• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Laboured breathing

lindac

Warren Scout
Dubbs seems to be breathing a bit more heavily than usual...i can see him rock slightly with each breath now. And he seems a bit quieter - but no less hungry. Do you think the Metacam might be causing this, or maybe he is just getting weaker due to his cancer? I'm guessing if he is heavy breathing that he is uncomfortable? But if he is uncomfortable he wouldn't let me handle him would he? I wish rabbits could talk!

I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday for a check-up...bit worried it might be time :-(

hi, i dont think i would be the metacam. that is a pain relief but also helps swelling and Arthritis,
i have a heavy breather but nuthing it wrong with it, i also have on that some times breaths heavy and sometings Whistles caue as a baby it was in the pen and one was running loses and she stuck her nose throught and another rabbit bit is and it have to have stiches and never healed bk the same so she has a odd lip lol
i dont know if it is the cancer or not cause i dont know how it affects rabbit but hope he feels better soon
becky

Oh Dear I am sorry to hear this ...it could possibly be a sign that the Cancer has reached the lungs...I am sorry I cannot remember where you said the Cancer had started????..however, this in itself does not necessarily mean the end. The lungs do not have any nerves so it should not be painful.
(We had a rabbit with Lung Cancer that lived for three years with the condition and her quality of life was still good right to the very end)
The other thing that comes to mind, is that Dubbs has an infection (the Cancer makes them vulnerable to secondary infections) and may need antibiotics..is he already on antibiotics?

To aid breathing you could put a dot of Vicks on a hot water bottle outside Dubbs hutch so he can breathe in the vapours but not get Vick on his eyes/ face.
Or dot some lavender Oil around where he sits, but out of his reach.
PLace a couple of bowls of hot steaming water around him, but again out of reach, you could pop him in a carrier and place the bowls infront so he can breathe in steam from the safetly of the carrier (do not put the bowls where he can run into them)
Hope this helps. and to reassure you, I doubt Dubbs is in pain if he is having Metacam. Is he still eating alright, as that is a good sign of whether he is uncomfortable or not??

Best wishes

Thanks everyone. He is eating still but his poos are smaller and dryer. He lets me pick him up and cuddle him which he would not allow before he was on metacam. I'm taking him to the vets tomorrow for a check up and some advice.

I wish you and dubbs all the luck in the world tomorrow , let us know how you get on . sending big hugs and bunny kisses from cheeky . xx

thanks for your lovely words as usual!

Going to the vets this afternoon, will let you know how we get on tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again

Back