• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My dog chased my bunny

Samm

New Kit
My holland lop, Oliver, is a indoor bunny but I built a pen for him outside to get some fresh air and to run around. I like to put him out there about an hour a day. But today, somehow my dog who is a small shih tzu managed to crawl under the wire fence and into his pen. I usually sit next to the door while he’s outside so I can watch both of them but I went to the bathroom for just a minute and I heard Oliver squealing and ran out to see my dog chasing him in the play pen. Thankfully Oliver managed to out run her for that minute and I quickly put her out of the cage and brought him inside. He had a tiny drop of blood on his back, and I still can’t tell where it came from, I inspected him thoroughly and found no marks or cuts. As soon as I put him in his cage he laid down with his legs stretched back. I sat with him for a while just petting him and gave him a bowl of water which he drank right up. I gave him his favorite treats, some greens, and hay which he all ate normally. He is acting timid and remaining in the corner of his cage but comes to me when I sit in there with him. But he is grooming himself a lot which is concerning. I don’t think he pooped yet either but it has only been an hour (checking for GI stasis). Overall he seems okay and I don’t think my dog hurt him in any way, my dog is less than 10 pounds, so only a little bigger than him. But I’m just worried about the stress he was under when the dog was chasing him and I was reading that bunny’s can die from fear hours or even days after the incident. Do you think I should be worried about him passing away unexpectedly in the next few days or since he’s eating he should be okay? I feel so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry this has happened, what a shock for you all. It's good that he's eating, I would keep a close eye on him and make sure he is poo'ing soon. Is he grooming a particular area a lot or just all over?

My holland lop, Oliver, is a indoor bunny but I built a pen for him outside to get some fresh air and to run around. I like to put him out there about an hour a day. But today, somehow my dog who is a small shih tzu managed to crawl under the wire fence and into his pen. I usually sit next to the door while he’s outside so I can watch both of them but I went to the bathroom for just a minute and I heard Oliver squealing and ran out to see my dog chasing him in the play pen. Thankfully Oliver managed to out run her for that minute and I quickly put her out of the cage and brought him inside. He had a tiny drop of blood on his back, and I still can’t tell where it came from, I inspected him thoroughly and found no marks or cuts. As soon as I put him in his cage he laid down with his legs stretched back. I sat with him for a while just petting him and gave him a bowl of water which he drank right up. I gave him his favorite treats, some greens, and hay which he all ate normally. He is acting timid and remaining in the corner of his cage but comes to me when I sit in there with him. But he is grooming himself a lot which is concerning. I don’t think he pooped yet either but it has only been an hour (checking for GI stasis). Overall he seems okay and I don’t think my dog hurt him in any way, my dog is less than 10 pounds, so only a little bigger than him. But I’m just worried about the stress he was under when the dog was chasing him and I was reading that bunny’s can die from fear hours or even days after the incident. Do you think I should be worried about him passing away unexpectedly in the next few days or since he’s eating he should be okay? I feel so bad

Samm I am sorry to hear this. What a shock for you and Oliver!

Keep Oliver as quiet and calm as you can. No surprises for him and I wouldn't let him outside for about the next three days or so. I am ultra cautious with things like shock. You are obviously quite aware of all these things, and yes a bunny can become poorly as a result of a shock (which lowers the immune system).

Keep a close eye. Let me know how he goes, will you?
Contact me privately if you prefer :)

So sorry this has happened, what a shock for you all. It's good that he's eating, I would keep a close eye on him and make sure he is poo'ing soon. Is he grooming a particular area a lot or just all over?

All over, not just one spot so it’s not like he’s grooming where he got injured. It was a nervous 5 hours with no poop, but he finally pooped and a lot!

Thanks! He seems to be his normal self again and is choosing to come out of his cage. I have an extender on his cage and he can come in and out of his cage as he pleases. So I think that’s a good sign. I’m still nervous about it and keeping a good eye on him!

Thanks! He seems to be his normal self again and is choosing to come out of his cage. I have an extender on his cage and he can come in and out of his cage as he pleases. So I think that’s a good sign. I’m still nervous about it and keeping a good eye on him!

Sounds like he will be A-OK :D

Back