• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch and bonding

Star83

New Kit
Hi all. Last October I inherited a rabbit with 2 hours notice. I came on here and got some fantastic advice and have become a convert. It hasn't been easy and has come with some surprises such as he being a she! We have made do with the hutch we were given over the winter as she has been in the shed however with the warmer weather moving in we are planning on buying a new hutch - The Manor 6ft Extra Large Rabbit Hutch and moving her outdoors.

However I have been contacted by someone asking if I will re home her boy. I've been reading up on bonding and know it will be a slow process with no guarantee it will work and the boy has not been neutered so I will have to keep them completely separate for 6 weeks before attempting to bin. My query is should I go ahead with the new hutch or get it later when hopefully both are bonded?

Hello and welcome. Glad to read you are now a convert. And we'll done to you for taking on the rescue bun.
Having just gone through a lengthy bonding process and still not entirely there, from my own point of view yes it can be a long journey BUT massively rewarding. Others with far more experience and knowledge on the forum will have far more help and advice than I do, but my simple answer would be to get the new hutch because in simple terms, that now instantly becomes your neutral territory and that is perfect for both buns as long as your current bun doesn't use it. Keep the new hutch covered to prevent the elements getting to it until you've got your 2nd bun neutered and then you can introduce them by utilising the new hutch. Good luck and keep us updated please.

I agree with Craig. Female bunnies get very territorial so keep a separate area/hutch for when the boy is ready to be bonded. Good luck.

Sorry its a bit of a late reply , but i definitely agree with whats been said ! When i first bonded my two bunnies (which were the same sex ) i put them into a play pen on the grass to be introduced , i also thought it was a good idea as the grass and toys mostly kept them distracted . However , after doing that ALOT of times , i made the mistake in putting them in one of the buns hutches that i had for a while as i only had one . I instantly realized that even though they were getting on outside the hutch they were so territorial as soon as i put them in there . I got a new hutch straight away and ever since then they have been fine as the hutch was new with not just one bunnies scent but now both of theres ! Hope this proves that it helps !xx:D:wave:

Back