• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

repeated anestheasia long term effects

hi, new to all this hoping to get some information for my rabbit without having to keep paying vet to ask a question.
razza is a male lop rabbit un neutered, incisors removed and kidney stones . he will be 6 this year. hes been in my care nearly 5 years now and has always had dental issue of which we have mastered that situation having his molars burred under sedation every 8-9weeks.
never has a problem with anaesthetic but the last time the vet says hes taking longer to come round and in recovery at home he is a couple of hours slower. My question is about the anaesthetic used im reading repeated use
can cause heart disease which is why im wondering is the slower recovery due to this perhaps? or is it purely his age ? also reading proprofol is a better one to use as doesn't cause heart disease.
im not a vet just have a very loved bunny of which im trying to prolong his life best I can. vet just seems to do the job you ask , take the money and not consider the future so again im trying to research to keep my rabbit in a happy pain free life as long as possible. hope someone can educate me further.

hi, new to all this hoping to get some information for my rabbit without having to keep paying vet to ask a question.
razza is a male lop rabbit un neutered, incisors removed and kidney stones . he will be 6 this year. hes been in my care nearly 5 years now and has always had dental issue of which we have mastered that situation having his molars burred under sedation every 8-9weeks.
never has a problem with anaesthetic but the last time the vet says hes taking longer to come round and in recovery at home he is a couple of hours slower. My question is about the anaesthetic used im reading repeated use
can cause heart disease which is why im wondering is the slower recovery due to this perhaps? or is it purely his age ? also reading proprofol is a better one to use as doesn't cause heart disease.
im not a vet just have a very loved bunny of which im trying to prolong his life best I can. vet just seems to do the job you ask , take the money and not consider the future so again im trying to research to keep my rabbit in a happy pain free life as long as possible. hope someone can educate me further.

Hello

Has your Vet run a full blood profile on your Rabbit to check on his major organ function, especially that of his kidneys ? You mention that he has kidney stones, so I hope that the Vet would be monitoring renal function on a regular basis ?

What specific drugs used and at what dose is a decision that needs to take into account the specific needs of the individual Rabbit. The immediate period after a procedure done under GA is equally important, supportive fluid therapy given IV/subcutaneously, heat therapy and possibly oxygen too. Close monitoring of the Rabbit's heart rate, temperature and blood pressure are also important.

HI Clare and welcome to the Forum :wave:

What you are describing is a problem a lot of us have when we have bunnies with dental issues. I have a lot of people write to me privately with exactly what you're worried about - recovery from anaesthesia becoming more and more difficult.

Some people find that the way to help a rabbit with dental problems (and yes, even with the incisors removed!) is to consider a vet who will do 'conscious dentals'. There are many highly qualified vets who are in favour of doing a dental on a rabbit whilst they are conscious, especially if that means that their quality (and sometimes quantity) of life is greatly enhanced by it.

There have been quite some heated debates about conscious dentals on this Forum, and you are most welcome to contact me privately if you want to talk further about it.

This is the view of the RWAF:

Our opinion at the RWAF is that incisor dental shortening can be carried out conscious in the majority of rabbits, (but that this should be done using appropriate tools, and not by clipping which can shatter or split teeth) but that cheek tooth dentistry is best carried out under a short, well maintained anaesthetic to allow full visualisation and assessment of dental disease. However, there may be circumstances where a limited amount of cheek tooth dentistry may be more safely performed conscious. A typical situation is the presence of a single or small number of dental spurs in an easily visualised position, in a calm rabbit, particularly when the animal is not considered a suitable candidate for an anaesthetic (eg through severe dehydration or malnutrition for the dental lesion present, or other underlying disease). This may perhaps be carried out to relieve pain in a seriously unwell rabbit in order to improve his or her fluid and nutritional status prior to a full dental under general anaesthetic. However, if conscious dentistry is considered the default option due to the risks of anaesthesia generally, it is worth reviewing practice anaesthetic protocols for rabbits.

You may also want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ping-of-cheek-teeth-spurs-without-anaesthesia

Is the vet keeping an eye on young razza from the point of view of blood profiles? With an older rabbit it's worth doing (though expensive) just to make sure all is well.

Back