• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help for snowy please

june

Young Bun
Hi bunnylovers

Can anyone help or advise me
My beautiful bunny Snowy had white liquid in her urine which the vet said was pus, she had a course of Baytril for 2 weeks and she seemed ok, then in September it came back, she was put on Baytril again but the white stuff is still there, the vet said she can be on it for months, in the last 2 weeks her back legs have become very weak and she is needing her bottom washed as she urinates and lies in it or cannot move herself quick enough. The vet said maybe we should put her to sleep but i said that was not an option at this moment as she is eating really well and drinking and still has all of her character and is fighting to get well, the vet gave her an injection of Voren which worked wonders and she was much better
on her legs but he said this would last for 5-6 days only and sure enough it is wearing off and her right leg is weak but she still enjoys her food and gets around as best she can. Should I keep up the injections in the hope that she will improve, has anyone any info on treatment for her or any way I can help her? She is not ready for the rainbow in the sky yet.
Your help or advise would be very much appreciated
Thanks
June

Did the vet say where the pus might be coming from? Did he do any scans or xrays? How old is Snowy? Has she been spayed? Sorry for all the questions, but it might give a better picture :D

bunnyhuggger said:
Did the vet say where the pus might be coming from? Did he do any scans or xrays? How old is Snowy? Has she been spayed? Sorry for all the questions, but it might give a better picture :D

Hi Lynda
Snowy is 6 years old she hasn't been spayed and the vet said he would not spay her as she is too old. He said the pus could be from an infection thus the Baytril or it could be a tumor of the uterus which 85% of females get. He never mentioned x-rays or scans, and I am unemployed at this present time so I would'nt be able to pay for one. She is still bright and eating but I am not happy with her treatment, my usual vet was not available when she first had the trouble with her leg and I saw a different one, he just gave her an injection of Metacam and said to see my usual vet when he returns.
June :

If she has cancer/an infection then I believe that spaying (removing the uterus) would be the usual treatment.

Have you tried contacting the PDSA? You may qualify for assistance on/free vet treatment. I think you need to be receiving housing/council tax bebefits. The number is to find out more is: 0800 731 2502

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Back