• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does rabbits eat their own Regular poo (I'm not talking about not cecotropes)

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I have notice 2 of my bunnies, my bun Minnie and my bridge bun Bobby, both eat their own regular poos. And this is NOT those ceceotropes (cecum), as they eat those too

I can tell they eat regular poo based on the chewing sound , because cecotrope has no sound.

I also know from experience that rabbits like to lick their own urine, I don't know why neither, although I'm guessing a rabbit wants to find out their own state of health by licking their own urine.

So, here's my situation, for the past 15+ years, I don't use plastic tray, I use towel, so they pee on the towel.

As such, I'm wondering is it because they can't lick their own urine, and because of that, they eat their own poos to find out their state of health? THis is just my own theory.

Can anyone tell me why they eat their own regular poos?

Mine do this occasionally, no idea why! Also Elmo will bend over like he's trying to eat a caecotroph straight from his butt, but instead he picks out regular hard poos with his mouth and drops them in the litter tray, it's very odd, maybe he can 'feel' a caecotroph and is just getting the regular ones out of the way

Back