• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

long car journeys for buns

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I've noticed that mine now get stressed when I put them in the pet carriers, they really start breathing rapidly. I suppose they associate it with the Vets. Any ideas on making car journeys less stressful for the little possums?

start putting them in there carriers for more pleasant things, like a special treat so they learn not to associate the carrier with the vets. Also try taking them on short journeys resulting in lots of fuss and treats so they get used to it. Before taking them on a long journey you can give a few drops of rescue remedy this works wonders to calm them down.

Yvonne

I've left it a bit late for the little trips as their big one is on Saturday morning :oops: how do you administer the rescue remedy to them?

Hi luvabun,

Hmm not sure.
Does your rabbit live in a rabbit cage? If so, how big is it? Me, my boyfriend and Toby (my bun) travel all the way to Grimsby from Surbiton and that’s about a 5 hr journey. We just secure his cage on the back seat with seatbelts and put a folded blanket on top of the cage to stop things rattling. Toby seems fine in the car. His even use to car journeys now...but the water bottle does tent to run. I think it is better if the rabbit can see what’s going on, otherwise he/she can get stressed so we keep him in his cage. Just be careful going round those round-abouts :lol:

Hiya Jill....here are my tips for car journeys.
1) Put a few drops of RESCUE REMEDY in the bunnies drinking water for a few days prior to the journey, and I will do the same after they arrive here :D

2) Dot Lavender Oil around the inside of the carrier (out of reach of the bunnies though..under of top of carrier?) to keep them calm and relaxed.

3) Cover the carrier with a towel to make it dark, bunnies settle better when transported like this.

4) Play nice soothing music in the car for them (and you the car driver :lol: )

5) Take short breaks in the car along the way, and check bunnies are okay.

6) Ensure water and hay is available all the time. We pop hay into a tissue box and the rabbits lie on a thick towel or Vet bed inside the carrier.

Hope that helps :D
On a positive note we take bunnies all over the Place , and we find they do not get stressed if we do the above..it is us that gets more stressed on car journeys than the rabbits :lol:

They live outdoors in hutches so are being transported in your bog standard pet carrier. I'll put them on the back seat with a light cover on the top... or, put them on the floor facing each other....

Oww I for one would have to be careful with the Lavender Oil - anything nice smelling or strong turns Tobys stomach :) I have to be very careful with the air freshener around the apartment - I know when Ive gone over the top about half hour later :lol:

Maybe we can take a few tips from the old rabbit breeders of yesteryear...

Many years ago, up until the 1950's, it was possible to send rabbits unaccompanied by train, to shows. The owner would put the rabbit on the train at one end, and it would be met and cared for at the other, by show officials. This was the way for cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, pigeons, poultry and many other animals for at least 50 years.

Part of the secret of the rabbits travelling well - and arriving in good enough condition to compete at a show!! - was the design of the travelling box. It is now getting hard to find people who make these heavy traditional wooden boxes, but they are basically small, dark, enclosed and warm - but well ventilated using a system of vents & baffles, and as strong as iron to protect the rabbit in case of rough handling by railway staff.

Rabbits like the dark, and the feeling of an enclosed space, like a burrow. If they are frightened, they will stay still and cope, rather than panic, and the size of these boxes reflected that. Too big, and a panicking rabbit could hurt itself. Also if there was some kind of accident (or even braking sharply in a car these days) there wasn't much room for the rabbit to be thrown across the box.... like a pea in a biscuit tin! They also tend to be much happier if secure in the dark, rather than being able to see out. If you have a rabbit which doesn't like travelling, I would definitely recommend something dark & snug.

I once knew some people whose French Lop loved to spread himself along the back window ledge of their car. The owners delighted in this, and enjoyed the looks they got from other motorists! He travelled up & down the country to various shows, until one day when the driver had to do an emergency stop. Not only did the poor bunny, flying across the car, almost render the driver unconscious when he hit her on the back of the head, but it was a miracle he didn't go through the windscreen. As it was, he ended up wedged under one of the pedals.... and he travelled in a small enclosed dark box after that, safe and secure, and much less stressed.

There are various recommended sizes for these type of boxes, according to breed/size/weight, and I'll be happy to post the sizes if anyone's interested.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on the rabbit really. If he/she is a shy bunny then maybe the dark would calm the bun, though I would try both to make sure. However if the bun is fairly lively and curious like Toby then they may hate the dark :) Toby hates being in carriers or boxes...taking him to the vets is a pain, as he will force the lid of a box open or with will scratch and chew inside. So for short journeys to the vets I have him on my knee in the car :lol: So yeah, its all about demonstrating :)

Adele said:
Hiya Jill....here are my tips for car journeys.

4) Play nice soothing music in the car for them (and you the car driver :lol: )

5) Take short breaks in the car along the way, and check bunnies are okay.

6) Ensure water and hay is available all the time. We pop hay into a tissue box and the rabbits lie on a thick towel or Vet bed inside the carrier.

Hope that helps :D
On a positive note we take bunnies all over the Place , and we find they do not get stressed if we do the above..it is us that gets more stressed on car journeys than the rabbits :lol:

Thanks for the tips, Rscue Remedy on the shopping list for tomorrow and I guess the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring or Muse are out then???

Pendragon said:
Maybe we can take a few tips from the old rabbit breeders of yesteryear...

Rabbits like the dark, and the feeling of an enclosed space, like a burrow. If they are frightened, they will stay still and cope, rather than panic, and the size of these boxes reflected that. Too big, and a panicking rabbit could hurt itself. Also if there was some kind of accident (or even braking sharply in a car these days) there wasn't much room for the rabbit to be thrown across the box.... like a pea in a biscuit tin! They also tend to be much happier if secure in the dark, rather than being able to see out. If you have a rabbit which doesn't like travelling, I would definitely recommend something dark & snug.

There are various recommended sizes for these type of boxes, according to breed/size/weight, and I'll be happy to post the sizes if anyone's interested.

There's me thinking they need a bigger carrier than the one I've got. Following this, I'll put some straw in the ones I have and a box of hay, keep 'em covered, make frequent pit stops and all should be OK.

Many thanks xx

My rabbits seem to enjoy car rides. Bob especially likes Dire Straits on the CD player. Clio likes Sophie B Hawkins.
I think all buns are different. If we are just driving about locally they all like to sit on my lap and look out the window.

However, if I was on the motorway I would want my bun in a strapped in box.

Back