• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When you get a new rabbit ...

I do 9 days now - apparently me wanting to do 28 was overkill [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Who said it was overkill?

9 days doesn't affect E.C. so what's the value of it? (if a rabbit doesn't have obvious worms ...)

Who said it was overkill?

9 days doesn't affect E.C. so what's the value of it? (if a rabbit doesn't have obvious worms ...)
My vet [emoji38] I asked when I got Fleur and they said only 9 days 28 was overkill :(

Oh also should I be doing the 28 day treatment every year?

As far as we know, you don't need Panacur unless the rabbit has worms or EC, 9 days for worms and 28 days for EC! Some Vets recommend that we Panacur new rabbits, or rabbits that have lost weight.

As far as we know, you don't need Panacur unless the rabbit has worms or EC, 9 days for worms and 28 days for EC! Some Vets recommend that we Panacur new rabbits, or rabbits that have lost weight.

Do you do a 28 day course of Panacur for a new rabbit and any rabbits in contact with it Tonibun?

Never wormed any new pets that come into the house. So no, we don't panacur new buns. I would however if they're known to be a carrier of EC.

I used to flea treat the ferrets when I got a new one just because they were routinely treated anyway. (Raw diet and living outside, important to worm & flea treat).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Never wormed any new pets that come into the house. So no, we don't panacur new buns. I would however if they're known to be a carrier of EC.

I used to flea treat the ferrets when I got a new one just because they were routinely treated anyway. (Raw diet and living outside, important to worm & flea treat).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying :)

I'm interested in what vets recommend and what people actually do regarding Panacur for E.C. (ie 28 days)

My two are both on a 28 day course of Panacur as Nancy has EC and therefore Will is also being treated.

My rabbit savvy Vet does not agree with the regular 9 day precautionary worming of rabbits but I don't know his opinion on the subject of new rabbits. If I remember I will ask on Monday when Nancy has a check-up.

28 days then reviewed for EC treatment, 9 days for when they might be susceptible. I give 9 days to new rabbits. I must put this on my list of things to ask my new (kind of) vet to see what she recommends, I expect it will be the same

My two are both on a 28 day course of Panacur as Nancy has EC and therefore Will is also being treated.

My rabbit savvy Vet does not agree with the regular 9 day precautionary worming of rabbits but I don't know his opinion on the subject of new rabbits. If I remember I will ask on Monday when Nancy has a check-up.

Thank you Den :)

My vet advocates a 28 day course for each new rabbit (before they have been bonded into a pair or group). But it seems from this thread that this isn't what most people would do?

28 days then reviewed for EC treatment, 9 days for when they might be susceptible. I give 9 days to new rabbits. I must put this on my list of things to ask my new (kind of) vet to see what she recommends, I expect it will be the same

How are they reviewed and what's the E.C. treatment after 28 days Panacur :wave:

I’m currently giving my two buns panacur and had originally only planned to do 9 days as a precaution but was going to finish their syringe, I’m not sure how many doses are in a syringe? I find the syringe dosage really tricky as the recommended 1 graduation is so slight, sometimes I’m not sure whether they’re getting 1 or 2 doses which is worrying. Luckily they happily take their meds from the syringe, goodness knows how I’d track the dosage if they were tricky patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m currently giving my two buns panacur and had originally only planned to do 9 days as a precaution but was going to finish their syringe, I’m not sure how many doses are in a syringe? I find the syringe dosage really tricky as the recommended 1 graduation is so slight, sometimes I’m not sure whether they’re getting 1 or 2 doses which is worrying. Luckily they happily take their meds from the syringe, goodness knows how I’d track the dosage if they were tricky patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having a discussion about those Panacur syringes with my vet the other day. It's not an accurate dosage per weight with those and of course being only 9 days is much more expensive if you want to cover for E.C. at 28 days.

I remember using one of them quite a few years ago for an emergency head tilt rabbit. I agree, the dosage is a bit off. My vet did think that the paste in syringes was more palatable than the bottle of Panacur though, and I think that may be right :D

I was having a discussion about those Panacur syringes with my vet the other day. It's not an accurate dosage per weight with those and of course being only 9 days is much more expensive if you want to cover for E.C. at 28 days.

I remember using one of them quite a few years ago for an emergency head tilt rabbit. I agree, the dosage is a bit off. My vet did think that the paste in syringes was more palatable than the bottle of Panacur though, and I think that may be right :D
Gawd yea hate those syringe ones with the bumps and lines per dose which don't line up [emoji38] much prefer the liquid.

Altho my mum had to look after Atticus for about a week for me, when he was having his 28 day treatment last year, and Atticus and her really fell out so she started putting the paste between two pieces of spinach every day [emoji38][emoji38] not sure I'd have done that, but she said it worked

My Vet says only to Panacur when symptoms are present and there is no value in treating in non symptomatic rabbits.

Back