• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newspaper ????

sammy123

Young Bun
Is it ok for Bunsters to eat paper, magazines, carboards??? obviously mine isnt just eating this or a large amount, but whenever im reading i cant tell shes just waiting for me to put down the paper so she can have a nibble, and its the same with her sleeping area, it just gets wrecked by chewing!! Is this OK?

I recently read that its ok for them to chew and rip it up but not to swallow it in quantity. My Dubbs LOVES chewing paper, unfortunately he also loves swallowing it too. I have to keep him away from it, I am sure he could consume a whole newspaper in a day!

That's good to know.
Case is very taken to savaging the newspaper in his hutch and paperwork (lying around in the lounge.) never has much though.

I have noticed that my 3 like to rip paper us (and anything else they can get their teeth into) and appear to be eating it. Will have to hid it further under the hay and straw!

I've been told, though I could have been misinformed, that newspaper print has antibiotics in it and that if your bunny munches too much of the stuff it might cause problems. But then I've also been told that too much cardboard isn't good for a bunny and my lot completely devoured one of those cardboard bunny castles. I think it's the sort of thing that you need to be wary of if you know your rabbit has a problem, and just something to keep an eye on otherwise. If they're shredding it then that's just a fun game, if they're supplementing their diet then that might need to be watched.

Or I could be completely wrong about the antibiotics in which case just ignore me.

Back