• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urine infections and how to increase water intake?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I know I haven’t posted for a while sorry but we believe Bailey is suffering from a urine infection. He has been quieter for the last couple of days but with him moulting badly assumed he was fed up with the grooming.

Last night Bailey refused his tea, tummy presssing and spot weeing on the carpet. After some metacam he perked up! :)

Then today he refused food again, so he’s been to the vets. They have been unable to get a urine sample due to him spot weeing so often and having a very small bladder. Although after him weeing on the table earlier it’s a very yellow and slightly cloudy wee.

They have checked his manhood, also cleaned any gunk that he may have in his pipes and given him extra fluids. He’s also on metacam, Zantac and sulfatrim.

The poor little tyke has had so many meds in his life he’s becoming such a little sod to medicate. We always give him these by syringe direct into his mouth to ensure he’s getting them. But I don’t want to stress him out further by syringing water. I’m wetting veg/herbs, giving fresh water every hour I’m home as he always runs to his bowl when he has fresh but the vets want me to give him more to help flush him out.

I’ve tried peppermint tea and floating veg in water but he doesn’t bother. Any other ideas? Xx

Hi guys,

I know I haven’t posted for a while sorry but we believe Bailey is suffering from a urine infection. He has been quieter for the last couple of days but with him moulting badly assumed he was fed up with the grooming.

Last night Bailey refused his tea, tummy presssing and spot weeing on the carpet. After some metacam he perked up! :)

Then today he refused food again, so he’s been to the vets. They have been unable to get a urine sample due to him spot weeing so often and having a very small bladder. Although after him weeing on the table earlier it’s a very yellow and slightly cloudy wee.

They have checked his manhood, also cleaned any gunk that he may have in his pipes and given him extra fluids. He’s also on metacam, Zantac and sulfatrim.

The poor little tyke has had so many meds in his life he’s becoming such a little sod to medicate. We always give him these by syringe direct into his mouth to ensure he’s getting them. But I don’t want to stress him out further by syringing water. I’m wetting veg/herbs, giving fresh water every hour I’m home as he always runs to his bowl when he has fresh but the vets want me to give him more to help flush him out.

I’ve tried peppermint tea and floating veg in water but he doesn’t bother. Any other ideas? Xx

You really need to ascertain whether he has an infection or not. When he wees, can you get a syringe and pull it up to be able to take to the vet? They can do a dipstick test which will give some indication. Then send it off for a more detailed profile.

Regarding drinking more (which you know doesn't solve the problem but might alleviate symptoms) I find that rabbits like to drink the green juice I make for myself - that's kale and greens, apple, and carrot. I have also whizzed up a small piece of apple and given the water to drink.

Some people swear by adding Avipro to the water, but personally I haven't found that made any difference to the palatability, but you may want to try it?

Thank you.

Yeah we’ve tried a couple of times now but his wees are so small as he’s doing them so often. This is why they want us to up his water intake.

We’re heading back on Sunday for them to try again or if not have suggested a blood test?

In the meantime he’s also got a dry eye so has daily drops for that, and I’m still cleaning his ears every week to keep on top of this, and today we’ve been told he may have a spur on one tooth.

Thanks for the suggestions that’s fab... I’ll give anything a go! Although bella is being a great nurse and grooming him lots we need him back to his cheeky self! :love:

Thank you.

Yeah we’ve tried a couple of times now but his wees are so small as he’s doing them so often. This is why they want us to up his water intake.

We’re heading back on Sunday for them to try again or if not have suggested a blood test?

In the meantime he’s also got a dry eye so has daily drops for that, and I’m still cleaning his ears every week to keep on top of this, and today we’ve been told he may have a spur on one tooth.

Thanks for the suggestions that’s fab... I’ll give anything a go! Although bella is being a great nurse and grooming him lots we need him back to his cheeky self! :love:

Had one rabbit who was just impossible, and the vet eventually kept her in for a few hours and gave her subcut fluids, and then put a tray with only hay in her cage, and scooped up the sample :)

If you don't have a juicer I guess you could replicate it by whizzing the veg up in a high speed blender. Not too thick.

Sorry you've other things going on with Bailey at the moment ... Poor lad and poor you - stressful xx

Hiya mightymax! :wave:

Aww thank you for thinking of us, fingers and toes crossed but at the moment bailey is doing great! we managed to increase his water intake quite abit and last Thursday found a small Hardish lump of calcium which I can only assume he’s passed as he’s been great since! Poor baby as it must have hurt him..
We are still giving him wet veg and herbs to ensure he doesn’t have any other build up, but god knows where it comes from as he doesn’t have high calcium food. The only thing I can think of is we had him out in the garden and he was munching on dandelions, and had dill in the same weekend so maybe it was too much for him?!

God knows but he’s certainly back to his cheeky self.. which is amazing and bella has been super with him.

Thanks for thinking of us! :love: hope all is good with you? Xx

Hiya mightymax! :wave:

Aww thank you for thinking of us, fingers and toes crossed but at the moment bailey is doing great! we managed to increase his water intake quite abit and last Thursday found a small Hardish lump of calcium which I can only assume he’s passed as he’s been great since! Poor baby as it must have hurt him..
We are still giving him wet veg and herbs to ensure he doesn’t have any other build up, but god knows where it comes from as he doesn’t have high calcium food. The only thing I can think of is we had him out in the garden and he was munching on dandelions, and had dill in the same weekend so maybe it was too much for him?!

God knows but he’s certainly back to his cheeky self.. which is amazing and bella has been super with him.

Thanks for thinking of us! :love: hope all is good with you? Xx

Oh how wonderful and what a relief! :D

I think some bunnies are just prone. Must be in their genetic make-up as I can't believe some forage would've caused such a thing. Though they are certainly mysterious, so who knows? Fact is he's much brighter, little poppet :love:

We are good thank you!

Back