• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Waring

New Kit
Hi.

I have two bunnies brother and sister. Had them August 2017 when I first had them the boy allowed cuddles easily handled but now it's been the last 4 months he won't allow me to pick him up runs away every time I go to get him or grab him from their hutch but will allow me to smooth him and stroke him

Can you please advise the best way to start getting him used to being handled again please

Thank you

I think you may have hit the nail on the head in your post - most rabbits take exception to being “grabbed” from their hutch, no matter how gently - it’s just not something that rabbit psychology appreciates! I’d advise some sort of enclosure in front of the hutch (do your rabbits have an attached run?) so you can sit with him at his level and allow him to come up to you? If you take your time and have plenty of healthy nibbles to hand he should, in time, start getting more friendly.

Is he neutered? If not that would most likely help loads - what baby rabbits might put up with handling wise, a hormonal adult will take exception to. Neutering should calm him greatly.

Back