• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat deterrant

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
Because of the warmer nights I've been leaving Luna's access to her run open however I happened to look out the window at her the other night and there was a massive white cat running around her run. I ran out and chased him away and she was hiding but was froze to the spot and her heart was racing poor girl.

I locked her up and again last night whilst I sort out deterring this cat - it's the second time he's been in our garden only recently. I've tried lion poo with cats before to limited effect and the cat ornaments you can stake into your grass. Would it be cruel to put strips on the fence or near the run so it can't get close? Any other ideas, I don't want her locked up

A water pistol is good if you can get near enough. Does it come in during the day? Mine are all locked away to be safe. You can use that spiky stuff, they recommend it on UK Rabbits.

I found a large super-soaker type water pistol works best if it is one or 2 determined cats that you are trying to deter. They have a good range so you can leave it by the door for when you see the intruder. Hopefully, the cat will get then fed up and find something else to do.

I would be more worried by other predators and look at ways to make it safer for your rabbit to be out. eg. If the run is fully enclosed, can you double fence it off? Or provide some boxes / tunnels, etc that the rabbit can easily access to hide away.

It just seems to be this one cat atm. The times it has been in so far is both around 11/12pm. Silly question but can foxes scale fences? Our garden is completly enclosed by walls/ fences but I have seen a fox across the road, we live by fields/ countryside etc.

But I'm okay locking her up at night then, I thought she needed constant access to run but if will ease my mind if not

Last edited:
It just seems to be this one cat atm. The times it has been in so far is both around 11/12pm. Silly question but can foxes scale fences? Our garden is completly enclosed by walls/ fences but I have seen a fox across the road, we live by fields/ countryside etc.

But I'm okay locking her up at night then, I thought she needed constant access to run but if will ease my mind if not

In my view the answer to this is to do what feels best for you in your situation. My rabbits have a shed plus runs attached. I lock them up in the shed at night, although I know that other people would leave them out. Whilst it is true that a run has to be completely predator-proof both day and night, one of us is around the house or garden almost every day and so provides that extra feeling of security. We live in a rural area and have chickens, two of which have been attacked during the daytime by a fox (one sadly died) on two separate occasions. Yes, foxes can scale fences and will do so.

Regarding cats, we have only recently got this problem, as our nearest neighbour has obtained a cat. Unfortunately the cat comes into the garden, which I very much object to. It's a controversial issue, but I do not agree with the concept that it's OK for any animal to trespass into another's garden. We have rabbits, chickens and feed wild birds. Three very good reasons why we absolutely do not want a cat visiting. I caught the cat sitting on top of the rabbit run last week and Tui was keeping herself at the other end and looking nervous. This for me is unacceptable.

Foxes can easily scale a 6' fence. I've seen them do it in my garden. They are quite determined if there is a potential meal. They used to devastate the chickens on the allotments, and they kill for the sake of it rather than just for food. There are young foxes very close to us on an evening at the moment and I don't feel that a standard rabbit run in a fully enclosed garden is enough to keep my rabbits safe after dark, so I lock them in overnight.

In my view the answer to this is to do what feels best for you in your situation. My rabbits have a shed plus runs attached. I lock them up in the shed at night, although I know that other people would leave them out. Whilst it is true that a run has to be completely predator-proof both day and night, one of us is around the house or garden almost every day and so provides that extra feeling of security. We live in a rural area and have chickens, two of which have been attacked during the daytime by a fox (one sadly died) on two separate occasions. Yes, foxes can scale fences and will do so.

Regarding cats, we have only recently got this problem, as our nearest neighbour has obtained a cat. Unfortunately the cat comes into the garden, which I very much object to. It's a controversial issue, but I do not agree with the concept that it's OK for any animal to trespass into another's garden. We have rabbits, chickens and feed wild birds. Three very good reasons why we absolutely do not want a cat visiting. I caught the cat sitting on top of the rabbit run last week and Tui was keeping herself at the other end and looking nervous. This for me is unacceptable.

I'm with Omi on the issue of cats roaming in other people's gardens. I've had many an issue with cats straying into my garden and I struggle at times to understand the logic of having a pet that you boot out to go and patrol for food in everyone else's property. I don't put my rabbits in my neighbours garden so I don't quite get why some cat owners think it's ok for their cats to stalk other people's pets in their own property.

if there is no way under the fence, you can get plastic spikes to stick on top of the fence. a lot of people have had great success others haven't found them to be any luck. they cause no injury, just discomfort to walk on. if you place them close together so there is no fence between then they have no option but to walk on them.

spraying a load of citrus along the fence can help plenty as cats utterly hate citrus, orange especially.

our foxes seem to lazy to jump fences :lol:

I don't agree with outdoor cats personally - they're mostly a nuisance and just do damage to property or pets. the cat also has a much higher mortality rate, getting hit by cars, dogs, other cats, getting lost or chased from home. a lot of kitties are stressed and some even refuse to head outside as they're terrified of another cat being there. they live their lives in such stress imho. I don't understand what good there is of it, they're much safer and happier inside. but that's another debate.

your bunny doesn't need access to a run 24/7 as long as they have a large area to stay in of a night. I think its mostly advocated as a hutch isn't large enough for a long amount of time.

I think it's difficult with cats sometimes, I do worry a lot about my bunnies when they're out because I live in a built up area where everyone seems to own a cat and lots of the cats hang out in my garden... (and one ginger cat likes to launch its self through my open bedroom window - I often wake up in the morning and the cats asleep between me and my boyfriend) not ideal as I have a pretty horrendous cat allergy! And it's a real issue because in the summer we need to have the window open but at the same time I'm always taking allergy tablets (doesn't help we sleep on ground floor)

I'm kinda 50/50 - I understand everyone who doesn't like it and I get that it's kinda odd that you could own a pet and it spends its whole day in other people's places and they are a huge issue for wildlife and people's animals but I don't think I could resort to scaring them off or putting up spikes, seems a little mean.. But then we have to protect our own animals. It's a real tough one. I provide lots of hides and when cats get close Atticus tends to hide and Clementine tends to scare the cats away actually [emoji38]

I think maybe the water pistol suggestion is a good idea, as it won't hurt the cat but it'll start to associate being in your garden with a negative outcome? Altho unless you're around all the time may not be very effective... Do those things that make a noise we can't hear work?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm with Omi on the issue of cats roaming in other people's gardens. I've had many an issue with cats straying into my garden and I struggle at times to understand the logic of having a pet that you boot out to go and patrol for food in everyone else's property. I don't put my rabbits in my neighbours garden so I don't quite get why some cat owners think it's ok for their cats to stalk other people's pets in their own property.

Deleted my response.

Last edited:
Back