• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybun on metacam for life?

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Toby is on 15kg metacam dog (10ml) x 2 daily for the rest of his life.

Anything we should be aware of long term? I read somewhere about kidney problems?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
loobers25;7006369[B said:
]Toby is on 15kg x 2 [/B]daily for the rest of his life.

Anything we should be aware of long term? I read somewhere about kidney problems?

I hope not Loobers, surely that would knock out an elephant:lol:. Noodley was on it pretty much most of her 7-8 years. We weren't aware of any kidney problems - she was a piddle pants but always so, prob related to her EC

Hows your boy doing? x

I hope not Loobers, surely that would knock out an elephant[emoji38]. Noodley was on it pretty much most of her 7-8 years. We weren't aware of any kidney problems - she was a piddle pants but always so, prob related to her EC

Hows your boy doing? x
Oh my gosh I have just realised what I put :D.

Toby is nomming on hay and looking forward to his date will Maple

I spoke to my vet about long time usage for Arce/Elphie, and she wasn't keen. Said it was hard on the liver for long time usage as well as the kidneys. If they need daily pain relief, she'd favour something else (can't remember, sorry) and if that didn't give enough relief, tramadol.

As it is both my girls only use pain relief only as needed, so metacam is currently fine for us.

I spoke to my vet about long time usage for Arce/Elphie, and she wasn't keen. Said it was hard on the liver for long time usage as well as the kidneys. If they need daily pain relief, she'd favour something else (can't remember, sorry) and if that didn't give enough relief, tramadol.

As it is both my girls only use pain relief only as needed, so metacam is currently fine for us.

Toby has it for both pain and inflammation? Xx

I wondered if he needed it for inflammation too. I expect your vet has weighed up the pros & cons - what does he say about it?

Milk thistle is supposed to be really good for livers - I'm happy to forage some for Toby when it appears

I wondered if he needed it for inflammation too. I expect your vet has weighed up the pros & cons - what does he say about it?

Milk thistle is supposed to be really good for livers - I'm happy to forage some for Toby when it appears
Milk thistle is too advanced for me. I am only a level one forager. Dandies and plaintan are my only achievements!

I'm going to speak to him again but with everything we went through with Toby we where so caught up trying to get him back to normal i didn't get the chance to think of these questions

I'm going to speak to him again but with everything we went through with Toby we where so caught up trying to get him back to normal i didn't get the chance to think of these questions

I'm always doing that. Half the time most of the questions have dropped off my list by the time I get to ask. I am susceptible to rabbit induced panic but its very inconsistent

Mini was on metacam daily for many years, she did eventually have kidney failure but she lived for just shy of ten years and was on it for around 3 years I think.

I'm always doing that. Half the time most of the questions have dropped off my list by the time I get to ask. I am susceptible to rabbit induced panic but its very inconsistent
I suffer greatly from rabbit indused panic!

Mini was on metacam daily for many years, she did eventually have kidney failure but she lived for just shy of ten years and was on it for around 3 years I think.
Wow ten years... that's a wonderful age

I have had dogs on metacam for life, the only thing I would say is that if I bought the dog sized bottle from the vets it was £140 if I bought a vets prescription £9.60 I could get the same bottle online for £19.99 inc delivery.

I have had dogs on metacam for life, the only thing I would say is that if I bought the dog sized bottle from the vets it was £140 if I bought a vets prescription £9.60 I could get the same bottle online for £19.99 inc delivery.
What no way! Thats crazy cheaper. We get 100ml bottle (i think) for 60 something pounds.

Wow ten years... that's a wonderful age

:) thank you, considering the metacam was for arthritis from an injury she sustained at only 6 months old she did wonderfully :) she also had some tummy issues through much of her life that we managed through diet.

Of course it was all mainly through the superb care from Trinity Vets :thumb:

it is very hard on the kindeys and liver. for this reason its a good idea to get regular health checks and blood tests, perhaps 6 monthly.

Luna is only three but will likely be on metacam for the rest of her life. she has arthritis and a shallow hip socket. without her medication she's grumpy and barely moves. it was actually the cause of sore hocks all these years. her good leg just ends up completely pink and cracked and swollen. she thinks the metacam is great and goes insane when she knows its time :lol:

its not the best drug, and long term it can cause issues. but at the end of the day, if it gives quality of life for the long term I'm willing to take that risk.

What no way! Thats crazy cheaper. We get 100ml bottle (i think) for 60 something pounds.

I use AnimalDirect for my metacam. You do need to get a prescription from your vets. Most vets seem to charge about £10 for this so might be worth you enquiring.

Toby is on 15kg metacam dog (10ml) x 2 daily for the rest of his life.

I think if you kept a check on the blood profile now and again (every six months?) you might feel more reassured. But if it's something that's necessary, then there's probably not much alternative that's *not* going to potentially damage the kidneys?

Metacam is certainly very effective stuff for buns. It might be a matter of judging quality of life over longetivity i.e. even if it does shorten life at least they have a pain free one.
That said I have had 4-5 buns on metacam for periods of years and they have always died of something unrelated to kidney/liver disease.
Another thought is that different buns might be more susceptible to metacam causing liver damage than others. It is a tough call.

Back