• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting/fun feeding ideas?

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

My foster bunny Princess is rather greedy and bolts her food down, practically jumps in the bowl before I have even put it down!! She is fed on Excel and veggies, has anybody got any interesting and fun feeding ideas that will make her work for her food and slow her down a bit?

She has a treat 'mouse' which she loves and I was thinking of a toilet roll tube with veggies in, any more ideas?

Also if anybody knows how I can get her to eat more hay, she really isn't keen and would much rather have her dry food.

Thanks for your help.

Nicola

have u seen the hanging veggie balls? they are like a wire ball with big holes so that u can put carrots etc in them and hang from the ceiling of their cage. I will see if i can find the website i saw it on.
Chris

That's a cool idea, should keep her busy! If you can find the website I'd really appreciate that. Would have to find a way to hang it in her shed!!

:D

with some of my babies, i scatter the food around the hutch and they love going around finding it all it keeps them ocupied for ages but get there food in a bowl at nite, also u can buy then toys where u put the food in the ball and they have to toss it about to get the food out. another think mine like is when i put there hay in a toliel roll and they fling then about every where. oh also in the pens i some time tie a apple or carrot or sumit like that to some string and tie it up so it is hanging and they run round and round to try and get it
becky

We have a weeble feeder with a ball in it. When they hear the bell they go bonkers, when they finally get the food out it scatters everywhere and they have to run around to find it all. It's a big purple egg shaped one rather than one of the ones that's shaped like an animal.

For hay, maybe you can find a big box, cut a couple of holes in it for your bun to hop in and out of and then stuff it full of hay. I've yet to meet a bunny who can resist a cardboard box, and while she's in there playing she might partake of a nibble or two. Also just try feeding her once a day and leaving her with nowt but hay the rest of the time. What sort of hay do you give her? Maybe she doesn't find it very tasty. You try a different sort, or try the dried grass you can get. If she likes that you could mix it in with the hay for her.

Ours go absolutely bonkers when they get their bowl of pellets. They eat plenty of hay though, so I think it's just that the pellets must be insanely delicious. In the past they used to jump out of the tops of their cages while we were filling their bowls to get their nosh sooner.

Thanks for the ideas :D I will def b trying them, that chinchilla website is brill - loadsa toys and natural treats. They also sell Snugglesafe on there much cheaper than most places!!

I feed her the long hay variety, meadow hay is it? I'm thinking of getting some Timothy hay to try her on that. She isn't keen on the dried grass either, I've never met a rabbit who wasn't keen on hay!! I'll keep trying though. Even a toilet roll tube stuffed with hay didn't appeal, my other bunnies love that!!

I'm a bit worried her hunger will start to lead to aggression as she sometimes charges at your hand if you go to stroke her and she thinks it is food. I'm not gonna feed her from my hand anymore and disassociate my hand with food!! I wish the weather was better, then she could be out in the garden more. I scattered her food this morning and she seemed to be enjoying hunting for it. If I only fed her once a day I fear that I would be eaten!lol She is always so hungry, I'm feeding her recommended amount, should i up it a bit? She has cancer so I'm not sure if that's draining her a bit making her hungrier. If only she would eat hay she wouldn't be so peckish!!

Thanks again for the ideas, anymore and I'll try them!

Nicola

On the toilet tube idea - I put their veggies in their and then stuff the ends with hay so that they have to eat their way to eat - they can smell it so it keeps them interested. They love it as it is a challenge but rewarding at the end!

Anna, Bob & Maisy

Back