• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Evo :(

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Poorly sick again. :cry:

He wouldn't eat again this morning, and hadn't pooed either. :( Luckily my vets are very good, and I've already been to see them. Evo's had buscopan (which is an anti spasmodic, I've just found out), antibiotics and painkiller. I've spent the last hour chasing him round the house with a syringe full of critical care (which smells delicious!!!), which I haven't managed to feed him any.

I was just about to panic, when he jumped back into his cage and ate 2 stems of carrot tops and did 1 solitary poo. He's jumped out of his cage again now, and is lying in the doorway. He's looking a lot more comfy than earlier.

The vet said that the source of the pain was much further down the gut than last time, when it was in the actual stomach. I can take him back up tonight if I'm still worried, if not I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

What should I do??? :cry: How much food is needed to maintain the gut? How long is safe for a bunny to go without food? I am away tonight, and won't be back until 3.30 tomorrow. If I needed to still syringe feed, would one feed last thing tonight be enough to tide him over until then, or should I get the vets to admit him tonight? O/H can feed him in the morning, but would not be confident enough or have enough time to syringe feed.

So sorry for all the questions.
Laura XXX

Oh poor Laura and Evo, what a difficult time you are having :? ....perhaps you would be better off admitting Evo to the Vets overnight, as it is extremely important that the guts are kept moving, and with your being absent, you may not be in the best position to keep on top of things.
If you explain the fact that you are away to your vet, he should be happy to admit Evo so proper monitoring can be done of the condition.
You will only be worrying the entire time you are away anyway, so better to play safe than sorry?? Do you think??
It is something that only you can really judge as you can see how Evo is in himself, it is difficult to give advice when we cannot observe him.

It is not so much the lack of food that is the main concern, but how much fluids Evo is taking in that is critical.
I would tempt him with something like grated carrot or celery if he is reluctant to eat the recovery food.
Bunnies can go for a few days without food, but not water..is Evo drinking okay??..and passing normal amounts of urine?
Hugs coming to you both, hope things improve soon :D

Oh Laura - Poor Evo and poor you - you both seem to be going through the mill abit at the mo.

This is a difficult one for anyone to answer me thinks but I know you'll get some other good thoughts from the bunny folk on here.

I think only you can really judge if Evo should be admitted to the Vets overnight as you'll have the complete picture:- ie.

Is the Vets a 24 hour hospital :?: so will Evo get extra care during the night - if not at least if he's at home your OH can keep an eye on him.

Also if he's already low in himself the extra stress of being away from home may not help but obviously if he needs Veterinary Care there may be no other option.

When Buffs had GI Statis and her Gut Stopped the Vets told me she would be o.k for a day or so at least without food as because as the Guts are constantly moving it would be unusual for them to be completely empty and the Gut Stimulant they gave her would then hopefully (which it did) do its job by getting everything moving again. The first thing I noticed was a few poops which were very oddly shaped but gradually she returned to normal poops over 3/4 days, during this time she returned to normal eating but it was still over a few days. I've heard folks say that sometimes in bad instances of Statis it can take up to 10 days to get bunny tum back to normal again.

I really feel for you at the mo as when Buffs had it I just felt I was on a rollarcoaster - she was fine one minutes and poorly the next.

I'll keep fingers crossed for the lovely Evo - Hope he's feeling better soon.

He's eating a lot better. And has done a pile of smallish, but normal shaped poos. I still don't know what i'll do later, depends if he eats his tea.

He is eating some grated carrot at the moment.

Oh thank goodness for that Laura you must be so relieved to see this...best to play it by ear and as you say, see how Evo goes over the rest of the day..fingers and paws crossed all will be well :D

Oh Laura - Thanks more encouraging news!!

Will keep everything crossed for little Evo

Re: Fluids - Check with Adele but it might also be worth trying some organic carrot or vegetable baby food - I sometimes water this down if its too thick and sploggy but the bunnies love it and its a good way of getting their water intake up alittle.

This was one of the best tips Adele ever gave me - All my Bunnies love it and its really handy for popping medication/Recovery powder into also as the gobble every single bit.

Hi Laura just wanted to say that I hope your little one pulls through and starts eating. It's encouraging that he is nibbling at things and doing some small poos though, maybe he is on the mend? *crosses fingers*

Hi Laura

Sorry to hear Evo's poorly again, but good news he is eating/pooing again. Does the vet think this is a 'statis' attack again, potentially caused by hair etc (read your other post). It's just that I notice Evo has been given Buscopan. As you know Rob is prone to these 'statis' attacks too, and an emergency vet I once went to gave Rob buscopan, however, my regular vet and a vet in Edinburgh advised that Buscopan was not the best thing to be given for 'statis' type problems - I can't remember why exactly, I think it was something to do with it either being better for bladder related problems, or that it could actually slow down the movement of the gut :? .

As I say, I can't remember why exactly :oops: , but I am going to the vet with Rob tonight to get his myxi booster, so will ask about this and let you know. Not trying to alarm in any way - it caused Rob no harm whatsoever, its just that Metaclopromide injections and prepulsid have always worked better for his 'statis'. Maybe it's different for different buns though.

I've just been reading up on your poor Evo, what a worrying time for you :(
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on this, but I wanted to send Evo some get well wishes. Get well soon Evo :)

He's eaten some of his tea, and done some poos, albeit squishy ones. I've had to stay at my parents, because of work tomorrow. Fingers crossed he'll eat his breakfast for his daddy tomorrow morning. I'll be back to him by 3.30, so I'm not too worried.....we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Awww, thanks for asking about him. He's eating and pooing again now.... touch wood. He was poorly again Wednesday and Thursday though. :(

The vet has advised cutting out fresh foods for a month, to encourage Evo to eat more fibre from hay, and also to see if he has an intolerence to a particular food. We're down to half rations of fresh food already, and I'm certainly not his favourite person! :(

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Evo loves ya really...he's just grumpy and wondering why his yummys have cut in half!!

Dr Mubby prescribes extra long nose rubs :D

My vet also said to cut down on the fresh foods in order to encourage more hay eating. This is really hard as its such a joy to see 'em wokfing down things that you think are good for them i.e. carrots, when it seems they shouldn't be eating too many of them at all. And I've got a fridge full of carrots :oops:

Back