• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it to late?

Toby

Banned
Is it to late to litter train Toby? He was an outdoor bunny, and has only been indoors for the past year. Lucky he doesn't do his business everywhere but he did pee on the bed the other night at 12 midnight! (Cleaning the quilt was a pain lol). But I think that was my fault as he had slept outside his cage for hours so I should have known he might have wanted to go before putting him on our bed (though he normally pees in his cage anyway). How do you litter train a older rabbit?

Well most rabbits do tend to go in one particular spot so I'd think that litter training an older rabbit is pretty much the same tho it may take a bit longer? Does really depend on the rabbit tho, if he is pretty clean and doesn't go everywhere he may get the hang of it quickly.

Put down litter trays in the spots he tends to go to the toilet and I tend to put something munchy in there such as hay as they tend to go to the toilet when they are eating. At the rescue I work at we sometimes end up putting their food bowls in there so they realise that they should toilet in there when they eat!! Some rabbits just don't catch on and some are naturals! My oldest bunny who is 6 is perfect but my little one who is just over 1 is a bit of a nightmare. Uses it nicely some days but other days all just goes to pot! I think some people also reward them when they are going in the litter trays. My other bun is kinda half and half, she does use it but laziness tends to set in sometimes so I just pick up the droppings and pop them in for her!!

Good luck in litter training him.

Nicola

Hi, thanks for your reply. Toby tends to do his business in the same corner of his cage (as most bunnies do) however when he comes in the living room for a run about, its a little treck to his cage that is in the hall, maybe I should bring the bottom of his cage (the tray) in the room with us when his out? I would have his cage in the room with us but It might be a bit to warm for him in here to stay. His always been pretty clean but with him being 12 I wasn't sure if he'd listen or not.

Yeah I'd bring the cage in, or if he tends to go in a particular spot in the room then stick another litter tray in. Whatever is most convenient for you and whatever Toby feels happiest using really.

It's def worth a try, as he is such a clean bunny anyway he will prob catch on really quick, mayb need a bit of encouragement along the way :) He will just need to learn what he has to do, Pip is brill when in her hutch but when she is in here for the night (recovering from an op or the like!) she does sometimes forget but it's OK cos normally she is inside cos she isn't well. Lots of bunnies do associate tho so fingers crossed Toby does! Princess was pretty good when I first brought her home, was litter trained at work and good consistency in litter training here too.

Good luck, let me know how it goes and any good tips as my youngest is proving more difficult!lol

Nicola

Back