• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging litter tray - Why??

kazza378

New Kit
Hi all,

Tilly and Dilly seem to thrive on trying to dig through their litter tray... As soon as I put it down, they're there taking it in turns to attempt their burrow to Australia...

It causes such a mess, what with sawdust, hay and straw being flung everywhere ( I've stopped lining it with newspaper, cos they only eat it!). Does anyone know if there is any way I can stop this??

Karen xxx

My Athena does this when she thinks it is too dirty to use (after two days - she is very fussy) so I give her a big cardboard box stuffed with newspaper and bits of card to chew up and dig in - I have also heard that seagrass mats are pretty good for digging on and may distract them from using the litterbox (does anyone know where I can get some - sorry to hijack your thread).

Caz

Give them a bigger box, like a plastic storage box. Most of our buns have them and it's got a shavings and megazorb layer in the bottom and some lovely fresh hay on top of that. Usually they just lie in it and munch the hay but sometimes they dig in it, stuff stays in the box :D They can jump in and out easily too.

A box like this one:

starsky1.jpg

Oh wow - the mats are so cheap - I am def. book marking this site for xmas pressies!

I love the deep box idea - my litter tray is the bottom of a ferplast cage but Athena still manages to get some over the edges!

Caz

I did try the bottom of a cat carry cage (see bottom right pic in my sig), it was fine until we got Athena - she just loves to dig - then I went to the ferplast cage bottom.

Athena managed to dig by this tree we planted in our garden and was pretty deep when I caught her amongst the roots - little so and so - she was very muddy and needed a good bath - the tree survived luckily.

Zeus though might not fit in a box that deep but maybe the seagrass mats will distract her!

Caz

I got a cat litter tray today for mine after I read peoples posts about them burying in the litter tray filled it with hay. Thora likes sitting in it and just eating the hay!

DSCF0097v2.JPG

but they are trying to make their way out of this box I got for them to hide in.

DSCF0096v2.JPG

Back