• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured rabbit toe

Pan

New Kit
I could use some outside advice on this...
Just a minute ago I was getting hold of my nervy slippery fish of a rabbit to check a healing scab on her shoulder was staying clean and well. Yes, I probably didn't hold her right, I thought I was and I was trying to, but you would not believe how much of a boneless struggling eel that rabbit can become when she wants to get away. Anyway, I checked it and it was fine, then thought that it might be sensible to clip her claws while I already had her in hold, so moved into the bathroom where there was better light for it, sat down with her, then noticed how one of the claws on her back foot (like the left big toe on a human) was moving about more than it should.
At the least I think the nail has more than half broken close down to the toe, it wobbles about a bit and her toe (although not actively bleeding) looks red and a bit swollen... I think she must have broken it on me when she was getting into a state kicking and struggling.
Naturally I feel awful and I'll take her to the vets tomorrow morning when they're open, but I just wanted to check if people thought it was more serious than that and I should try to make an emergency appointment today.
Thank you.

Just a minute ago I was getting hold of my nervy slippery fish of a rabbit to check a healing scab on her shoulder was staying clean and well. Yes, I probably didn't hold her right, I thought I was and I was trying to, but you would not believe how much of a boneless struggling eel that rabbit can become when she wants to get away. Anyway, I checked it and it was fine, then thought that it might be sensible to clip her claws while I already had her in hold, so moved into the bathroom where there was better light for it, sat down with her, then noticed how one of the claws on her back foot (like the left big toe on a human) was moving about more than it should.
At the least I think the nail has more than half broken close down to the toe, it wobbles about a bit and her toe (although not actively bleeding) looks red and a bit swollen... I think she must have broken it on me when she was getting into a state kicking and struggling.
Naturally I feel awful and I'll take her to the vets tomorrow morning when they're open, but I just wanted to check if people thought it was more serious than that and I should try to make an emergency appointment today.
Thank you.

Without being able to see the injury it's not possible for me to say if it is more serious than a broken nail. If the actual toe is swollen and/or at an 'odd' angle then it could be dislocated. This would obviously be painful. I would call the out of hours Vet for advice if I were you.

Thank you.

Hi Pan and sorry to hear about your rabbit. I do understand these rabbits can be extremely determined when they want to get away from us!

It's so common for a rabbit to break a nail. It may not mean that the toe itself is broken.

How is she moving about on that foot now? Can you see any signs of distress? I think in your shoes I would be guided by how she's feeling, but of course it might be wise to ring the out of hours vet and ask their opinion. I have often found good advice (and not always to bring the rabbit in!) from the OOH vets :)

Hi Pan and sorry to hear about your rabbit. I do understand these rabbits can be extremely determined when they want to get away from us!

It's so common for a rabbit to break a nail. It may not mean that the toe itself is broken.

How is she moving about on that foot now? Can you see any signs of distress? I think in your shoes I would be guided by how she's feeling, but of course it might be wise to ring the out of hours vet and ask their opinion. I have often found good advice (and not always to bring the rabbit in!) from the OOH vets :)

She doesn't seem to be acting unusual now that she's free, and I can't see her limping. I think that probably it can wait to be seen to tomorrow... I don't like the thought of her being in pain longer than she needs to, but I'm not sure how much the vet could even treat it.
Anyway, I'll see how she seems today, keep checking on her and keeping an eye on it, and will at least definitely get a vet appointment early tomorrow.
Thank you for your advice :)

Without being able to see the injury it's not possible for me to say if it is more serious than a broken nail. If the actual toe is swollen and/or at an 'odd' angle then it could be dislocated. This would obviously be painful. I would call the out of hours Vet for advice if I were you.

I understand that just a verbal description does not tell you much. Thank you for your advice, I will think and keep and eye on her and at the least will get her a vet appointment early tomorrow.
She's not limping, and the toe itself doesn't seem to be at a wrong angle, I would be much more worried if that were the case.

She doesn't seem to be acting unusual now that she's free, and I can't see her limping. I think that probably it can wait to be seen to tomorrow... I don't like the thought of her being in pain longer than she needs to, but I'm not sure how much the vet could even treat it.
Anyway, I'll see how she seems today, keep checking on her and keeping an eye on it, and will at least definitely get a vet appointment early tomorrow.
Thank you for your advice :)

You are absolutely right about wondering how the vet would treat it anyway, particularly if the OOH vets isn't rabbit savvy. They would be able to dispense some Metacam pain relief for her, but if she's not limping or acting unusual I think you could probably wait until tomorrow morning to see the vet.

Yes, have a look and see whether it still looks sore and painful over the course of today and tomorrow morning :)

How's the toe today, Pan? :wave:

Nail wasn't broken, unfortunately the toe was dislocated, poor fuzz...
Nothing an emergency vet appointment could have done, it's just a case of letting her rest it. Got an appointment in a week to check on how it's healing, they're hoping the toe will have fused by then, that's the ideal, if it's not then she might need surgery to remove part of the toe. It's staying straight though and she seems OK (I'm sure it hurts though), so hopefully they will find that it's healing all right.

Aww poor bun, but glad it’s not broken..

Have they given her some pain relief for you to give her at home? If not, can you contact the vets to see if they can arrange some for you? Metacam is also an anti-inflammatory which will help.

Nothing an emergency vet appointment could have done, it's just a case of letting her rest it. Got an appointment in a week to check on how it's healing, they're hoping the toe will have fused by then, that's the ideal, if it's not then she might need surgery to remove part of the toe. It's staying straight though and she seems OK (I'm sure it hurts though), so hopefully they will find that it's healing all right.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, poor little one :(

Is she on pain relief in the meantime? As Ruthy says, it will help with inflammation :)

I feared that may have been the case, poor Bunny :cry:

Has she been prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam to address the pain ?

Aww poor bun, but glad it’s not broken..

Have they given her some pain relief for you to give her at home? If not, can you contact the vets to see if they can arrange some for you? Metacam is also an anti-inflammatory which will help.

She was given some anti-inflammatory medication to take for five days after the vet visit, though the vet said that if the rabbit really won't let me then stop and just let it heal on its own. The vet gave her the first dose while she was there, then I gave her the second dose the next day but she fought so hard and desperately that she hurt her toe worse in the process, so I decided to gently push it back straight and leave her to it without medication.
She seems to be doing well, will find out for certain on Monday.

She was given some anti-inflammatory medication to take for five days after the vet visit, though the vet said that if the rabbit really won't let me then stop and just let it heal on its own. The vet gave her the first dose while she was there, then I gave her the second dose the next day but she fought so hard and desperately that she hurt her toe worse in the process, so I decided to gently push it back straight and leave her to it without medication.

Metacam is honey flavoured and a lot of rabbits like it for that reason. What a shame yours doesn't!

I'm glad she's doing well. We can only do as much as we can do and you're doing the best :)

I feared that may have been the case, poor Bunny :cry:

Has she been prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam to address the pain ?

She had the first two out of five doses but she fought so hard that it was actually doing more damage to the toe than was worth it, so I've let her do her own thing and stay calm (Both my bunnies do have a trick of standing up high on their back feet when you hold snacks over their heads, so I've been sneakily using that in the evenings to get a clear glimpse of the foot and check that the toe is still straight-ish).
Will know for certain on Monday anyway.

She had the first two out of five doses but she fought so hard that it was actually doing more damage to the toe than was worth it, so I've let her do her own thing and stay calm (Both my bunnies do have a trick of standing up high on their back feet when you hold snacks over their heads, so I've been sneakily using that in the evenings to get a clear glimpse of the foot and check that the toe is still straight-ish).
Will know for certain on Monday anyway.

Can you put the Metacam on a small piece of bread/toast? Or perhaps a malted shreddie?

I can fully understand as my bunny hates it too.. but I wrap him up in a towel which my partner holds and I syringe it directly into his mouth. He might not like it, but it makes him feel so much better and it will do with you bunny too. Please re-consider giving her it, as metacam will really help. Or for my other bunny I mixed it up with some banana and she takes it perfectly, but Bailey will run away as soon as he sees me carry the bottle! :lol:

All my buns have medical too :lol: I have to mix it with some porridge oats. Nobody says porridge in our house but I always have some in just in case. They are so determined rabbits. I dread having to pick any of mine up. Hope your bun is doing ok and the for is healing right.

One of my rabbits hates it when you try and put anything in his mouth. I tried without success and when the vet professionals do it he tries a variety of tactics - clamping jaw shut, moving his head away from the syringe, taking the meds and spitting it out. Anyway we've found a compromise where if it's at the vets we go for injections where possible, if it's administered at home his meds are mixed with small pieces of banana in a bowl or mixed with apple puree and given on a plastic spoon. He happily eats it all - and even licks up any meds left in the bowl afterwards.

This could work for your bun?

No stress for him and no stress for me :D

Oh poor thing. I agree with the sentiment of trying to give her the metacam in an alternative way if she doesn't like it (which is unusual in and of itself!) It will help with the pain.

Also wanted to say that, when I adopted Arce, she had an historic injury to a toe. One of them is completely bent out of shape on the back paw. However, in spite of it being a different shape to the others, it doesn't stop or bother her in the slightest. You can't tell it's that way unless you know.

Just back from the vets, bunny's toe has all fused naturally and she's been given a clear bill of health, yay! :D

Back