• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tui's nesting

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Within the last half an hour Tui has started to build a nest. For couple of days she has been moving hay around in all of the litter trays, so that it is all pushed up to one end of each tray. She's now very busy removing large mouthfuls of hay from the outside litter tray and taking into through the catflap into the shed and depositing it in the large litter tray in the shed. The outside litter tray is now almost devoid of hay. I guess she will start on the others soon.....

What should I do about the situation? Will it upset her to rearrange or clean any of the trays today?

Within the last half an hour Tui has started to build a nest. For couple of days she has been moving hay around in all of the litter trays, so that it is all pushed up to one end of each tray. She's now very busy removing large mouthfuls of hay from the outside litter tray and taking into through the catflap into the shed and depositing it in the large litter tray in the shed. The outside litter tray is now almost devoid of hay. I guess she will start on the others soon.....

What should I do about the situation? Will it upset her to rearrange or clean any of the trays today?
When Clementine does this (often) I leave her to it, sometimes it can go on for days and days, now she's spayed it's normally half a day, maybe a day max. If I change anything she normally gets more stressed out, so I dump more hay in near by where she's making the nest, so she has her new hay but doesn't have to take it far. Once she's made a decent nest she tends to settle down a bit :)

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing, but that's what I do - hope Tui gets passed it soon xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's helpful :) The whole shed looks like a bombs gone off :lol:

She's started on her fur now and I even saw her carrying a mouthful of Kale shoots into the shed, but I presume that was "nibble while you work" as I can't see them in the nest.

Oh bless, I agree that just leaving her to it is the best thing. Also, if you 'tidy away' a nest she'll just build another one.......or two......or three......

One thing to keep an eye on is her plucking fur from Tethra. This can happen and some Bunnies take exception to being plucked !

When Clementine does this (often) I leave her to it, sometimes it can go on for days and days, now she's spayed it's normally half a day, maybe a day max. If I change anything she normally gets more stressed out, so I dump more hay in near by where she's making the nest, so she has her new hay but doesn't have to take it far. Once she's made a decent nest she tends to settle down a bit :)

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing, but that's what I do - hope Tui gets passed it soon xx

That's exactly what I did when my bridge bun Scrappy had a phantom pregnancy just before she was spayed. I just let her get on with it and kept refilling the litter tray with hay when she emptied it. She lost interest in it after a day or so and didn't seem at all bothered when I then cleared it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh bless, I agree that just leaving her to it is the best thing. Also, if you 'tidy away' a nest she'll just build another one.......or two......or three......

One thing to keep an eye on is her plucking fur from Tethra. This can happen and some Bunnies take exception to being plucked !

Thanks and thanks for the warning about Tethra :)

OH is a bit concerned!

That's exactly what I did when my bridge bun Scrappy had a phantom pregnancy just before she was spayed. I just let her get on with it and kept refilling the litter tray with hay when she emptied it. She lost interest in it after a day or so and didn't seem at all bothered when I then cleared it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and thanks for the warning about Tethra :)

OH is a bit concerned!

Tell him it's just those pesky female hormone issues !! If Tui was an entire Buck your OH may find himself being chased, sprayed with wee and ankle nipped. So it could be worse !!

Thanks, that's helpful :) The whole shed looks like a bombs gone off [emoji38]

She's started on her fur now and I even saw her carrying a mouthful of Kale shoots into the shed, but I presume that was "nibble while you work" as I can't see them in the nest.
Yea they really know how to make a mess [emoji38]

At first it was kinda sweet watching it but Clementine gets so crazy about it, it actually makes me sad to see, she tires herself out doing it poor thing. But she's always okay after :)

As Jane said, Clementine recently had one and now her and Atticus are together she did pluck some of his fur... He wasn't too impressed but didn't seem to be too much of a scrap haha

Hopefully once she is spayed it won't happen anymore :)

Jane, is it normal for buns to still do this a little after being spayed? Because Clementine still does it? xx

Aww, your baby girl. I bet she looks heartbreakingly adorable doing it. What does Tethra make of it all? I've never seen a doe nest IRL but Joey had a go once :lol:

Yea they really know how to make a mess [emoji38]

At first it was kinda sweet watching it but Clementine gets so crazy about it, it actually makes me sad to see, she tires herself out doing it poor thing. But she's always okay after :)

As Jane said, Clementine recently had one and now her and Atticus are together she did pluck some of his fur... He wasn't too impressed but didn't seem to be too much of a scrap haha

Hopefully once she is spayed it won't happen anymore :)

Jane, is it normal for buns to still do this a little after being spayed? Because Clementine still does it? xx

Some young Does may continue to have a few pseudo-pregnancies but they should stop eventually. I would only be concerned if they suddenly started in an older spayed Doe who had never been troubled by them before x

Some young Does may continue to have a few pseudo-pregnancies but they should stop eventually. I would only be concerned if they suddenly started in an older spayed Doe who had never been troubled by them before x

Ah okay hopefully it'll just get better, she's a year and a few months old now, since she was spayed at about 6 months old, they've definitely improved :) x

Tell him it's just those pesky female hormone issues !! If Tui was an entire Buck your OH may find himself being chased, sprayed with wee and ankle nipped. So it could be worse !!

He has experienced that :)

I think the concern is that her Mum had a litter of nine and that we were told that Tethra's neuter was not straightforward. The concern I think is thinking of all the extra accommodation he might need to construct :lol:

Aww, your baby girl. I bet she looks heartbreakingly adorable doing it. What does Tethra make of it all? I've never seen a doe nest IRL but Joey had a go once :lol:

Yes, she did look very cute, but as Grace said it also made me feel extremely sad. It made me imagine just how terrible it would have been for all these rabbits if they hadn't been rescued when they did. There would have been so many unspayed does having both real and phantom pregnancies :( Tui is one of six does just from her litter. Like Grace's Clementine, she also became very worn out and I saw her lying down in the corner of the outside run panting.

I'm not quite sure what Tethra thinks atm. I can't think he's very happy with her housekeeping in the shed. Away from the nest, it's a dreadful mess currently and I'm not going in to tidy it up until she gets off her nest and goes outside. She looks like one of the chickens hunkered down in the hay, as they have hay in their nest boxes.

Over the last couple of days she's actually started to groom Tethra's face, so it will be a shame if she now starts to pull some of his fur out :shock:

Back