• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Old Does she have to be???

Mogs

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

Having never had a baby doe before as all my other buns have been adults, I've read she has to be 6 months before she can go to the vets to be done ( wicked mummy)

Billie is now 4 months old and is driving me mad as she can smell the others on me I'm getting sprayed at least twice a day ( and somebody told me females don't spray!!!) well I did think she was a boy when I got her but we (me & My vet) have decided she is definately a he!!!!

She is a very adorable French Lop so is huge already ( pictures as soon as I can get a camers) can I have her done earlier?

I would appreciate any help and it would certainly cut down my washing!!

What do you all think?

Bye for now

Mogs
Mum to - Billie,Fudge,Bubble,Squeak,Buttons.Pipkin and Pinkly & Perky

Is it possible you're wrong about the age? I asked about Monopoly yesterday as she's not 6 months yet and she's already mounting Sheffield and our vet said that she was heavy enough for the op and after she's off her antibiotics he's happy for her to be booked in. Might be worth taking her in to see your vet.

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps it is size then rather than age!

I'm sure the vet would be happy to do her now, but just wanted to know what evryone else thinks.

Thanks for your reply

Mogs

Hiya,

Blueberry has just been done at 6 months, I spoke to the vet about doing it earlier as she is big (french lop) but said wait till she's 6m, apparently the bigger bunnies take longer to develop.

I didn't have any problems with spraying though, but then she was not around other bunnies.

My vets told me 12 weeks, mine are 12 and 14 today so that is why they are going in for the appt to see what we can do!

Hi Everyone,

Just phoned my vet and they said 4/5 months!!

Seems strange we all keep getting different answers!

I would hate to do it too early and have problems!

Mogs

sorry, i'm a bit confused is billie a girl or boy?

if she's a girl then, inline with my research, beck's has it right

I spoke to the vet about doing it earlier as she is big (french lop) but said wait till she's 6m, apparently the bigger bunnies take longer to develop.

i've a french lop (male) he was neutered yesterday. i don't know how old he is, i'm guessing less than 1 but more definitely more than 4 months; he's a fair size already, in the last week or so he started behaving hormonally so i took him to the vets and bingo, testicles were found and subsequently removed.

Juliex

ps - looking forward to your pics

Hi,

Yes Billie is a girl!!!

I did want a boy and when I got her they thought she was, but I would not change her for the world now.

She leeps across the lounge like an incoming torpedo and lands on my lap with a big thump. She also poos for Britain and the largest ones you have ever seen

Mogs

Mogs said:
She leeps across the lounge like an incoming torpedo and lands on my lap with a big thump. She also poos for Britain and the largest ones you have ever seen

:lol: :lol: Sounds exactly like Blueberry!!

Back