• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care after spaying

Rabbitnovice

Young Bun
Hi, my rabbit was spayed today. All went well and she’s home now. She’s had a pain killer injection and has medicine to take in the morning.
Thing is she’s not eaten since she came home, 3hours ago, do I need to worry or is it to be expected after her op?
She’s back at the vets in the morning at 10.40. Shall I just leave her alone til then?

I've found offering coriander or other herbs gets them eating. Just keep trying her with things for now. It's not awfully long to be back home yet so she might still be feeling sorry for herself. I also offered water in a bowl too. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon who can advice when the best time to syringe feed is. Hope your bun recovers soon. Xx

I hope that your rabbit is feeling better now, and eating and pooing. It’s a long time since I had bunnies spayed, but when I did, they went off pellets a bit at first and preferred Readigrass, herbs, fresh grass and dandelion leaves. I would keep tempting her with different things, being careful with new foods so as not to upset her tummy. If she’s got more painkiller meds for this morning she might start eating after that. She might need meds to kick start her digestive system.

If she’s not eating still I would give your vets a call for advice.

She’s eating more now thanks. She went for her check at the vets and he gave another injection to get her gut going. He said she looked to be healing well.
She’s still off pellets but has eaten loads of hay today. We managed to get her pain medicine down her by squirting it on dandelions!
She’s still pulling fur out so i’m Really hoping she won’t damage her wound.
Not sure whether to continue with pain meds tomorrow. Vet said if she seems in pain then to continue. I guess a rabbit in pain doesn’t eat or hop about, is that right?
When can I relax about her dissolving stitches? When can she not damage her wound I mean? Xx

I think you should be "out of the woods" by tomorrow, not that it means she should jump on anything etc but as far as her wound goes it should be much better tomorrow, Are you able to pick her up to have a look?

It looks ok. I just couldn’t bear for her to pull at it when she’s pulling her fur out and making nests. She hates going to the vets so much. Fingers crossed it’ll be ok xx

After spaying both my girls, they were both on metacam for 5 days, as although it’s been a couple of days it’s still a big operation and bound to be painful for them..

The fur she’s probably pulling is slightly matted fur, likely from the glue or other bits they may have used, so I wouldn’t worry too much and just keep an eye that her wound doesn’t start looking too red and sore.

I would offer a heat pad as an option as they do battle to regulate their temp after surgery. And yes - no jumping for her for at least a week. xx hope shes doing well today xx

Last edited:
Back