• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding it hard to find a rescue bunny??

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
Since the passing of Annabelle In February I have been looking to get Wayne a girlfriend. I recently moved out into an apartment and all that comes with it so there has been a delay on that front for him. When I was ready, it was around the Easter period and no self respecting rescue will put rabbits up for adoption around this time understandably.

I’m getting cautious he looks so miserable and lonely and it’s been a while now, ive looked on all the local rescues near me I can find and none match my criteria.

The bunny will technically be my boyfriends, he wasn’t keen on the idea of Wayne, especially when we had to pass up beautiful apartments because I refused to move without him and needed pet friendly. Surprise surprise :lol: he loves him and is super excited he needs a girlfriend and wants to be the one to pick her and bond to her and treat her. Though I’ll be the one that’s she’s in the name of and looking after her for obvious reasons.

He specifically has one requirement- no all white or all black bunnies, he doesn’t want a ‘boring’ one, I myself have had both and love both, and I know they’re the hardest to rehome which is quite sad. I have agreed to let him pick his bunny and it doesn’t seem fair to say that he can’t do that and needs to pick which ever one comes along that’s suitable as it’s his first and he’s genuinely excited for this and it’s our compromise.

Wayne’s requirement is- Single female bun, they have the spare room and come out for free range when we’re home and as I work from home frequently he’s always out but it is a small apparent and three is too many for the space to be fair for them.

My requirement is- Annabelle was put down because she couldn’t be kept as a disabled rabbit due to not wanting to be touched at all. In the future I’m happy to rehome this kind of rabbit after the trauma of her accident doesn’t seem so raw and I can’t stop thinking that if she was friendly she would still be here. Tina my 11yo was my lap dog she would hop onto the bed and cuddle me and I miss her more than I can say. I just really need that rare attention seeking bun in my life right now that will enjoy being in a small apartment where I’m fussing them constantly. Oh and also I’m a nervous driver and will only comfortably drive out an hour to a bun and that is even a stretch and no city centres I’m so bad at driving and start to cry :lol:

Looking on rabbit rehome for Leeds, the only rabbit within an hour is a bonded pair, the single bun closest is in Manchester. Of the suggested rescues, The local RSPCA has only one suitable bun and it’s pure white, one suggested rescue is a sanctuary for special needs buns and doesn’t rehome, one has a couple single buns but are stated to all be nervous. I’ve even resorted to looking on the adds for older bunnies who need rehoming like pre-loved and there are no single suitable female buns that weren’t used as breeders and I don’t want to support, or are babies, or are mentioned as shy, or just a plain white or black.

Long story short I’m in the Leeds area, above are my requirements, can anyone help??? I know there will be an influx after Easter but I’m really looking for one ASAP as it’s already been a long time and a further wait is getting unfair. I will wait until then if there are none but really if there’s one needing a home I’ve missed then I’d rather help now than wait for the Easter buns to come through.

Hi, I am really sad that Vimto is going back to BARC (near Leeds) she is not a single colour, she is happy to be given nose rubs and strokes, she runs towards you if there is the slightest chance of food, she hates tomato's and is litter trained. She can do the most extraordinary binkies and loves plastic balls.

The bond failed I think due to my inexperience and the fact that both boys were bonded and she was introduced to them. I did put a bonding thread on this site but dont know how to share a link for you. It was called "and then there were three.... hopefully"

I would love to keep her and get her her own husbunny but that is not fair on my boys who have free range around the whole of the house. Angie (from BARC) is away at the moment but when she is back I will be taking Vimto back. She is vaccinated and neutered and is so so lovely. (flipping heck even typing this is making me weep)

You would need to contact BARC to speak to them about her.

Do you have any Pictures of Vimto I can show my boyfriend? :) honestly just by description I’d take her in a heartbeat but need to let him decide ultimately :wave: I looked on their website but every single one is a single male so if I’d have known a female was coming I’d have been happy to wait :)

Last edited:
Shame as we rehome nationally and I am going up to Leeds in about an hour and we have girls ready and waiting for homes!

My boyfriend likes Vimto! If I message BARC about her will they be aware she is due to return? When is she being taken back to Angie? How old is she? What’s her story? Sorry for so many questions lol she’s just a perfect candidate for little Wayne and I’m getting excited haha.

Shame as we rehome nationally and I am going up to Leeds in about an hour and we have girls ready and waiting for homes!

I am sure if BARC already has a home lined up for Vimto that OxBunnyta will be in touch - such a shame that any of these bunnies ends up in rescue.

More than confident in bonding, I’ve done six lots over the years including pairs, trios and quads :) Oh no I hope they don’t already have a home lined up for Vimto, I have already enquired and am determined to bring her home >: ) They replied saying Angela is away and will reply soon which I expected as much :)

More than confident in bonding, I’ve done six lots over the years including pairs, trios and quads :) Oh no I hope they don’t already have a home lined up for Vimto, I have already enquired and am determined to bring her home >: ) They replied saying Angela is away and will reply soon which I expected as much :)

I only asked because Vimto has obviously already had one failed bond.

If she has a new home already lined up, I can recommend Honeybunnies.

Is that the one in Leicester? It’s a bit too far for me to drive I’m afraid :( I’m not very confident and it’s two hours there and back

Wayne has been bonded to three other rabbits who unfortunately all had their time. One was elderly at 11yo, one was an extremely tiny and young nethie who didn’t make it unfortunately and one was a terrible accident. At one point they were all a quad but I have bonded past rabbits as well. Wayne has never batted an eye, even to extremely dominant or extremely shy buns as he’s been with both. Which is funny as he was given up because he was apparently aggressive! I have no doubt he will allow her to be dominant if she wants to be and no serious fighting will occur or if she’s shy he will be the one to start grooming :) I would be VERY very surprised if they were unbondable. As vimto has been introduced to an already established male duo I would expect some tension between the males for the company of the female, and as they were rather large (too adorable though) id anticipate maybe a bit of intimidation aggression from the female. It’s a much harder bond than establishing a male to female with no other relationships in place to single one out.

Desperate for the rescue to get back to me anyhow, so many buns have fallen through by this point (four not including vimto) as people just haven’t gotten back to me after stating interest. I’ll be so disappointed if this does too but I’m not getting my hopes up anyhow

Last edited:
If required (and all parties in agreement etc) I can get a rabbit from Leicester to Leeds no issue, as we travel between them regularly. I can also home check in the Leeds area. If needed can someone PM me as I don’t get time to check back on threads. :)

If it doesn't work out with Vimto/BARC bunnies you may want to look at Furever Loved small animal rescue in Keighley, they have a website. Thy usually have about ten bunnies to rehome. Hope works out with Vimto though.

Is that the one in Leicester? It’s a bit too far for me to drive I’m afraid :( I’m not very confident and it’s two hours there and back

Wayne has been bonded to three other rabbits who unfortunately all had their time. One was elderly at 11yo, one was an extremely tiny and young nethie who didn’t make it unfortunately and one was a terrible accident. At one point they were all a quad but I have bonded past rabbits as well. Wayne has never batted an eye, even to extremely dominant or extremely shy buns as he’s been with both. Which is funny as he was given up because he was apparently aggressive! I have no doubt he will allow her to be dominant if she wants to be and no serious fighting will occur or if she’s shy he will be the one to start grooming :) I would be VERY very surprised if they were unbondable. As vimto has been introduced to an already established male duo I would expect some tension between the males for the company of the female, and as they were rather large (too adorable though) id anticipate maybe a bit of intimidation aggression from the female. It’s a much harder bond than establishing a male to female with no other relationships in place to single one out.

Desperate for the rescue to get back to me anyhow, so many buns have fallen through by this point (four not including vimto) as people just haven’t gotten back to me after stating interest. I’ll be so disappointed if this does too but I’m not getting my hopes up anyhow

Fingers crossed that something works out for you. Bunnies deserve lots of love :love:

Hi, I have been in touch with BARC, I am struggling with my shifts to get Vimto back to rescue, I think that the soonest I can do it is the 11th - I am sorry but I do work silly hours.

No problem I have also been in contact with Angela and she said she doesn’t see any reason we couldn’t give her a good home up to this point :D probabaly going to discuss some finer details tomorrow but I’m glad everything is looking good for now :)

Back