• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs of a depressed bun

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hello!

I wanted to know the behaviours bunnies show when they are depressed?

I have a feeling I'm over worrying (again), but it would be nice to know.

Thanks

Xx

I have taken on a couple of rabbits which I assumed were depressed ie they weren't that interested in food and they just looked miserable. Both also were overweight. They both came from the same place and it took many weeks before they started to look more happy.

My own thoughts would be that the behaviour pattern is not unlike what we humans would feel. I would observe feeding patterns. Are they interested in feed at key times? Do they eat treat foods? Do they enjoy having a run about and any signs of bunking or affection towards you or other buns? I think we as owners usually get a vibe if our buns are off firm and as default option, I would suggest that if in any doubt, consult your vet for their opinion. I hope this helps and hope your bun improves-sending positive vibes for your bunnies.

Hello both

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I'm over worrying because his partner died 6 months ago, and for various reasons we're not ready to get another yet. He loves, loves food, and enjoys interacting with us both. In some ways he's come out of his shell, we are much closer and he frequently licks me, which I never thought was possible before.

So maybe I'm over worrying?!!

I really hope you can stop worrying. I am sure (for the moment) little Zigzag is fine :)

Did you ever find bunny boarding for him for whilst you will be away?

Aw, he sounds lovely and from your description a happy little guy. I know it's hard not to worry about them though and if you've noticed a change then you could seek reassurance from your vet xx

Aw, he sounds lovely and from your description a happy little guy. I know it's hard not to worry about them though and if you've noticed a change then you could seek reassurance from your vet xx

Thank you, i think based on what everyone has said I think he’s okay. I do love the lick kiss things :)

Mightymax- no I haven’t yet, I’ve found two possible places that I’m going to visit. I wish there were more options in London!

Xx

Thank you, i think based on what everyone has said I think he’s okay. I do love the lick kiss things :)

Mightymax- no I haven’t yet, I’ve found two possible places that I’m going to visit. I wish there were more options in London!

Xx

I've heard such horror stories recently I don't think I could ever let the buns go anywhere :shock:

Good luck with your searching x

Back