• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance for Rabbits over 5

Natalie

Warren Scout
I just phoned Petplan who we've been with for almost 18 years with our doggies but they don't insure rabbits over 5 :( I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on here where someone had found an insurers who would cover the over 5 year olds, but I can't find it. Does anyone know either where that thread is, or which insurers cover rabbits over 5.

Thanks - Natalie :)

I just phoned Petplan who we've been with for almost 18 years with our doggies but they don't insure rabbits over 5 :( I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on here where someone had found an insurers who would cover the over 5 year olds, but I can't find it. Does anyone know either where that thread is, or which insurers cover rabbits over 5.

Mine are with NCI. Lifetime cover and covers rabbits up to the day before their 7th birthday (see screen shot).Mine will be 6 this year so will be interesting to see how much the premiums go up- especially Nancy's - just paid out one claim, sadly continuation claim about to be made.
b4bf29f4d2432bafed0ee0187f4c9dcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I believe it's Agria insurance, Natalie :)

Mine are with NCI. Lifetime cover and covers rabbits up to the day before their 7th birthday (see screen shot).Mine will be 6 this year so will be interesting to see how much the premiums go up- especially Nancy's - just paid out one claim, sadly continuation claim about to be made.
b4bf29f4d2432bafed0ee0187f4c9dcd.jpg

What was your excess Den?

That's OK, I thought they could put it up by the looks of what they quoted? Seemed to be they could change the rules?
I'll check the policy booklet. I know it was £55 on Nancy's recent claim and also £55 when I last claimed for her in 2015 for her eye/tear duct problems.

I'll check the policy booklet. I know it was £55 on Nancy's recent claim and also £55 when I last claimed for her in 2015 for her eye/tear duct problems.

I can only find that cover may reduce and/or excess alter when a pet reaches age 10.

Mine are due for renewal in April so I'll report back on the new premiums.

I can only find that cover may reduce and/or excess alter when a pet reaches age 10.

Mine are due for renewal in April so I'll report back on the new premiums.

Gracious that's rather good - 10 years old!

Thanks for reporting back, I look forward to seeing how this works. NCI is beginning to sound like a good option :)

Gracious that's rather good - 10 years old!

Thanks for reporting back, I look forward to seeing how this works. NCI is beginning to sound like a good option :)
Just found the VERY small print[emoji46]It also states "or 7 depending on breed". It might be worth a phone call. I know I phoned before taking the policies out for mine as I had some queries about whether Will's GI Stasis counted as a pre-existing condition and they were very helpful and let me speak to an underwriter.

Just found the VERY small print[emoji46]It also states "or 7 depending on breed". It might be worth a phone call. I know I phoned before taking the policies out for mine as I had some queries about whether Will's GI Stasis counted as a pre-existing condition and they were very helpful and let me speak to an underwriter.

Did it count as a pre-existing condition? I was told that if I applied online, I had to put 'yes' if there had been anything at all (before coming to me as well) and only when/if I made a claim would they decide if they would pay out on that claim. So you didn't declare the condition, just that there had been something ...

Did it count as a pre-existing condition? I was told that if I applied online, I had to put 'yes' if there had been anything at all (before coming to me as well) and only when/if I made a claim would they decide if they would pay out on that claim. So you didn't declare the condition, just that there had been something ...
Yes it did however, Will's GI Stasis was - to quote my vet- 'unexplained'. He'd been a day patient at the vet for the usual gut stimulant, pain relief, fluids and assisted feeding, but was eating by himself when I brought him home that evening and tearing round the garden with Nancy the next day. I put it down to grooming his big friend whilst she was moulting heavily.

Sorry, I digress. The upshot was, 'unexplained ' GI Stasis episodes won't be covered but if this occurred as a result of another illness - e.g. dental - then it SHOULD be covered.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it did however, Will's GI Stasis was - to quote my vet- 'unexplained'. He'd been a day patient at the vet for the usual gut stimulant, pain relief, fluids and assisted feeding, but was eating by himself when I brought him home that evening and tearing round the garden with Nancy the next day. I put it down to grooming his big friend whilst she was moulting heavily.

Sorry, I digress. The upshot was, 'unexplained ' GI Stasis episodes won't be covered but if this occurred as a result of another illness - e.g. dental - then it SHOULD be covered.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes that makes perfect sense thank you :)

I think I may call up and ask about pre-existing stuff and how they deal with it, and if I can perhaps discuss with the underwriters to clarify.

Back