• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tarnishing the "rescue" label

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Banned
Well at the request of Ms "I have got a strop on" I have started up this thread. What makes it worse is that she was probably right and it is better to have such discussions on a thread that lets the conversation broaden out into many other areas. Not that I am admitting that "Ms Stropalop" was right for one minute. Well maybe just that one minute! ;-)

I read daily on all sorts of lists about the wondefull job that people are doing

Anyway we constantly read about these great works of charity done by varying people. I have some concerns regarding these claims and the subsequent publication of these "great deeds" onto the internet.

That is fine in itself, although I reckon the most prolific, kindest and most frequent deeds go totally unmentioned and are repeated day in and day out at many places throughout the UK.

Where I have a problem with is with those that seem to publicise everything and anything that they do blaming all and sundry on anyone who does not have "bunny" in their middle name - breeders are a great one to clump together and slam them just for fun.

YET they clam up when challenged? If a breeder has problems or wants to stop breeding i would think that it was in every ones interests to help them. A very posative step.

Indeed I think a lot more posative ineraction between "rescues" and breeders needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.

I really do think that "Rescues" need to start rebranding themselves as what they actually are "rehomes" not rescues.

Leave the label "Rescues" for those that actually deserve it....

Hiya Bob :D

I think a lot of rescues work is rehoming. Taking an animal in because its unwanted and needs a new owner rather than because its life is in jepardy.

In some cases though leaving the animal could cause problems. Its not unusual for people to threaten to release rabbits if the rescue won't take them.

Rescues do "rescue" too, they take animals from vets after they were brought in to be euthanised because the owner didn't want them, they take them from rspca creulty cases, situations where the owner didn't want/couldn't provide vet treatment or has incorrect housing.

According to the dictionary rescues means: save from a dangerous or distressing situation

Rescues don't climb ladders or have cars with flashing lights but I do think they take rabbits from distressing/dangerous (to the rabbit) situations.

I agree with you that closer work between breeders and rescues could be very useful. Breeders can provide useful information like the special requirements of a particular breed (e.g. angora grooming tips), informations on raising babies etc.

Although for the most part rescues deal with back yard breeders escues do occationally comes across BRC breeders, for example the rescue that dealt with 160 odd dutch rabbits.

I'd be interested to hear how you think breeders could help further?

If we can come up with practical suggestions of ways in which breeders & rescues can assist each other I'd be happy to pass them on to rescues.

Tam

Interesting reply -- it does not address the topic though (Remember, the one you banned cos it ws getting too close to home?)

I cannot say any more than that - address the topic? You after all asked us to ge here and start all over again!

Bob

Do you have nothing better to do than constantly pick on those who dedicate their lives to helping unwanted rabbits? Whether they offer them permanent homes or rehome them is irrelevant. The fact that they give rabbits another chance is all that matters.

What I don't understand is that on another thread you accused rescues of "contributing to the number of unwanted rabbits", simply by being available to take in dumped animals, thus making it easier for people to get rid of their rabbits. Now you're suggesting that rescues work more closely with breeders and offer to help those who decide to give up breeding! Somewhat of a contradiction there :?:

Since you seem to have such an interest in this matter, can I ask what YOU are doing to help unwanted rabbits?

Jenny

Wabbit said:
Bob

Since you seem to have such an interest in this matter, can I ask what YOU are doing to help unwanted rabbits?

Jenny

This is a good question Wabbit..most of us rescuing/ rehoming rabbits are too busy doing the daily rabbiting tasks to have time to sit back and be philosophical.
Bob did say he recognised that many people are working hard to care for bunnies, so that is a brownie point :lol:

I understand the difference between Rescue and Rehoming but as Tamsin so rightly said, the two areas are linked, and to separate set up into either a Rescue or a Rehoming Centre is not really practical.
For example at our Sanctuary we mainly do RESCUE work, and a little rehoming. If we classed ourselves purely as a RESCUE then it would create all sorts of ethical dilemas re which rabbits we help...we could not turn rabbits away if they fell in the REHOMING category, as Tamsin said, it is often essential to rehome rabbits before it becomes a rescue case.
At the rescue stage at least folk are acknowledging that they are not coping with a rabbit , and seeking help before a crisis happens.

Wabbit said:
Bob

Do you have nothing better to do than constantly pick on those who dedicate their lives to helping unwanted rabbits? Whether they offer them permanent homes or rehome them is irrelevant. The fact that they give rabbits another chance is all that matters.

What I don't understand is that on another thread you accused rescues of "contributing to the number of unwanted rabbits", simply by being available to take in dumped animals, thus making it easier for people to get rid of their rabbits. Now you're suggesting that rescues work more closely with breeders and offer to help those who decide to give up breeding! Somewhat of a contradiction there :?:

Jenny

Jenny = would it not be more prudent to actually answer my comments and concerns first? I have obviously go up your nose (can't think why?)

Prove me wrong MS Rabbit!

Wabbit said:
Bob

Jenny

Tried debating just this topic - got banned!

Bob said:

Bob you did not get banned, you were asked to move your debate to your own section, which is what you now have done :D

Erm Bob, I looked but I can't see a question mark anywhere in your first post. What was the actual question? :D

Indeed I think a lot more posative ineraction between "rescues" and breeders needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.

I agree, what sort of positive interaction. Give us some examples/suggestions.

Should rescue centres help out breeders? Sometimes. If the breeder is giving up then yes rescues can if asked/able offer assistance in rehoming. If a breeder is involved in a creulty/neglect case and the rabbits are removed then yes rescues can help. If a breeders has spare babies then nope I think generally its not in a rescues best interests (no matter how hard it is) to take them otherwise they will just end up removing stock from breeders rather than helping where needed.

Tam

Firstly, I don't think it's important whether someone who helps animals brands themselves as a 'Rescue' or a 'Rehoming Centre'. As it has already been pointed out, most actually do both. To question this is merely nitpicking.

I don't know any decent rescues who 'clam up' when challenged. The ones I have contact with are always willing to help whenever they can, regardless of the situation. The bottom line is that if a rabbit, or other animal needs help, they will take it.

I don't understand why this is a problem.

Perhaps if you spent some of your energy doing something positive to help rabbits in need, you wouldn't have the time to insult those who do.

Jenny

Adele said:
Bob said:

Bob you did not get banned, you were asked to move your debate to your own section, which is what you now have done :D

LOL If I were banned I would not be posting ;-) Yerr I know that I did say that but it felt like it - hey I was winning as well!!

Seriously though not enough peopleget envolved in these type of discussions and they should not be "nuked" just when they start to get interessting.
They should be encouraged then we get a broader spectrum of views.

Me? I have to go to work now and I do feel robbed of a platform that was building up to what was a very commen sence view!

Ah well - have fun!

Wabbit said:
Firstly, I don't think it's important whether someone who helps animals brands themselves as a 'Rescue' or a 'Rehoming Centre'. As it has already been pointed out, most actually do both. To question this is merely nitpicking.

I don't know any decent rescues who 'clam up' when challenged. The ones I have contact with are always willing to help whenever they can, regardless of the situation. The bottom line is that if a rabbit, or other animal needs help, they will take it.

I don't understand why this is a problem.

Perhaps if you spent some of your energy doing something positive to help rabbits in need, you wouldn't have the time to insult those who do.

Jenny

A very personal statement. Not based on fact at all but based on what "rescue" and especially the Tufty Club is all about.

To make the comments you have just made means that you need to know me personally. You do not. So howcan you make that assumption?

What (if anything) I do for charity is and remains between me and the charity. I do not need to flout it all over the internet nor do I rely on people to support me who "score"me on the "wonderfull" things that I have said that I have done and broadcast to all and sundry.

You have just made my point for me....

I did not think that it would take long................................

Bob

You are the one who brought up this subject, and you began by picking fault with the work carried out by people who take in unwanted rabbits. You don't seem to be able to leave them in peace to carry on with their tireless efforts.

You are the first one to question what others are doing, but you won't take kindly to being questioned yourself. In fact, you "clam up", to use one of your phrases.

If you're going to dish it out, you gotta be able to take it!!!

Jenny

Bob said:
nor do I rely on people to support me who "score"me on the "wonderfull" things that I have said that I have done and broadcast to all and sundry.

Unfortunately many rescues do have to rely on this, without publicity they wouldn't have the support they need to do their work. Rescues need people to help out and people won't help if they don't know what their helping.

Of course not everyone agrees with rescues work and they may decide not to help a particular cause.

For example, in working with breeders rescues may lose some of their valuable supporters. Its all very well taking the moral ground but sometimes you have to compremise so you can get on with the work you set out to do.

Tam

Wabbit said:
Bob

You are the one who brought up this subject, and you began by picking fault with the work carried out by people who take in unwanted rabbits. You don't seem to be able to leave them in peace to carry on with their tireless efforts.

You are the first one to question what others are doing, but you won't take kindly to being questioned yourself. In fact, you "clam up", to use one of your phrases.

If you're going to dish it out, you gotta be able to take it!!!

Jenny

Jenny you actually have not answered one of my questions or actually addressed on of my concerns.

That would be a good start.

Yes, exactly. Rescues need to be well known in order to obtain support from the public, whether it is financial or to rehome animals.

The 'Rescue' people I know are actually very modest about what they do, and certainly don't expect any glory for it. Any articles on the net or in the papers are usually written by other people who know them and commend them for what they are doing.

Bob,

Maybe you should be clearer in the way that you address your questions. At the moment, they are as clear as mud.

I did, in fact, comment upon your initial post. What did I miss, in your opinion?

Wabbit said:
Yes, exactly. Rescues need to be well known in order to obtain support from the public, whether it is financial or to rehome animals.

Speaking as a Rabbit Rescue ourselves publicity is essential to enable us to be in a position to continue helping the rabbits.
For example. we raise funds through a rabbit Hotel to help our work, but without generous donations aswell, we would not maintain the Sanctuary.
We also need practical help within the Sanctuary and people to collect rabbits on our behalf.

The 'Rescue' people I know are actually very modest about what they do, and certainly don't expect any glory for it. Any articles on the net or in the papers are usually written by other people who know them and commend them for what they are doing.[/quoteWabbit)

This is true from our experience , and what is wrong with praising people for their successes...after all Rescue /Rehoming work is hard in many ways , and to acknowledge the success stories seems reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back