• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's best for my rabbits while i'm away

joemorris86

Young Bun
Hello.

I will be going on my honeymoon in August and i'm not 100% sure what would be best for our two rabbits.

The breeder we got the rabbits from will take them for the 2 weeks or I can have a friend come in once a day to feed/clean them.

Can i get some opinions on which of the following options are best. Thanks.

Option A:
They stay at home. They will have the run of the kitchen where they usually stay anyway (we leave the hutch open) and a friend will pop in once a day to feed them.

Option B:
They go back to the breeder. More experienced care, however they will be kept outside in a barn (they have always been house rabbits)

Hi joe, my own preference would be for your friend to come in once a day. Rabbits don't like change much so keeping their routine as normal as it is now, with familiar smells and surroundings will be what your buns would probably ask for if they could. Nothing wrong with the breeder option, but in my view, I'd keep it as close to what they have now. Hope this helps.

I'd go for A, if it were me, as it's what they are used to. My only concern though would be them getting up to mischief during the time they are alone (maybe they don't / can't, but I'm pretty sure ours would :)) x

As long as you can be sure they will be safe, I would opt for A, if you can trust your friend to just feed them how you say. Ideally twice a day, once early and again later, would be better still.

If you fully trust them alone in the house, and they're not prone to health problems then I'd definitely say A :) Have you considered getting a cheap CCTV camera? I bought one for about £15 and it's linked to an app on your phone, so even with the bunnies at home and me in the carribean I could keep an eye on them, talk to them/scare fiance, and even move the camera in case I couldn't see them all clearly

Last edited:
talk to them/scare fiance
Always a bonus! :twisted: :lol:

I always try to do the first option, as they have so much space, they know where to go (and can get away from each other, they're just like a married couple :roll:), they're healthy and secure. When we went away the first time for longer than a week we left them with a professional boarder in case anything untoward happened and I would do this again if they weren't as healthy and couldn't get a bunny-savvy person to bun-sit.

I would also go for the option of keeping them at home and having someone come in to feed them. I always do this (mind you I have waaaay too many pets to make boarding a possiblility).

I agree that them remaining in their usual environment would be preferable, but personally I would not be happy with them only being checked on once a day. I would prefer to arrange a House/Pet Sitter x

Hi joe, my own preference would be for your friend to come in once a day. Rabbits don't like change much so keeping their routine as normal as it is now, with familiar smells and surroundings will be what your buns would probably ask for if they could. Nothing wrong with the breeder option, but in my view, I'd keep it as close to what they have now. Hope this helps.

I agree with Craig, though could you persuade your friend to come in twice daily? They really need to be checked on a couple of times, and all the info regarding vets should be provided.

I get a bun sitter. A friend is known to buns as uncle. He stays at our place when we have to be away. He sleeps in their space with them.....our lounge on the sofa.

ravenmoore36

Back