• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help in choosing a suitable plant.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Could I please ask for some suitable suggestions with regards to a suitable memorial plant/tree/bush for my 2 bridge buns- Ben and Georgina. I pass them every day in a special part of the garden and I would like to plant a more permanent tribute to them so that there is something special there. Ben was a harlequin and a big old chap who loved food, loved life and loved Georgina as well as being the ultimate softy-sweet and gentle. Georgina was a sweet bun but had some individuality and was a white marbled lop.
I am was trying to think of a plant that encapsulated their lives and love and something that was reflective and special. Has anyone got any ideas please? Thank you.

You don't say how much space you have - but crab apples are small trees. You come in different varieties so you can choose anything from yellow to dark red fruit. The flowers are lovely in Spring (standard apple blossom), and you can get autumn colour from the leaves. They don't need anything doing with them once they have settled in (maybe water in the first summer if it is really dry). Insects will appreciate the flowers. Birds love the apples in winter - we leave the one in the middle of our allotment as an xmas tree for the birds, with the apples looking like red baubles. Plus they are bunny-friendly.

The ones of mine who are buried all have rose bushes on top. The beauty of those is that they all flower at different times, come in a wide variety of colours, variety of sizes, all have names, are hardy and, best, they can be fed as a treat to the living bunnies :love: I have around 10 rose bushes, and searched to match the right rose plant to the right bunny, and it makes our garden beautiful. I would always have those.

I was going to suggest a repeat flowering shrub rose, but I also like the idea of a Crab Apple tree for all the reasona that Shimmer gave.

Let us know what you finally decide on.

Rosemary symbolises remembrance and would be something they'd have liked to nibble on :D :D It's also evergreen and often flowers early in the year when there's not much else about.

Back