• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on handling wild rabbit with myxomatosis

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
So I picked the poor bunny up in a blanket, put it in a carrier, took her to the vet who put her down. They gave me G9 spray to disinfect everything but the concentration is not on the bottle.
Have sprayed it everywhere including the carrier, the bottom of my shoes and the car and put the blanket and my clothes in the wash at 30 degrees.
Is this enough to protect my buns whose vaccinations were about a month ago given that I clearly have myxi in the neighbourhood?

We can never really know for certain can we, but I'd have thought so - myxo virus isn't spread by contact in the same way that RHD is, it requires direct blood/open membrane transmission, so the risk would be tiny I'd imagine. People have kept bonded pairs together while nursing one through myxo and the other has been fine [albeit they are at higher risk because a biting insect could draw up the virus from one and then bite the other]. I'm sure poor bunny would have been glad to see an end to its suffering, little darling. Thank you for helping her.

Back