• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paranoid bunny Mum

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I cleaned out Totti's litter tray this morning and it has not been refilled with a single currant. This is most unusual plus he's lying down in the closed section of the hutch (not like him). I've seen him hop to the litter tray twice and attempt to do something and he's only managed a small wee. He's not wolfed down his greens or his pellets and has only half-heartedly nibbled his carrot. Am I being paranoid or should I wisk him down to the vets pronto?

Oh Dear Jill..any change in rabbit behaviour is not a great sigh as you must be aware. Do not panic just yet, but pick Totti up and massage his tummy to see if you can stimulate things to start moving.
Does his tummy feel bloated and full of gas?

If he has not passed pellets by late afternoon then I would get him to the vets, and ask for treatment.(treatment may include drugs to stimulate the gut )
You can request fluids under the skin too incase Totti is dehydrated, and this will also help his guts indirectly.

Without a proper Vets diagnosis it is difficult, but we give KITTY MALT at the very first sign of small droppings or no droppings being passed, this is available from Pet shops.
You squirt half a teaspoon at the rabbits mouth, and it helps get things moving again, but without causing upset tummy.
Try and get Totti to eat something like grated celery which is water based (but no other greens!) and may help push things through the system.
Hope Totti will be alright :? let us know how he goes

OK I'd better remove the uneaten spring greens from the hutch then. At the moment he's hopping round the garden... I'll give him a while then attempt to catch his for a tummy massage.

luvabun said:
OK I'd better remove the uneaten spring greens from the hutch then. At the moment he's hopping round the garden... I'll give him a while then attempt to catch his for a tummy massage.

Aaah Bless.....isnt it just typical that your little darling is under the weather before your holiday, never mind, I am sure he will be fine, bunnies often get a sluggish gut attack (says she with constipation having eaten too much chocolate yesterday :oops: )..perhaps I should have the tummy massage and stick of celery next too...I think I will give the kittymalt a miss though :lol: :lol:
The fact that Totti is running around the garden is a good sign, so fingers crossed the exercise will get things moving!.

Can I get Kittymalt from the pet section at a garden centre or does it have to be an actual pet shop?

I know that some garden centres stock Kittymalt, as it is commonly used to prevent fur balls in kittens.
You can have a look and if you cannot track any down head to a pet shop instead...just make sure you buy the ORIGINAl flavour and not the Rabbit Flavour Kittymalt :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Totti may not be very impressed otherwise!.
Just squirt a bit on his mouth or a front paw so he can groom it off!.
Give up to a quarter of a teaspoon twice a day maximum if no droppings passed after a few hours of the first dose.
You can continue this for three days to ensure all the compacted food or fur that is causing the sluggish gut has passed properly.
Perhaps you could give a preventative dose once a week to both bunnies as we do for all the Sanctuary bunnies?

Hiya Jill - What are these bunster like - do they ever stop worrying us bunny mums!!

Re your query re Kitty Malt - you may be lucky enough to find some at the Garden Centre but only if it has a really comprehensive range of pet products - I got some on Adele's good advice for my bunster Buffy is can be a bit prone to Gut stoppages - normally a good petstore will have this. As its name it is malt flavored and luckily Buffy quite likes it so she will just lick it off the spoon - ahhhhhhhhhh - cheeky bunny :lol: :lol:

Adele also advised me to give Buffy's tummy a massage and this really did help - a nice warm "Snuggle safe" pad over a towel to lie your bunny on can also be comforting -

Best of luck - Hope this helps with your little bundle of trouble - keep us posted.

Awww, hope Totti feels better soon. Sounds like the first signs of Evo being poorly, don't be alarmed though, you may be able to get him feeling better on his own, if you can tempt him to eat. You could also try a bit of infacol (from the baby section). This helps a lot of buns, if they have gassy tummies.

Thaks Adele, I'm off on my mission now so I'll be quiet for a while. Better take me specs so I don't pick up the rabbit flavoured by mistake :oops: :lol: :lol:

thanks muchly xx

[quote="RallybunnyYou could also try a bit of infacol (from the baby section). This helps a lot of buns, if they have gassy tummies.[/quote]

Yes Laura has given another good product you should be able to buy from a Chemist, which we always have to hand in our rabbit first aid box too.

I will be fully stocked up here at the Rabbit Sanctuary incase Totti needs more ongoing support..dont you fret :D ...usually one or two doses does the trick brilliantly. :D

Adele said:
I will be fully stocked up here at the Rabbit Sanctuary incase Totti needs more ongoing support..dont you fret :D ...usually one or two doses does the trick brilliantly. :D[/quote said:
Adele - you are a mind reader as well!!!!!!

I'm back from a fruitless mission to the garden centre and have booked him in for the Vets this afternoon at 4.25. Thanks for all your messages and support, I'll keep you posted.

luvabun said:
At the moment he's hopping round the garden... I'll give him a while then attempt to catch his for a tummy massage.

Do you think he may have done a few poops whilst he was out in the garden? Just a thought...

Hi Mandy,

I don't think so 'cos he usually hops back in his hutch to do em in his litter tray or under his huthc and I was watching him when he went under there. Bless him.

luvabun said:
Hi Mandy,

I don't think so 'cos he usually hops back in his hutch to do em in his litter tray or under his huthc and I was watching him when he went under there. Bless him.

Blimey I wish my two did, I find little mounds of bunny currents in my garden :lol: mind you it's good for the garden.

Hope he's feeling better soon, keep us posted.

Back from the Vets - he's got Gut Statis and has had an injection of Metacolpromide (not sure of the spelling). He looked really sorry for himself and the Vet gave him a good check over. He hasn't got bloat which would be really bad and there wasn't many pellets in his gut as he hasn't eaten much. So I'm on poo patrol all night. I've booked him in again for the same time tomorrow as I'm working. This happened once before and I was so paranoid, I nearly took him into work (just the sort of thing you want to see when you're checking in for a flight...a bunny in a pet carrier.....) Its not fair for me to keep him in a pet carrier all day just so I can keep an eye on him, especially as he is fussy where he does his currants. So, I must not stress, I must not stress.... if I keep telling myself. I've got to remember that it worked before.

Thanks for all your advice and support
xx

Hope he's feeling better soon Jill. Did he get any painkiller at the vets ?

When Rob has these spells, he doesn't drink much, so I normally leave his veggies quite wet. I've heard that mint is quite good for helping settling tums, and Rob loves this too.

luvabun said:
So I'm on poo patrol all night. I've booked him in again for the same time tomorrow as I'm working. This happened once before and I was so paranoid, I nearly took him into work

This sounds just like me this time on Thursday last week! Hope he feels better soon, the metachlopramide usually works wonders, especially if he's had a painkiller too.

There was no mention of a painkiller at the Vets. I really want to just cuddle him but if I do that, I'm scared he'll hold his poos in. I've just checked and he's done 6 tiny currants. I've also given him a couple of inches of celery (folowing Aunite Adele's advice) so hopefully he's getting his fluid intake from that. *toddles off to check how many currants are there now and if any celery has been eaten* I feel a rough night coming on.......

Back