• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toby admited out of hours vets :, (

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I really thought we was getting somewhere, I really thought we was out if the woods :, ( it's been nearly two months since his last stasis episode. I was so so happy everyday I was having a little more confidence.

Yesterday we got our big timothy hay order and hay experts. He was having fun climbing on all the furniture, excitedly trying to go through the boxes. I chucked him a huge pile of hay (extra long and stalky we where so happy with this batch) and I put birch, blackberry, strawberry leaves and plaintan. He ate all the plaintan but was mostly eating lots of hay. Then he got out of his hay basket and did a huge belly press then followed by lots of uncomfortable rolling on his sides. Refused all food and treats. I just scooped him up and took him to the vets. I really cannot understand now...We completely changed his diet, pellet free high fibre.

This will be the third of fourth this year (I've lost track) and considering Millie didn't survive her second episode I always feel I am on borrowed time.

It has crossed my mind that maybe this not fair on Toby any more ? :, (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes for Toby and lots of hugs for you.

In my opinion Toby's life overall is pretty good atm :love: I hope he responds quickly to medication and come home.

This is such a shame :cry: Did he get over-excited and ate too fast? I hope he will be ok. xx
That's what I think is a trigger tonibun, I scatter his forage in hay and mix it for this reason. Maybe he still ate it too fast :(

Sending loads of vibes for Toby and lots of hugs for you.

In my opinion Toby's life overall is pretty good atm :love: I hope he responds quickly to medication and come home.
Do you think so? I am so tormented by how Millie died I don't want him to go through the same :, (

I just called the vets, he has passed poos and is eating. He's going to get checked by John today and then he can come home. Bless her what a wonderful vet looking after Toby all night (we got home at midnight) . She was the vet who saw Millie through her last night so she knows how precious Toby is to me. I'm crying I'm so happy. I think we caught the gas early so no stasis this time :, D I'm so happy he's eating. I have such good vets...its not good they know my voice on the telephone. Is that Mrs Riggs? Is it Toby? Yes :(

Last edited:
My Fiver could not eat oat hay because he would quaff a huge pile and then it would either swell because he drank a tonne of water afterwards or it would sit in him heavily due to him not drinking. I also couldn't feed him things like romaine lettuce, which ironically he loved, because it gave both him and Pip terrible gas which immediately went to stasis. :(

I hope Toby will be okay now. You're doing all you can for him, he's a very lucky bunny. :love: xxxxx

Do you think so? I am so tormented by how Millie died I don't want him to go through the same :, (

Yes and you should know me well enough by now to know that I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it :)

I think we can all get upset about the final hours/days of a rabbit's life, but in more rational moments I can appreciate that it's the life as a whole that we should focus on.

ETA I've just seen your update. I'm so pleased that Toby is eating and pooing now :D

Last edited:
Can I have your opinions on bringing Toby and Maples bonding forward to this bank holiday weekend?? Or will it be too stressful for Toby? Maple was really sad without him last night

I just called the vets, he has passed poos and is eating. He's going to get checked by John today and then he can come home. Bless her what a wonderful vet looking after Toby all night (we got home at midnight) . She was the vet who saw Millie through her last night so she knows how precious Toby is to me. I'm crying I'm so happy. I think we caught the gas early so no stasis this time :, D I'm so happy he's eating. I have such good vets...its not good they know my voice on the telephone. Is that Mrs Riggs? Is it Toby? Yes :(

Just seen your update - this is great news :)

You know your rabbits better than we do but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't put them together earlier than you thought. If you just keep everything calm then they shouldn't get too stressed, if at all, as they are used to one another's presence.

Oh Loobers! Missed this last night so it was quite a roller coaster reading your thread. I'm over the moon Toby recovered so well. PHEW.

I agree 100% with Omi - Toby has a lovely life. I'd trust you to look after my bunnies.

Bonding - you read your bunnies so well I think you are the best judge, I don't see an issue with starting sooner than planned xx

Regarding bonding Toby and Maple this weekend, I would say that if you can remain unstressed and not worry too much about this recent episode of tummy probs, I would go for it. If Toby is having a check up today with John and all is OK, I would run it past him.

As tonibun said, they are used to each other's sight and smell and I don't think you've seen any agressive behaviours from either of them. Also you know your rabbits and will be able to judge how it's going.

Just seen your update - this is great news :)

If that's at Anton, Maria recognised my voice every time - think it must be my Brummie dulcet tones.
I think it is so helpful/reassuring that they provide their own out of hours cover.

Back