• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Move away from Muesli

Signed - I don’t post on Facebook so can’t share.

Hopefully, if anyone does move away from muesli, they won’t just give their rabbit/s a constantly topped up bowl of pellets.

That’s brilliant, good old Metro.

I’ve just been looking at the RAW site for this year - the happy bunny illustrations are adorable. I’d love it if they sold them as prints or posters to raise funds.

In 20 years I have never had a problem with feeding Muesli. I am now on Nuggets but not by choice - Wagg has stopped Muesli and Chudleys has too many tiny bits in it.

In 20 years I have never had a problem with feeding Muesli. I am now on Nuggets but not by choice - Wagg has stopped Muesli and Chudleys has too many tiny bits in it.

Yes I noticed Wagg had done that. Is Rabbit Royale still a muesli? I know people on here who've used that one. Not that I'm advocating muesli you understand, just interested :)

Yes I noticed Wagg had done that. Is Rabbit Royale still a muesli? I know people on here who've used that one. Not that I'm advocating muesli you understand, just interested :)

Rabbit Royale can be bought as either Muesli or Nuggets now. I've stopped the Muesli as there are too many tiny bits in it and never used to be..

Rabbit Royale can be bought as either Muesli or Nuggets now. I've stopped the Muesli as there are too many tiny bits in it and never used to be..

The last I saw of it, it looked quite 'dusty'. I know the rabbits used to love those squashed peas!

Some Muesli is awful, full of peas, some have locust beans added which can still have the seed inside which can get stuck in bunny's intestine. I would like to compare the ingredients of a bag of Muesli with a bag of Nuggets of the same brand. I would imagine they would be the same? If I have time I will do this.

I won’t be signing it, my rabbits have been on rabbit royale all the years i’ve had them.
I’ve now a severely head tilted rabbit who struggles to eat any nuggets but copes well on rabbit royale.
Perhaps it would be more productive to encourage people to give a small amount of concentrate, be it nuggets or mix and instead focus on giving plenty of ad lib hay!
If it’s the study done a few years ago on the 32 rabbits, it was a flawed Study anyway!

Last edited:
I won’t be signing it, my rabbits have been on rabbit royale all the years i’ve had them.
I’ve now a severely head tilted rabbit who struggles to eat any nuggets but copes well on rabbit royale.
Perhaps it would be more productive to encourage people to give a small amount of concentrate, be it nuggets or mix and instead focus on giving plenty of ad lib hay!
If it’s the study done a few years ago on the 32 rabbits, it was a flawed Study anyway!

I agree and also won't be signing. The pro-pellets obsession seems to miss the point for me. The issue is so much more about volumes of dry food against hay consumption, and the suggested amounts on the bags of food.

I didn't know there was a flawed study on 32 rabbits - have you a link to it by any chance Jill? Anyone?

Flawed points-
It mentions the muesli only food caused obese rabbits, however a pellet only treatment was never done..... or the results were not reported, why?
The study fed a larger amount of muesli than nuggets.
There were 4 treatments- hay, muesli and hay, nuggets and hay and muesli only ( again why no pellets only?), which means a test sample of 8 rabbits for each treatment which is far too small to make any statistical analysis.
It does not state which muesli was used, they will all be different, the fact is, even it there were issues with feeding the muesli ( and the report stated the diet might indicate future dental damage, which doesn’t mean much in science), they report can only state that specific muesli compared to that specific nugget may cause an issue.

I should also say, that many anecdotal statements suggest quite a few rabbit (and guinea pigs) have choked to death eating pellets, i’ve Never heard any similar statements about muesli.

Last edited:
I have been told, i’m cruel, abusive and not caring about rabbit welfare because I feed a small handful of rabbit royale once a day. It’s a bit like the vaccine causes autism arguement, many want to believe it although it is now disproven and they will never be open to other possibilities.

I have always supported pellet feeding but have also said if you feed your rabbit correctly then the dried food should be a small part of their diet ( 75 % hay and other forage/veg )and so a good quality muesli won't make much difference to pellets

Back