• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and pet rats

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Opinions on them living in the same home? (Seperate cages)

I've been researching it a lot but wanted to see what the members opinions are.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ive had various rats and rabbits either in the same room or separate, they've never paid much attention to one another really!

I haven't had any rattys whilst I had bunnies. I do have marty the chin who lives in the same room and he is very territorial and hates the bunnies :D

Are you considering some rats? They are so cute!! There are always loads at the rspca centres as owners give them up as they "smell too much"

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I know it's not the same but I keep my rabbits and gerbils in the same room. They don't really pay each other much attention (not even when first introduced), and the bars of the gerbil cage are too narrow for them to hurt each other. Very occasionally one of the rabbits will hop up to the gerbil cage to see what's going on, or to steal any hay that's sticking out

I haven't had any rattys whilst I had bunnies. I do have marty the chin who lives in the same room and he is very territorial and hates the bunnies :D

Are you considering some rats? They are so cute!! There are always loads at the rspca centres as owners give them up as they "smell too much"

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Chins can be a bit territorial.
We've been thinking of some rats for a while now. I used to have ferrets so I know it takes cleaning to keep the smell down.

Ive had various rats and rabbits either in the same room or separate, they've never paid much attention to one another really!

Thanks. I've read a lot of stories of them happily interacting together etc.
I was a bit worried about disease transfer though.

I know it's not the same but I keep my rabbits and gerbils in the same room. They don't really pay each other much attention (not even when first introduced), and the bars of the gerbil cage are too narrow for them to hurt each other. Very occasionally one of the rabbits will hop up to the gerbil cage to see what's going on, or to steal any hay that's sticking out
That's interesting.

Jethro our gerbil is very territorial and if buns came over while he was in his play pen he would attack through the bars.

Norway rats can be territorial/aggressive. Mine was aggressive acting towards my ducks. My roof rats however are not aggressive towards my ducks. I'd probably trust them around rabbits but not norways unless I really trusted that particular rat.

Disease transfer is probably possible so it's not exactly ideal to let them interact. Of course, disease transfer is possible when it comes to lots of species. Some people let their rats and dogs or rabbits and dogs interact even though there's the risk of bordatella.

Keeping them in the same room ought to be fine though, I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:
Back