• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescuing sunshine

Hi all, i recently got a Rabbit, ive had everything set up for about 8 months and was waiting for the right rabbit. i seen an add online for a free rabbit and seen that she was in awful conditions so i took her straight away. she has only ever been fed pellets! :cry:
im hoping someone can help me understand why she thumps so much ?
thanks
Rachel and sunshine

Well done on rescuing Sunshine (a lovely bright & positive name)

Rabbits thump as a warning & sometime to express displeasure. Are you noticing her do it more times than others?

mainly first thing in the morning, when i give her a piece of broccoli this morning, she thumped as soon as she had finished. could it be because i am cutting down her pellets so she has mainly hay now ? ( she stopped thumping when i put her pellet portion in her bowl

mainly first thing in the morning, when i give her a piece of broccoli this morning, she thumped as soon as she had finished. could it be because i am cutting down her pellets so she has mainly hay now ? ( she stopped thumping when i put her pellet portion in her bowl

aww bless, she is probably annoyed you're not giving her more food but you're doing the right thing - bunnies can be very greedy & as you're experiencing, expressive

Hi all, i recently got a Rabbit, ive had everything set up for about 8 months and was waiting for the right rabbit. i seen an add online for a free rabbit and seen that she was in awful conditions so i took her straight away. she has only ever been fed pellets! :cry:
im hoping someone can help me understand why she thumps so much ?
thanks
Rachel and sunshine

Welcome Rachel, and thank you for rescuing your bunny :wave:

Change of circumstances will provoke the thumping. A new rabbit in a new environment - it often happens if they are on their own.

Some help here?

http://rabbit.org/interpreting-body-language-and-behavior/

http://rabbitresource.org/care-and-health/behavior/how-to-speak-rabbit/

She might be feeling frightened of her new surroundings. Cut down her pellets gradually. It can take up to 3 months to get rabbits to eat hay if they have never had it before.

Back