• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He's eaten a WHOLE peace lilly plant... help

Jo93

Young Bun
I've just gotten back from dinner with the inlaws to find that Twix has gotten up on to a cabinet (no idea how) and has chomped his way through a WHOLE peace lilly plant. I'm talking quite a lot of steams.. the whole thing.

I'm now panicking because everything I've read on the internet so far says POISONOUS and TOXIC and I'm freaking out... :cry:

Does anyone have any experience with this?

What should I do? My plan is just to monitor him for the next hour or so before I go to bed and then call the vet first thing in the morning

I have no idea but if it were me I'd have my emergency vet details etc to hand and keep a very close watch like you are doing. I've just done a quick Google and it said to watch out for drooling, lethargy and diarrhea. It said some rabbits also suffer no ill effects from eating toxic plants. Others may advice you better, that's just what I'd do probably (but then I have a little one I can't just wake up and get in the car in the middle of the night - that's where I'm coming from)

I would be ringing a vet tonight to be honest given how toxic the plant is deemed to be. I am not sure what the toxicity causes but if it is something like kidney or liver damage they might be able to put him on a drip or drugs or something to try to minimise any damage...in which case the next few hours may be critical.

Yeah personally I would be in touch with the vets. It's always better to be on the safe side.

I know with a lot of species giving a charcoal solution helps with poisoning it absorbs some of the toxins but not 100% if it's usable with rabbits.

Activated charcoal can be given to bunnies to help absorb toxins but overall a vet would be the best solution.

Let us know how he is.

Activated charcoal can be given to bunnies to help absorb toxins but overall a vet would be the best solution.

Let us know how he is.
Ooo I didn't know that! :)

And yea, I'd get him to a vet ASAP - buns are so naughty, mine tried to eat a peace lily once and then another time a succulent - vets gave stuff and kept bun on fluids all night, but she recovered :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ooo I didn't know that! :)

And yea, I'd get him to a vet ASAP - buns are so naughty, mine tried to eat a peace lily once and then another time a succulent - vets gave stuff and kept bun on fluids all night, but she recovered :) x

I think that's the way to go Grace :) Fluids are very important in cases of suspected toxicity and as soon as possible.

Jo93 I hope your bunny will be OK :)

Please be aware that if you (or anyone) rings the poison helpline the charges will be £20 - £30 for that call. It may be more helpful to whizz the rabbit to the vet for visual inspection given those charges. Though if that's not possible it's an alternative :)

At 11pm (when this post went up), the cost of a vet visit is going to be a lot more than the £30 for the poisons helpline, although you can always ring the regular out of hours emergency vet and ask for their opinion / advice on the best course of action. Then they will also be ready with the appropriate medical response should you need to go in.

At 11pm (when this post went up), the cost of a vet visit is going to be a lot more than the £30 for the poisons helpline, although you can always ring the regular out of hours emergency vet and ask for their opinion / advice on the best course of action. Then they will also be ready with the appropriate medical response should you need to go in.

I have always found ringing the emergency vet provides a lot of incredibly helpful and genuine advice without even having to bring the rabbit in. I was simply pointing out the cost of the poisons helpline, not suggesting it shouldn't be used :)

I guess it varies from vet to vet? I personally would contact a vet first for immediate and free advice :)

I have always found ringing the emergency vet provides a lot of incredibly helpful and genuine advice without even having to bring the rabbit in. I was simply pointing out the cost of the poisons helpline, not suggesting it shouldn't be used :)

I guess it varies from vet to vet? I personally would contact a vet first for immediate and free advice :)
Yes it's good to know about, but calling the vet would be my preferred option it's free, and they may actually be able to give the bunny something :)

Thank you all for your advice and support :love:

I stayed up most of the night with him, just watching (and worrying!) and he seemed to be OK.. he was fine in himself, I just wanted to make sure he was eating and pooping/weeing OK.

By the next morning, he still seemed OK... I put some apple juice in his water to encourage him to drink more and limited his greens to try and encourage him to eat more hay. He still appears to be absolutely A-OK. Pooping and weeing as normal. Of course I'm still worried there might be inside damage (kidney/liver) but I dont really want to go to the vet unless he actually starts showing signs that he's not OK?

I'm hoping that we've just had a close call this time!!

I'm glad he appears okay.

I would take him to the vets for a blood test as once damage is done they can't reverse it so the earlier it's treated the better.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your advice and support :love:

I stayed up most of the night with him, just watching (and worrying!) and he seemed to be OK.. he was fine in himself, I just wanted to make sure he was eating and pooping/weeing OK.

By the next morning, he still seemed OK... I put some apple juice in his water to encourage him to drink more and limited his greens to try and encourage him to eat more hay. He still appears to be absolutely A-OK. Pooping and weeing as normal. Of course I'm still worried there might be inside damage (kidney/liver) but I dont really want to go to the vet unless he actually starts showing signs that he's not OK?

I'm hoping that we've just had a close call this time!!

Glad he seems OK today :)

I'm glad he appears okay.

I would take him to the vets for a blood test as once damage is done they can't reverse it so the earlier it's treated the better.

Yeah I think I will do this, just to put my mind at rest if anything - should I request a blood test or do you think they will just suggest it anyway?

I would ask for a blood test, DaphneandPhoebe is very knowledgeable so would take her suggestion seriously.

Back