• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding next weekend worrys

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I'm getting really nervous now. I just want Toby to be happy :, ( I hope it goes well. If it doesn't he will be very stressed and I'm worried about stasis or his heart condition.

Any tips to make it as least stressful as possible for us all? I'm going to buy a fresh pet remedy for it.

I had a dream last night I was bonding all sorts of bunnys I had in the past so it's obviously on my mind a lot

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It is scary I know! The only tip I can come up with is to try to remain calm, maybe have a little music on low, have plenty of boxes or other distractions if you are doing it in a big space and then try to get on with things but keeping an eye on them as from a distance. Lots of bonding vibes coming your way.

I agree with tonibun's advice.

I think you will know fairly early on whether it is going to be successful or not. I would also say to go with your gut feeling in how you arrange things. You know your rabbits better than anyone else and will be able to judge how they are coping.

Sending lots of calming bonding vibes your way. Try not to worry because bunnies can pick up on stresses I think. And whatever happens, Toby will always be happy anyway, he’s so well looked after and has such a good setup.

I found lots of herbs and forage helpedfed in a pile in the middle with some hay, my rosemary bush needed pruning and afterwards I read that it has a calming effect on bunnies :thumb:

I found some wine (in the evening!) helped (me, not the bunnies :shock: :lol:)

If I hadn't of had the issues with Toby and Millie passing away from stasis I wouldn't be as worried. Then if it successful I have to go back to work on Tuesday and I will be so worried about leaving them.

How long would you all supervise before you was happy for them to be on their own? I only have four days?

I have to bond on my own so risk leaving them when I pop to the loo. I bond in my bedroom and am a very light sleeper so I always wake up if there is any scuffling overnight. On occasions when I have had to leave them alone for longer than a loo break I have put a temporary divider up for my own piece of mind. That isn't ideal but it has never affected the bonding process and I need to eat!!!

I try to do something while I am sitting in the bedroom - often catch up with TV on the laptop or read. I find if I just sit and look at them I get really stressed and they pick up on it.

I am working two jobs on Friday but could come over on the way to or from my second job just to reassure you if that would help? I start job two at 1600 and finish at 2200 in Winchester. At the moment I am free on Saturday and Sunday and working Monday 0700-1300. I can come over Saturday morning and spend as long with you as you would like. At least then I can relieve you and your hubby so you can cook something and take the dog out. I can probably stay overnight on Friday or Saturday if it helps - will need to check with my neighbour if she can feed my furries but my buns are in her garden anyway so there shouldn't be a problem.

Am off dog walking now (Borrow my Doggy) and then to work but am around later. If you are really worried on Tuesday I could spend some time with them as I am off work at the moment.

All will be well:):)

I have to bond on my own so risk leaving them when I pop to the loo. I bond in my bedroom and am a very light sleeper so I always wake up if there is any scuffling overnight. On occasions when I have had to leave them alone for longer than a loo break I have put a temporary divider up for my own piece of mind. That isn't ideal but it has never affected the bonding process and I need to eat!!!

I try to do something while I am sitting in the bedroom - often catch up with TV on the laptop or read. I find if I just sit and look at them I get really stressed and they pick up on it.

I am working two jobs on Friday but could come over on the way to or from my second job just to reassure you if that would help? I start job two at 1600 and finish at 2200 in Winchester. At the moment I am free on Saturday and Sunday and working Monday 0700-1300. I can come over Saturday morning and spend as long with you as you would like. At least then I can relieve you and your hubby so you can cook something and take the dog out. I can probably stay overnight on Friday or Saturday if it helps - will need to check with my neighbour if she can feed my furries but my buns are in her garden anyway so there shouldn't be a problem.

Am off dog walking now (Borrow my Doggy) and then to work but am around later. If you are really worried on Tuesday I could spend some time with them as I am off work at the moment.

All will be well:):)
Are you talking about this weekend or next (bank holiday?

Sending lots of calming bonding vibes your way. Try not to worry because bunnies can pick up on stresses I think. And whatever happens, Toby will always be happy anyway, he’s so well looked after and has such a good setup.

I found lots of herbs and forage helpedfed in a pile in the middle with some hay, my rosemary bush needed pruning and afterwards I read that it has a calming effect on bunnies :thumb:

I found some wine (in the evening!) helped (me, not the bunnies :shock: [emoji38])
I was wondering what forage may be calming! Clutching at straws perhaps!

Apparently Rosemary has a calming effect. You should feel happy about leaving them after 3 days, possibly earlier. I think it's going to be fine. Are they OK with visitors?

If I hadn't of had the issues with Toby and Millie passing away from stasis I wouldn't be as worried. Then if it successful I have to go back to work on Tuesday and I will be so worried about leaving them.

How long would you all supervise before you was happy for them to be on their own? I only have four days?

I have never had a pair that wasn't satisfactorily bonded within 48 hours. They come to me, I bond them, and then they go home to a clean environment. I've done dozens and none failed, so I'm sure you'll be OK xx

Rosemary & Lavender are supposed to be calming. I hope the bonding goes well. I can appreciate you're worried about potential stress to Toby. I had similar feelings about bonding Mouse (who'd previously had stress induced head tilt & EC). At the end of the day its up to your bunnies whether they want to be together but its up to you to be brave enough to give them a chance to sort it out - I have a good feeling about about Maple & Toby (Joey agrees). I hope they make it easy for you xxx

Calming bonding vibes have been sent on their way to you, I agree with you doing other things to distract yourself whilst they're doing their things. I read a book and talked to them when I last did it. I'll be doing mine soon. Looking forward to it but do feel nervous thinking about it x

Can I just ask- what bonding method do people use? MightyMax sent me lots of great links, but wanted to know everyone's preferred method.

Can I just ask- what bonding method do people use? MightyMax sent me lots of great links, but wanted to know everyone's preferred method.

We are a bit divided Some use a big space with lots to do (that's me) and some prefer a small space. I must admit there seems to be more in favour of the small space, so it seems both methods work.

Thanks tonibun- how long do people/ you usually leave them in this space for? And do you partition them in two cages before they're placed together? This is what I read on the RWAF website....

I'm going to bonding for the first time in July so am trying to get prepared. Thanks so much :love:

Thanks tonibun- how long do people/ you usually leave them in this space for? And do you partition them in two cages before they're placed together? This is what I read on the RWAF website....

I'm going to bonding for the first time in July so am trying to get prepared. Thanks so much :love:
I am doing a side by side slow bond. Started in febuary and meeting next week in a neutral space. In the mean time the room they was living in will be white vinegared and items replaced for new neural territory before they move back in .
3a3a74ff9aca3828d97c0e48066559ee.jpg

I've used both methods :wave:

For a pair I would use more space than for a group. Simply because it's a far easier bond :)

I have only ever done one bond. A quad (still happy together 5 years and 2 moves later). I had a large pen in my bedroom with a litter tray each plus one extra and loads od grass hay and forage. It was fascinating and kind of scary. Best of luck. Hope it all goes well.

I have only ever done one bond. A quad (still happy together 5 years and 2 moves later). I had a large pen in my bedroom with a litter tray each plus one extra and loads od grass hay and forage. It was fascinating and kind of scary. Best of luck. Hope it all goes well.
Did you ever have to leave them for work etc in early stages of bonding?

Back