• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice

Floss86

New Kit
Can anyone help... My original rabbit died last week after being bonded with a new rabbit. Likely hood is he was old and just got sick but it was 2 days after the new rabbit came that he got poorly. He was poorly for 10 days before improving then going downhill so fast I couldn't do anything else for him.

Now I have the new rabbit who's not the nicest, likes to nip, growl and scratch a lot, I have no real connection with her as my bun was having all the attention while poorly and I don't know what to do with her. I don't want to replace the original because it was so sad when he died and I'll never have another like him. Should I send her back to the rescue centre where she can get the attention she deserves and live with other buns or should I keep her? I feel so guilty thinking about sending her back but I think it's because of 2 reasons only, I like having something round the house with me and I feel obligated to care for her (if that's the right word!) I know she'll end up living alone though as I'm really not interested in getting a new boy bun! If I did it would only be for her and I only got her because of my boy. I'm so stuck! What would you do?!

Can anyone help... My original rabbit died last week after being bonded with a new rabbit. Likely hood is he was old and just got sick but it was 2 days after the new rabbit came that he got poorly. He was poorly for 10 days before improving then going downhill so fast I couldn't do anything else for him.

Now I have the new rabbit who's not the nicest, likes to nip, growl and scratch a lot, I have no real connection with her as my bun was having all the attention while poorly and I don't know what to do with her. I don't want to replace the original because it was so sad when he died and I'll never have another like him. Should I send her back to the rescue centre where she can get the attention she deserves and live with other buns or should I keep her? I feel so guilty thinking about sending her back but I think it's because of 2 reasons only, I like having something round the house with me and I feel obligated to care for her (if that's the right word!) I know she'll end up living alone though as I'm really not interested in getting a new boy bun! If I did it would only be for her and I only got her because of my boy. I'm so stuck! What would you do?!

I would send her back to the Rescue where she can have a chance at a life with another rabbit :)

I would give yourself a bit more time. You are still very raw from the grief of losing your other Rabbit. Making a decision to send the new Rabbit back to the Rescue may be something you would end up regretting.

Putting up barriers against attachment to another Rabbit when we lose a Rabbit whom we have developed a very close bond with is not unusual. We may do it to try to protect ourselves from having to face the awful pain of another loss. No Rabbit will ever be a 'replacement' for a Rabbit we loose. But even the most bitey, scratchy 'I hate humans' Rabbit can become very special to us in their own unique way.

That said, if in a few more weeks time you still feel as you do now then I would contact the Rescue and ask when they may have space available to take her back. Most Rescues have waiting lists as they are usually inundated with Rabbits needing their help.

In short, dont make any rushed decisions, best wishes xx

I would give yourself a bit more time. You are still very raw from the grief of losing your other Rabbit. Making a decision to send the new Rabbit back to the Rescue may be something you would end up regretting.

Putting up barriers against attachment to another Rabbit when we lose a Rabbit whom we have developed a very close bond with is not unusual. We may do it to try to protect ourselves from having to face the awful pain of another loss. No Rabbit will ever be a 'replacement' for a Rabbit we loose. But even the most bitey, scratchy 'I hate humans' Rabbit can become very special to us in their own unique way.

That said, if in a few more weeks time you still feel as you do now then I would contact the Rescue and ask when they may have space available to take her back. Most Rescues have waiting lists as they are usually inundated with Rabbits needing their help.

In short, dont make any rushed decisions, best wishes xx

I agree with everything Jane has said here. xx

So sorry you lost your bun.

It's probably a good idea to take some time to think things through, as you may start to feel differently. It's still early days and that bond could come. Equally though if you do decide to return her, don't feel bad, you weren't to know that you would find yourself in this situation x

Back