• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit groomer

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’m really struggling with Angus. I groom him every day with a rabbit slicker brush and an old tangle teezer but it doesn’t seem to be enough. He’s getting matted in his arm pits and it’s pulling on his skin :( I don’t understand where I’m going wrong. I’ve managed to trim some of him but I’m wondering whether or not to get him shaved a lot shorter to start again. Where would I go to get this done? He’s an angora, does anyone own one that can recommend a good brush?

I have always kept Angora/Cashmere type coats permanently clipped short. If Angus has knots that are tightly felted to his skin then he will need to be shaved under sedation/GA. I would take him to a Rabbit Savvy Vet to discuss the situation as it can become a much bigger problem in the longer term. The skin under the knots can become inflamed and infected leading to bacterial dermatitis. Knots in the creases under the fore-limbs can pull the skin until it tears. So it really is important to get on top of the situation quickly

Good luck x

I'd recommend a comb over a brush, it'll get right down to the skin instead of just skimming over the surface like most brushes do. If he's getting matted though it would be best to clip off and start again.

Back