• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you choose a name for a rabbit?

MightyMax

Banned
I have this dilemma at the moment.

Looking for something different but easy enough for the vet to shout out in the waiting room :D

Does the rabbit suggest a name to you, or do you pick it out of a hat? :?
(the name, not the rabbit!)

We never use a name twice so they get more unusual ( or odd! ) as time goes on. i do like the more random..some of my favourites have been Dreamcatcher, Sundance, Rimini, Barnacle, Seahorse, Mole, Tadpole, Moonshadow and we have a piggy at present called Clockwise :) loads more but can't list the whole 2,000 !

Some names just come, others are really difficult. Dusty is one of my favourite names. He's a lovely bunny too!

Most of the time with my lot the rabbit chose the name (I am soooo not in control over here :roll: )

Twitch - well rabbit noses do twitch
Sparky - found and named by the kids from the after school club that my sister managed
Curious & Quiet - identical black lops with only a couple of white hairs to tell them apart. Even I had trouble to begin with so they started as rabbit number one and rabbit number two until I figured their personalities out.
Lottie aka Dottie Lottie - personality & a spotted coat just provided the name instantly before I even bought her.
Harley & Quinn - Harlequin coloured lops so what else could I call them?
Sylvester - came from Windwhistle Warren named that; was going to rename him to Cotton as he looks like a cotton powder puff but it just didn't fit
Logan - named by a volunteer at Windwhistle Warren; Alice did try a new name out but I went back to Logan cause it just suits. I sort of think of the film Logan's Run as sitting still is not in this bunny's nature.

Bonus points for anyone who wants to guess genders; I seem to have a habit of going for non standard names for females it seems :D

We never use a name twice so they get more unusual ( or odd! ) as time goes on. i do like the more random..some of my favourites have been Dreamcatcher, Sundance, Rimini, Barnacle, Seahorse, Mole, Tadpole, Moonshadow and we have a piggy at present called Clockwise :) loads more but can't list the whole 2,000 !

Why not? :lol:

I love those names. Yes I like them unusual.
I almost hate fixing on a name because these days I then find a better one and wish I'd chosen that :lol:

I have a list of names I really love, but I have to look at the animal, its face, and then I normally just know :)

If I hear or see a name I like tho gets added to the list just incase :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Most of the time with my lot the rabbit chose the name (I am soooo not in control over here :roll: )

Twitch - well rabbit noses do twitch
Sparky - found and named by the kids from the after school club that my sister managed
Curious & Quiet - identical black lops with only a couple of white hairs to tell them apart. Even I had trouble to begin with so they started as rabbit number one and rabbit number two until I figured their personalities out.
Lottie aka Dottie Lottie - personality & a spotted coat just provided the name instantly before I even bought her.
Harley & Quinn - Harlequin coloured lops so what else could I call them?
Sylvester - came from Windwhistle Warren named that; was going to rename him to Cotton as he looks like a cotton powder puff but it just didn't fit
Logan - named by a volunteer at Windwhistle Warren; Alice did try a new name out but I went back to Logan cause it just suits. I sort of think of the film Logan's Run as sitting still is not in this bunny's nature.

Bonus points for anyone who wants to guess genders; I seem to have a habit of going for non standard names for females it seems :D

Letting a rabbit choose it's own name sounds like an eminently good idea :thumb:

Love Harley and Quinn :lol:

Yes, genders ... Non standard names do make for interesting times though :)

I like proper person names for my pets - they are my friends and I see them as little, very special, people (which some people would find really sad but I don’t think people here would think that - which is why I don’t mind posting it here :oops: ).

My bunnies are Bella, Dennis, Trevor and Alys, past bunnies were Rosie and Betty.
My cats are Oscar, Kitty, Lily, George and Daisy, my old boy who died last year was Harry.

Occasionally they are named after real people - Dennis after Dennis Healey, Alys after Alys Fowler and Trevor after my friends’s attractive husband!!!

I like proper person names for my pets - they are my friends and I see them as little, very special, people (which some people would find really sad but I don’t think people here would think that - which is why I don’t mind posting it here :oops: ).

My bunnies are Bella, Dennis, Trevor and Alys, past bunnies were Rosie and Betty.
My cats are Oscar, Kitty, Lily, George and Daisy, my old boy who died last year was Harry.

Occasionally they are named after real people - Dennis after Dennis Healey, Alys after Alys Fowler and Trevor after my friends’s attractive husband!!!

:thumb:

Very special. Even more so because they are dependant upon us totally.

I love that you have real names. I often keep the name I inherit when I adopt but I do wish I could change it on occasions!

My rabbit names have been random really, I go for themed names for my smaller pets (ie big bang theory for hamsters, walking dead for rats). But with rabbits just whatever comes at the time, I named my first rabbit Beano after a rabbit that was called that in one of my favourite childrens books at the time. Gordon came being called that and I liked it. My sister named Boris (Boris the Belgian Hare). Jake was already called that and we thought it suited him, we did rename Jasmine though (was Mimosa) as we quite wanted something to 'go with' Jake at the time and I like the name.

Hmm, I tend towards 'people names' for animals, though as a kid the rabbits and guinea pigs had weird and wonderful names! Favourites have included Bumble, Greta, Simba, and *****!

Edit: good grief, F*nny got starred out!!

I have this dilemma at the moment.

Looking for something different but easy enough for the vet to shout out in the waiting room :D

Does the rabbit suggest a name to you, or do you pick it out of a hat? :?
(the name, not the rabbit!)

There's the rub. We (daughter and me) had a pair when she was five - Hug and Snug. Perfect names for bunnies but for how many years did we near-die of embarrassment at the vets? 'Hug Winterbottom! Snug Winterbottom!' (our name isn't Winterbottom but you get the idea).

So, my next pair, I chose names to go with my 'salt of the earth' surname, and my bunnies were Matthew and Tabitha. I loved the names I chose. But of course, the new vet didn't call out the animals' names. No. Just ours!

Hmm, I tend towards 'people names' for animals, though as a kid the rabbits and guinea pigs had weird and wonderful names! Favourites have included Bumble, Greta, Simba, and *****!

Edit: good grief, F*nny got starred out!!

:lol::lol:

There's the rub. We (daughter and me) had a pair when she was five - Hug and Snug. Perfect names for bunnies but for how many years did we near-die of embarrassment at the vets? 'Hug Winterbottom! Snug Winterbottom!' (our name isn't Winterbottom but you get the idea).

So, my next pair, I chose names to go with my 'salt of the earth' surname, and my bunnies were Matthew and Tabitha. I loved the names I chose. But of course, the new vet didn't call out the animals' names. No. Just ours!

Vets? Consistency is all I ask :lol:

That's hilarious though about Hug and Snug :lol:

For some weird reason my kinds wanted to name our puppy Teabag :roll: I of course chose a much more 'normal' name: Skipper :D

The poor bun's full name was actually 'Hairy *****' (don't ask me why!) - precisely to avoid the horror of having to tell the vet receptionist what our rabbit was called, I dubbed her 'Amber' for vet appointments! Mortifying!

Shocking :shock::lol:

And you have such a down to earth username :lol:

My rabbit names have been random really, I go for themed names for my smaller pets (ie big bang theory for hamsters, walking dead for rats). But with rabbits just whatever comes at the time, I named my first rabbit Beano after a rabbit that was called that in one of my favourite childrens books at the time. Gordon came being called that and I liked it. My sister named Boris (Boris the Belgian Hare). Jake was already called that and we thought it suited him, we did rename Jasmine though (was Mimosa) as we quite wanted something to 'go with' Jake at the time and I like the name.

I am resisting calling a rabbit Jake as I called rescue rabbits that in the past as I loved it so much :)

I used to use Max for Rescues too, until I had a Max of my own, and there can never be another.

I like the name Boris, that's characterful :)

Back