• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Reality of Owning Rabbits!

SamTheBunny

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I have to do a presentation on any topic that interests me, and I thought it would be good to do it on the reality of owning rabbits. I figured any information that I can get out to people about this is good, as there are many misconceptions about owning rabbits. I was just wondering if any of you had any ideas of thing I could include, including personal experiences, general things etc. Thank you in advance, Poppy :)

Hi poppy. For me, rabbit ownership is about giving something back to animals who deserve and need a second chance as I have always adopted rescue buns. It's about understanding and reacting to their emotional wellbeing. It's about realising they have feelings, emotions, a soul, a personality and that must be respected. It's about learning and understanding rabbit behaviour and each bun is different but signals are the same. It's about sacrifice- to understand that you are their cater and guardian and decision maker. Rabbits give us their love and we must make sure we give it back to earn their trust and respect. It's about adapting to change and putting the rabbits needs first. It's a commitment and we must understand that because rabbits and for that matter, all pets, deserve the very best that we can give them in life.

Hi poppy. For me, rabbit ownership is about giving something back to animals who deserve and need a second chance as I have always adopted rescue buns. It's about understanding and reacting to their emotional wellbeing. It's about realising they have feelings, emotions, a soul, a personality and that must be respected. It's about learning and understanding rabbit behaviour and each bun is different but signals are the same. It's about sacrifice- to understand that you are their cater and guardian and decision maker. Rabbits give us their love and we must make sure we give it back to earn their trust and respect. It's about adapting to change and putting the rabbits needs first. It's a commitment and we must understand that because rabbits and for that matter, all pets, deserve the very best that we can give them in life.

Aww that’s really beautifully put :love:

I’d also cover how they are considered a cheap pet, a children’s pet, an almost disposable pet :(
I’d look at covering proper housing costs, vaccination costs, vets fees for stasis and dental probs, how they are generally not at all cuddly with children and how long they live etc. Sounds like a really good idea.

Rabbits are in my experience complicated fur balls. Alot of care and love is required. I don't see them as a young child's pet. There's the regular treatments/vaccinations, daily cleaning, getting the right diet, grooming and most important of all love, stimulation, attention and time. More vets need to understand rabbit care and not treat them as exotics. I have my two living indoors as part of the family. Both are rescues.
b2b22ace3214d21613b06973358da21b.jpg
3d8b64b30f5c25bcb1b6110a12cfdbb9.jpg

ravenmoore36

Thank you for all of your replies! They were really really well put and I can definitely relate to what you've all said. This will be really useful for my project, thank you again :)

Back