• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haired bunny owners

Alicia

Mama Doe
Do you clip your own bunny? As I’ve already posted about Angus (angora cross) has long hair and he’s groomed every day but a few small matts are forming in places. I’ve ordered some quiet clippers and I thought I’d give that a go as I don’t want him to be sedated at the vets. I know it’s not going to be easy to do, my boyfriends going to help me hold him still.

Do you clip your own bunny? As I’ve already posted about Angus (angora cross) has long hair and he’s groomed every day but a few small matts are forming in places. I’ve ordered some quiet clippers and I thought I’d give that a go as I don’t want him to be sedated at the vets. I know it’s not going to be easy to do, my boyfriends going to help me hold him still.

I had two Cashmere coated Rabbits, Maggie and Mr Bean. I clipped both of them. You do need to be extremely careful as Rabbits have exceptionally delicate skin which tears easily. Far more so than that of a dog.

If the Rabbit is jumpy and stressy then personally I'd want the initial clipping done under sedation by a Vet. Then it should be somewhat easier to keep the coat short by regular trimming at home. From the point of view of the welfare of a very stressy Rabbit I think there is far more risks of harm ( due to both the physiological effects of fear/ stress on a Rabbit and the potential of accidental injury) by trying to clip them whilst they are fully awake than any small risk from light sedation and clipping by a Vet.

I have Buffy. I've posted some photos and a little bit about her here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?470000-Has-anyone-ever-owned-an-angora-bun

I've found clippers difficult so I mostly use scissors. But as Jane says you have to be so so careful. I'm lucky that Buffy is so chilled out with grooming that she let's me, but I wouldn't attempt it otherwise.

When we first got her she was in a terrible state, so got dematted by the vet. They thought she might need to be sedated, but in the end it wasn't necessary x

We have attempted it this morning and he was very good. We’ve only done half of him as he was getting fed up but he already seems much happier.

Back