• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fran is going to the Bridge:(

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know, Fran has EC. She was moved indoors with her two companions, on vet advice and they all had a 28 day course of Panacur. Fran was much better. She was stained underneath but kept herself clean and wasn't wet at all, she didn't move around that much but the kitchen is much smaller than the area they are used to, and she was eating well.

Now she is soaking and sore underneath again:(:( I took her back to the vet yesterday and, as I suspected, she has lost weight too. He flushed her eyes for me (one of her tear ducts was blocked) and, after discussion, we have put her back on Panacur and she has Baytril too and I can use metacam PRN if I think she needs it.

They now go outside in a covered run in my neighbour's garden during the day and back in the kitchen at night. The plan is for them to move outside permanently as soon as a suitable ramp can be made for the hutch on top of the run. Nessar kindly gave me the hutch and run some time ago. The buns couldn't go back outside where they used to live as my neighbour is having an extension built the other side of the fence enclosing them and the fence will be removed and it will be incredibly dusty and noisy. She offered to put them in her garden, which is much bigger than mine and has grass and dandelion leaves and is bunny heaven.

All three are much, much happier out there. Violet binkied - twice - when I put them in the run. Fran is moving a lot better on the grass than she was in the kitchen, although I did put rugs down on the floor. She also isn't sitting in her urine as she was in the kitchen so I am hoping when they are moved out there permanently her skin will improve. The vet has agreed it is better for them to be outside as they are so much happier now that the snow and frost have gone. It is more difficult for me to look after them but my neighbour has said I can come and go as I please. I am picking up some Rearguard later today (it was out of stock) for when I go back to work next week. At the moment I can check on Fran frequently throughout the day but once I am at work I will be out of the house for eight hours and am terrified she will get fly-strike. The vet is hoping her skin will improve with being outside and having the Baytril. If not, I will have to rethink leaving her in the garden while I am at work.

She was so much better when she was on the Panacur but now we are back to square one again:(:(:( I really want her to enjoy the summer and the vet agrees I don't need to consider PTS yet. Seeing her nomming on the grass and dandelions was wonderful and she seems to hop better on the grass.

More vibes for her would be really appreciated. I really need her skin to heal before I can let her move outside permanently on the days I am at work. Even inside I know there is a risk of flystrike but I have to work or me and the furries would be homeless.

Last edited:
Sending vibes for Fran! She'll get there, sounds like you have a lovely neighbour too. Also don't forget to look after yourself :thumb:

Sending lots of vibes for her. It sounds like your plans will really help improve her quality of life again x

Poor Frangipan :cry: I am sorry that she has deteriorated again. I hope things improve for her now that she is back on treatment xx

As some of you know, Fran has EC. She was moved indoors with her two companions, on vet advice and they all had a 28 day course of Panacur. Fran was much better. She was stained underneath but kept herself clean and wasn't wet at all, she didn't move around that much but the kitchen is much smaller than the area they are used to, and she was eating well.

Now she is soaking and sore underneath again:(:( I took her back to the vet yesterday and, as I suspected, she has lost weight too. He flushed her eyes for me (one of her tear ducts was blocked) and, after discussion, we have put her back on Panacur and she has Baytril too and I can use metacam PRN if I think she needs it.

They now go outside in a covered run in my neighbour's garden during the day and back in the kitchen at night. The plan is for them to move outside permanently as soon as a suitable ramp can be made for the hutch on top of the run. Nessar kindly gave me the hutch and run some time ago. The buns couldn't go back outside where they used to live as my neighbour is having an extension built the other side of the fence enclosing them and the fence will be removed and it will be incredibly dusty and noisy. She offered to put them in her garden, which is much bigger than mine and has grass and dandelion leaves and is bunny heaven.

All three are much, much happier out there. Violet binkied - twice - when I put them in the run. Fran is moving a lot better on the grass than she was in the kitchen, although I did put rugs down on the floor. She also isn't sitting in her urine as she was in the kitchen so I am hoping when they are moved out there permanently her skin will improve. The vet has agreed it is better for them to be outside as they are so much happier now that the snow and frost have gone. It is more difficult for me to look after them but my neighbour has said I can come and go as I please. I am picking up some Rearguard later today (it was out of stock) for when I go back to work next week. At the moment I can check on Fran frequently throughout the day but once I am at work I will be out of the house for eight hours and am terrified she will get fly-strike. The vet is hoping her skin will improve with being outside and having the Baytril. If not, I will have to rethink leaving her in the garden while I am at work.

She was so much better when she was on the Panacur but now we are back to square one again:(:(:( I really want her to enjoy the summer and the vet agrees I don't need to consider PTS yet. Seeing her nomming on the grass and dandelions was wonderful and she seems to hop better on the grass.

More vibes for her would be really appreciated. I really need her skin to heal before I can let her move outside permanently on the days I am at work. Even inside I know there is a risk of flystrike but I have to work or me and the furries would be homeless.

Sending you loads and loads of vibes ... I hope things improve for you all soon x

Thank you all. It has poured here today:( The ramp is too steep for anybun to access the hutch but they do have cover underneath the hutch (which is on top of the run). Am trying to sort out a way of making the ramp more Fran friendly - it will need to have sides and be less steep. She is still hopping in and out of the litter trays OK. I had intended adopting a fourth bun but I won't do that now as it would be unfair to stress Fran out bonding them.

If it is raining again tomorrow I will keep them inside. They will sulk but I don't want Fran getting wet, although actually none of them were wet (apart from paws) when I got them in - I think they must have all had the sense to shelter under the hutch.

Sending loads and loads of vibes gut fran and you, and I do hope the weather improves soon so she can go outside and start nomming the grass again which she clearly enjoys.

It's gorgeous here at the moment so all three bunnies are outside with some sliced carrot (5p in Asda yesterday:))and cauliflower leaves. Fran has been medicated, bathed and wiped so I can leave her alone now for a while to enjoy the sun. I have the osteopath later but apart from that I am around to keep checking on them and will be able to bring them in if it rains, although I have rigged up some additional shelter for them at the other end of the run to the hutch. They so love it being outside - it is awesome to watch them.

Thank you all for your vibes. I feel so mean bathing Fran and giving her meds as she clearly hates it. At least now it is over with and she can relax and enjoy the sun a bit without me stressing her out. My neighbour keeps an eye on them too and once the children are home from school they are outside with the bunnies. The bunnies aren't used to children but all three of them sit in the run and stroke the bunnies. They are the family who adopted Oscar, one of my foster hamster babies, so the children have been taught how to be slow and gentle with animals. They know Fran is poorly and are particularly careful with her.

I don't know if it's any help to you, but one of my boys had urine scald (he had a big stone in his bladder, unbeknown to me) and I used a trimmer to keep his underneath clear of hair, then washed and dried and used Sudocreme (a nappy rash cream) on his skin. It's very soothing, and keeps the wet away. The only downside is it's a bit like lard on the skin, and is quite hard to wipe away, but it definitely helped him stay free of scald.

I don't know if it's any help to you, but one of my boys had urine scald (he had a big stone in his bladder, unbeknown to me) and I used a trimmer to keep his underneath clear of hair, then washed and dried and used Sudocreme (a nappy rash cream) on his skin. It's very soothing, and keeps the wet away. The only downside is it's a bit like lard on the skin, and is quite hard to wipe away, but it definitely helped him stay free of scald.

I used to put sudocreme on and the vet told me not to. Can't remember why now - something about it being sticky I think. Poor Fran does look sore though. She seems to just be sitting in the urine when she is indoors. Outside it soaks into the ground so there isn't the same problem. I can't put rearguard on her when she is so sore. At the moment I am off work so can keep checking on her and there are no flies around at all but I am worried about what will happen when I go back to work. I think she may have to stay inside, although I know indoor buns can still get fly strike.

Hi Rihanna
Sorry to hear you have a poorly bunny. It's horrible when they are so sore too. I just joined up to say that you can get a much thinner version of Sudocrem in a tube, goes on easier and less sticky. The other suggestion I have is to ask your vet if Cavilon would be suitable for Frangipan. I used to use it when I was nursing, it creates an invisible barrier on the skin, originally used for patients with colostomy bags to protect the skin from becoming sore with urine scald and repeated removal of said bags. Comes in a spray or wipes as I recall but was only on prescription then. Obviously check with your vet about all this but thought I would suggest it. I also found puppy pads with a cheap hand towel over it that could be washed and changed easily helped when one of my elderly bunnies became less mobile. The towel helped with grip as puppy pads can be quite smooth and slippery for some buns. Hope things get better soon

I use vet bed for my guinea pig that has arthritic legs and sits for long periods of time.

Here she is on a cage liner with an absorbent layer inside.

m8jv9v.jpg

I used to put sudocreme on and the vet told me not to. Can't remember why now - something about it being sticky I think. Poor Fran does look sore though. She seems to just be sitting in the urine when she is indoors. Outside it soaks into the ground so there isn't the same problem. I can't put rearguard on her when she is so sore. At the moment I am off work so can keep checking on her and there are no flies around at all but I am worried about what will happen when I go back to work. I think she may have to stay inside, although I know indoor buns can still get fly strike.

I don't like Sudocreme either, though I know my vet recommends it!

Creams for urine scald ...

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

I have also used vet bed for this kind of thing, and it wicks away the moisture :)

Back