• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

F10 Germicidal Wound Spray with Insecticide

Graciee

Staff member
Opinions/stories/musings anything you like really, throw them at me!

Never used chemicals for fly strike before, I'm a clean freak and make sure buns are nice a clean, and check bums twice a day. However Atticus has gut issues, and always has like a watery diarrhoea on himself all of the time unfortunately :( So spoke to my vet and he suggested F10 as it's apparently easier to apply than rearguard and a lot cheaper. I'm seriously considering it, but i've read some very negative reviews saying it burnt skin or made the rabbit ill etc.

Also they groom their underneath yet it says it shouldn't be ingested - how does that work?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've used it on a couple of rabbits with open wounds from jaw abscess surgery. They were outdoor rabbits who hated being inside, and were a very high risk of fly strike from the infected holes in their faces.

Rearguard can't be used on wounds, broken skin, etc; can only be used on the rump area, is expensive (typically over £20 per application), has to be re-applied if it is washed off (so that's another £20)..
F10 with insecticide is much easier to use as it is a hand pump spray (rather than a dabber sponge with Rearguard), can be used more frequently and on any area of skin, and is definitely cheaper (£13ish for 100ml which will do many applications of a couple of squirts). I had no issues with it and no side effects. I would not use Rearguard again, even if it was appropriate to do so as I found it very difficult to apply and it often reduces appetite (which isn't good in an already compromised rabbit).

In your situation, there isn't much choice as Rearguard would be washed off too frequently to make it worth using. Flystrike is an awful condition and one of the few things that I would seriously consider PTS as a viable option without querying it. The F10 with insecticide will give some decent protection. The instructions say to spray on and let it dry. As it's approved for use in rabbits, I assume it can be ingested through grooming. I certainly had no side effects with it, and the 2 rabbits had a much improved quality and length of life because of it.

Remember that it is toxic to cats, so make sure that cats can't come into contact with the treated rabbits or their enclosure.

I've used it on a couple of rabbits with open wounds from jaw abscess surgery. They were outdoor rabbits who hated being inside, and were a very high risk of fly strike from the infected holes in their faces.

Rearguard can't be used on wounds, broken skin, etc; can only be used on the rump area, is expensive (typically over £20 per application), has to be re-applied if it is washed off (so that's another £20)..
F10 with insecticide is much easier to use as it is a hand pump spray (rather than a dabber sponge with Rearguard), can be used more frequently and on any area of skin, and is definitely cheaper (£13ish for 100ml which will do many applications of a couple of squirts). I had no issues with it and no side effects. I would not use Rearguard again, even if it was appropriate to do so as I found it very difficult to apply and it often reduces appetite (which isn't good in an already compromised rabbit).

In your situation, there isn't much choice as Rearguard would be washed off too frequently to make it worth using. Flystrike is an awful condition and one of the few things that I would seriously consider PTS as a viable option without querying it. The F10 with insecticide will give some decent protection. The instructions say to spray on and let it dry. As it's approved for use in rabbits, I assume it can be ingested through grooming. I certainly had no side effects with it, and the 2 rabbits had a much improved quality and length of life because of it.

Remember that it is toxic to cats, so make sure that cats can't come into contact with the treated rabbits or their enclosure.
Sorry for slow reply, this is super helpful though thanks :)

Bit concerned about the cat thing... I don't have any cats but there's a few cats which come hang out in the garden everyday.. And the buns pen gets moved all the time.. So the whole grass would end up with the stuff on probably :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

There's only so much you can do about visiting cats. As long as they don't have direct contact with the rabbits (which I assume they don't, for the safety of the rabbits), they will have minimal contact with the insecticide. Anything left on the grass etc will be minimal and will wash away / biodegrade with the weather.

I hope all goes well.

There's only so much you can do about visiting cats. As long as they don't have direct contact with the rabbits (which I assume they don't, for the safety of the rabbits), they will have minimal contact with the insecticide. Anything left on the grass etc will be minimal and will wash away / biodegrade with the weather.

I hope all goes well.
Ah that makes me feel a a bit better :) yea no cats get near buns, I was just concerned about residue on grass - I'm gunna order some now - thanks for all your help :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back