• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marnies acting odd

Ross

Warren Scout
hey guys!

Marnie is usually quite a excitable, always on the go, kind of girl
but today all she's done is sit/lie in the corner of the hutch in the litter tray (that usually Declan sits in)
I've opened the hutch for her to run around the living room and she just carried on sitting, didn't want her treat, not interested in the rabbit nuggets when I fed them properly. shes happy for me to rub her head and pet her, but apart from that she seems very quite and odd for her, Declans fine acting all normal

any ideas guys? is it something to worry about or am I just being paranoid?

Edit - shes also happy to lick and clean her self, she is malting at the moment

hey guys!

Marnie is usually quite a excitable, always on the go, kind of girl
but today all she's done is sit/lie in the corner of the hutch in the litter tray (that usually Declan sits in)
I've opened the hutch for her to run around the living room and she just carried on sitting, didn't want her treat, not interested in the rabbit nuggets when I fed them properly. shes happy for me to rub her head and pet her, but apart from that she seems very quite and odd for her, Declans fine acting all normal

any ideas guys? is it something to worry about or am I just being paranoid?

Edit - shes also happy to lick and clean her self, she is malting at the moment

If she is not eating and very quiet then she needs to be examined by a Vet today. My advice would be to call the Vet now and arrange an appointment ASAP. It is always far better to take prompt action to seek professional advice when a Rabbit is exhibiting the symptoms you describe. Gut stasis being one major concern

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Good luck

thank you! id just got off the phone to the vets just before I read this, there fully booked but they have found a way to squeeze her in at 3.05... I'm so worried

what does stasis mean? I see it quite a lot but don't fully understand its meaning? I just wanna know a bit about it before I take her x

thank you! id just got off the phone to the vets just before I read this, there fully booked but they have found a way to squeeze her in at 3.05... I'm so worried

what does stasis mean? I see it quite a lot but don't fully understand its meaning? I just wanna know a bit about it before I take her x

stasis just means the gut is slowing down, we see symptoms of this in decrease in appetite & poo. Lots of physical & emotional causes of a bunny not wanting to eat. Early treatment is good so great you have a vet app - I hope it goes well

Sending loads of vibes for Marnie. I hope the vet appointment goes well and that she's soon feeling a lot better.

ive set her up under the coffee table with her old hay, some new hay, biscuits, forage and a little bowl of water, shes just eaten a small amount of hay.. but at least its something!!

thank you for the vibes! cant wait till the vets :(

Hi there Ross. Sorry to hear about your little one ... But so glad to hear the vet has managed to squeeze her in.

As Joey says, stasis is a gut slowdown, but it's quite serious if a rabbit doesn't eat for any length of time.

Some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

She is home, it was gut statis, but I caught it very early, she has had 2 injections one to sorta get it all moving which last 8 hours or so, and a painkiller, and we have got syringe food to feed her. and some worming paste, just in case, and so that can be ruled out.
she seems abit happier already and has drank since she's been home already, and he said if she is still off in the morning take her to the vets nearest to us (emergency vets)

but she seems a bit better fingers crossed!!
thank you all for your kind words and concern! means a lot :D

She is home, it was gut statis, but I caught it very early, she has had 2 injections one to sorta get it all moving which last 8 hours or so, and a painkiller, and we have got syringe food to feed her. and some worming paste, just in case, and so that can be ruled out.
she seems abit happier already and has drank since she's been home already, and he said if she is still off in the morning take her to the vets nearest to us (emergency vets)

but she seems a bit better fingers crossed!!
thank you all for your kind words and concern! means a lot :D

Aww glad to hear this :)

They sure do worry us!

I hope you don't have to incur the Emergency Services, so vibes for a swift recovery for Madam :)

yeah! :D thank you!! she seems fine now, although I'm not thinking I'm out of it till at least tomorrow,

but any advise on syringe feeding, do I need to if she's eating, and if I do and she's goes nutty what do I do lol, she's quite the feisty lass when she's up and about aha

yeah! :D thank you!! she seems fine now, although I'm not thinking I'm out of it till at least tomorrow,

but any advise on syringe feeding, do I need to if she's eating, and if I do and she's goes nutty what do I do lol, she's quite the feisty lass when she's up and about aha

If she's not eating her normal amount, or significantly less than usual, then I would certainly syringe feed. I use an organic baby food (fruit or veg) mixed with either pulverised pellets or recovery food. Try to make it tasty and she may get a taste for it - well a bit anyway :)

Can you try and source some herbs and let her eat those?

Fresh, wet, leafy herbs
The fiber and moisture in fresh vegetables also will help stimulate the intestine. Kale is a good choice. If the rabbit refuses to eat, try fragrant, fresh herbs such as mint, basil, dill, cilantro, tarragon, sage, fennel, parsley and others. Sometimes it helps to nip off the ends of the stems and wave the fresh, juicy stems under the bunny’s nose or even gently insert the stem into the corner of the bunny’s mouth. You can even lightly pat the herbs against the bunny’s face until she gets annoyed with you and grabs the offending sprig. Sometimes all it takes is a little taste to get the bunny nibbling. Try a variety until one of them gets the bunny to eat. You never know which herb will stimulate the appetite, so it’s best to have a variety on hand.

What did the vet say to do?

ahh thanks :)

the vet gave us some powdered mixture u make in to a paste, and said 4 times daily for 3 days, but I forgot to ask what if she's back to normal in the morning eating wise! ill call him in the morning I guess :)

ahh thanks :)

the vet gave us some powdered mixture u make in to a paste, and said 4 times daily for 3 days, but I forgot to ask what if she's back to normal in the morning eating wise! ill call him in the morning I guess :)

If she's gobbling up as normal by tomorrow morning then she will be OK. See how her appetite is and of course ring the vet. Will they be open Good Friday?

She seems fine :D she is eating, she is drinking... hard to say about pooing cos Declan is always pooing so its hard to determine whos is whos, but she's happy snoozing and grooming Declan, and she has starting to act a bit naughty again! :D

I find it kind of crazy that she was ill at 3pm and 16hours later she seems pretty much better, is that usual with statis? or is it because we caught it early its a 'easy' fix?

and that's a good question about the vets, probally not actually, I did wonder why he said go to the emergency vets (different branch... the bad branch) during day time but I didn't really think about it lol, I may give them a phone call as its only a quick question! good job you said that I would have spent the day moaning that there not answering the phone :lol:

She seems fine :D she is eating, she is drinking... hard to say about pooing cos Declan is always pooing so its hard to determine whos is whos, but she's happy snoozing and grooming Declan, and she has starting to act a bit naughty again! :D

I find it kind of crazy that she was ill at 3pm and 16hours later she seems pretty much better, is that usual with statis? or is it because we caught it early its a 'easy' fix?

and that's a good question about the vets, probally not actually, I did wonder why he said go to the emergency vets (different branch... the bad branch) during day time but I didn't really think about it lol, I may give them a phone call as its only a quick question! good job you said that I would have spent the day moaning that there not answering the phone :lol:

When one of my rabbits is in stasis I 'get to work' on them immediately and sometimes the issue is solved within half an hour :) Yes it can be fast and I am so pleased to hear how well she's doing.

The vet may be open tomorrow, if they usually have a Saturday morning surgery?

ahh brilliant least it can be sorted quick! does it happen often?

yeah hopefully I rang the emergency and the lady on the phone just said keep doing it for 3 days like the vet said, and the vet takes weekends off,
my girlfriends at work so I put it on a spoon with some banana and a forage sprinkling and she loved it lol

Back