off more calories. But are you certain that Jack is actually loosing weight-ie are you weighing him at home every 2-3 days. If you are basing your concerns just on how he looks then whilst he may look as though he's lost weight he could just be toning up due to having much more exercise. So his body shape may change, but his weight will actually remain stable.

A Rabbit in moult can also look to have lost weight.

If the Vet confirms that he is actually underweight and has lost a significant amount since his last appointment then adding some Alfalfa Hay to his diet will increase his calorie intake, as would giving him some Readigrass. As previously mentioned, feeding him his pellets separately from Henry will avoid the risk of Henry scoffing most of them.

I hope that the Vet appointment for Jack goes well, I would take Henry along too xx

Hi all,

Hi Capable :)

Bit of a worry, but until the vet has weighed him and had a good feel of him it's difficult to know. At this time of year bunnies moult and they can look thinner as a result - bit deceptive.

What dental issues has Jack had in the past? It may or may not be related to them. Exercise should help build his muscle, so wouldn't necessarily lose weight because of that (muscle weighing heavier than fat).

If you want to increase weight a bit, I give a pinch of dry porridge oats twice a day. I prefer not to feed hay like alfalfa (though my vet recommends it) unless you're sure there's no bladder/calcium issues. Readigrass is higher in calories, though my bunnies are free fed it and it doesn't put weight on them.

Can you secretly give Jack a little more pellet-wise? I don't recommend it long term, as he needs as much hay as possible to keep those teeth worn down well, but if he's really a bit underweight it could help boost him in the short term?

It could also be a stress thing, although the 2 boys are getting along, Jack might be a little uneasy about being with another male. Just a thought really.

Right oh, thanks all.

Before the bonding, Jack would've only had maybe a token dozen Burgess Excel pellets, twice a day - any more and he'd go off his hay. Now he's with Henry, they get a level scoop twice a day, scatter fed. They already get a mix of Readigrass and 2 hay types.

I'll start separating Jack for the pellet feed, and will look into porridge oats too. Hopefully the vet can shed a bit more light!

Popping the boys into the carrier, and noticed there's dried mucus around Jack's nose, and he's got a little breathe snuffle! :cry: Feeling like such a bad rabbit parent! Really hope the vet can help, vibes appreciated.

Vet could attribute it to many things - his dental history, stress with the new bond, not getting his share of food, or various internal issues.

Ha had an antibiotic shot, more antibiotics to take home, advice to feed separately and top up with critical care, and a follow up appointment on a Saturday morning for him to be reweighed. If he has continued to lose, hen we’ll get blood work and possibly a dental.

Poor little lad, he’s still in good spirits, and so placid. Henry was terrified the whole time, so Jack groomed his ears in between hopping to the bars to investigate.

Vet could attribute it to many things - his dental history, stress with the new bond, not getting his share of food, or various internal issues.

Ha had an antibiotic shot, more antibiotics to take home, advice to feed separately and top up with critical care, and a follow up appointment on a Saturday morning for him to be reweighed. If he has continued to lose, hen we’ll get blood work and possibly a dental.

Poor little lad, he’s still in good spirits, and so placid. Henry was terrified the whole time, so Jack groomed his ears in between hopping to the bars to investigate.

Well whilst I am sorry to hear that Jack has a RTI it sounds as though your Vet is being very thorough and proactive with regards to his treatment. The fact that Jack remains in good spirits is a positive too. I hope that his weight will have improved by Saturday. Sending vibes for him x

Ah so sorry to hear this. Sometimes a rabbit goes off their food when this kind of thing happens as they can't smell it.

I hope his weight improves by Saturday. Poor Henry!!

Thank you Jane and MightyMax!

I have very confidence in our vet, he's the head vet at Belfast zoo, and very good - he wanted Jack back in ASAP.

I just separated Jack out to give a larger portion of evening nuggets, plus fibafirst sticks that he hasn't had for a while. It's taken him about an hour, but he's eaten it all with gusto, even after travelling in the car! I'm crossing everything that it's as simple as him not eating as fast as Henry, and missing out on his share.

With his previous dental history, if his teeth have been bad he's been uninterested in food and lethargic, whereas now he's still happy and hungry. Everything cross we can stabilise/add a little weight for Saturday.

Thank you Jane and MightyMax!

I have very confidence in our vet, he's the head vet at Belfast zoo, and very good - he wanted Jack back in ASAP.

I just separated Jack out to give a larger portion of evening nuggets, plus fibafirst sticks that he hasn't had for a while. It's taken him about an hour, but he's eaten it all with gusto, even after travelling in the car! I'm crossing everything that it's as simple as him not eating as fast as Henry, and missing out on his share.

With his previous dental history, if his teeth have been bad he's been uninterested in food and lethargic, whereas now he's still happy and hungry. Everything cross we can stabilise/add a little weight for Saturday.

Really good you have a smashing vet :)

Loads of vibes for Jack x

From Thursday afternoon, Jack has gained 110g! He's still too skinny, but the vet is pleased with the gain so we're not pursuing bloods/dental work yet. We've got more antibiotic to help with the sniffle, and a probiotic as well, with instructions to continue the separate feeding.

Jack will happily sit down and eat all his pellets/fibafirst in 1 sitting, but he's a slow eater and it might take him 45-60 minutes, whereas Henry is a gobbler. It eats into my routine quite a bit, but hopefully once his weight is back up we can look at finding a happy medium for everyone. Very pleased!

From Thursday afternoon, Jack has gained 110g! He's still too skinny, but the vet is pleased with the gain so we're not pursuing bloods/dental work yet. We've got more antibiotic to help with the sniffle, and a probiotic as well, with instructions to continue the separate feeding.

Jack will happily sit down and eat all his pellets/fibafirst in 1 sitting, but he's a slow eater and it might take him 45-60 minutes, whereas Henry is a gobbler. It eats into my routine quite a bit, but hopefully once his weight is back up we can look at finding a happy medium for everyone. Very pleased!

Hey, what an achievement - well done you and Jack too :wave:

Back