• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cherry has lost use of her Back Legs - U/Date

I'm so sorry to read this :(

As MM has said, it really depends on the cause. Vets is your best option at this time to determine the cause and the treatments available.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Is there anything that can be given?

Poor Bunny

There are several possible causes of hind leg paralysis so as I am sure you know the most important thing is to get Cherry to a Vet straight away. As hind leg paralysis can be caused by a spinal injury it is essential that the effected Rabbit is kept immobile until she/he has been seen by a Vet. Hopefully you did took her to an Emergency Vet last night and I really hope that her prognosis is not as bad as you may fear.

Whilst these links are in no way a diagnosis, only an examination from a Rabbit Savvy Vet can give you that, they may prove useful to take a look at

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=490&S=5

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Signs/Cuniculi_signs.html

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Spinal_InjuryLagomorphs.htm

Sending lots of vibes xx

I'm sorry to read about Cherry. Sending her lots of vibes. I hope it's something that's easy to treat.

Cherry is fine in herself, eating etc. She is on Panacur and Metacam but by the way she is I don't think she can be in any pain. I have to monitor her. Her sister had a heart condition but maybe this is totally different. I did read in one of those links that it can be connected? She is nearly 7.

Cherry is fine in herself, eating etc. She is on Panacur and Metacam but by the way she is I don't think she can be in any pain. I have to monitor her. Her sister had a heart condition but maybe this is totally different. I did read in one of those links that it can be connected? She is nearly 7.

I'm glad to hear she's doing well at the moment :)

Regarding the heart condition connection, do you mean this?

Cardiovascular disease – disease of the heart muscle, infection in the sac around the heart (pericardium) and disease of the blood vessels (arthrosclerosis) can all lead to less oxygen reaching the muscle tissues with resultant weakness

I guess at this stage anything is a possibility and only a competent vet would be able to perhaps hazard a guess as to what's happened. These things are very difficult to pinpoint ... When my rabbit had sudden onset head tilt my (savvy) vet didn't know what had caused it. Quite perplexing they are these rabbits

I'm glad to hear she's doing well at the moment :)

Regarding the heart condition connection, do you mean this?

Cardiovascular disease – disease of the heart muscle, infection in the sac around the heart (pericardium) and disease of the blood vessels (arthrosclerosis) can all lead to less oxygen reaching the muscle tissues with resultant weakness

I guess at this stage anything is a possibility and only a competent vet would be able to perhaps hazard a guess as to what's happened. These things are very difficult to pinpoint ... When my rabbit had sudden onset head tilt my (savvy) vet didn't know what had caused it. Quite perplexing they are these rabbits

Yes, this is it. I've just read that again and it could actually apply to me also! My legs are not as strong as they used to be!

Yes, this is it. I've just read that again and it could actually apply to me also! My legs are not as strong as they used to be!

It's a very real thing as well. Lack of oxygen can make the legs feel like they are made of concrete.

Is your heart OK tonibun? Would you even know?

It's a very real thing as well. Lack of oxygen can make the legs feel like they are made of concrete.

Is your heart OK tonibun? Would you even know?

I have a BP check every 6 months. My Father died of a heart attack when he was 64 and his Father died much younger than that, so it is in my family. I think all that smoke a year or so ago didn't help! Quite often I was afraid of breathing properly.

Well, she seemed to be using her back legs a little more yesterday so she wasn't dragging them as much. Hopefully the use is returning - is this possible? One of our Vets said it could when I had a similar rabbit a few years ago and it did. Haven't checked today.

Back