• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

There is a fight between my senior bun Minnie with the newly adopted bun Fudgie

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So this is my fault. I always remembered to close the gate between up stairs vs. downstairs. But this evening, after I closed the gate, I went back upstair to grab something, and I forgot to close it. Then I left for grocery

It must have happened say 15 min. prior to my getting home. As Fudgie is still thumping the floor.

As to Minnie, there is a patch of skin rip out by Fudgie near the eye area. There is no blood, not even a drop of blood on the carpet. And I sealed it w/ manuka honey and the vet appt. is set at tomorrow morning (it's now 8:40 pm) I also put flammazine on the wound

the wound is about 0.5 cm in diameter, that the skin that was ripped out

she's eating when I hand feed her

but she's doing some degree of heavy breathing, that's the part I don't understand and I hope some of you can explain

metacam is given based on her body weight. I don't know what more to do until tomorrow morning

update: just now (approx. 15 min.) Minnie has stopped the heavy breathing. I don't understand why the heavy breathing started 1/2 hr. AFTER their fight when I took her back upstair but not immediately after

Oh dear, well the 'heavy breathing' could be the result of shock and pain, even though it did not start until about half an hour after the fight. Without a full examination it's impossible to say for certain what caused it, but it is good news that it has now resolved. The Vet should check both Rabbits over (some bite wounds are easy to miss when 'new') and hopefully there will not be any serious damage done. The Vet may use a Fluorescein dye to check Fudgie's eye as a scratch to the cornea is a possibility given the close proximity of the bite to the eye.

Hope all goes well xx

it's MInnie's skin near the eye area. So far, she's eating the carrot when I hold it in front of her

She's eating the leaves of the carrot by herself

She's eating a little bit of the pellet, but there is still a reasonable amount of pellet sitting on the bowl.

The manuka honey seems to "glue" that patch of skin back to the spot. i don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I don't understand why would a fight causes her to not have a regular diet. I mean, is it really "shock and pain"? does a rabbit fight affect a bunny that much?

Last edited:
it's MInnie's skin near the eye area. So far, she's eating the carrot when I hold it in front of her

She's eating the leaves of the carrot by herself

She's eating a little bit of the pellet, but there is still a reasonable amount of pellet sitting on the bowl.

The manuka honey seems to "glue" that patch of skin back to the spot. i don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I don't understand why would a fight causes her to not have a regular diet. I mean, is it really "shock and pain"? does a rabbit fight affect a bunny that much?

Yes, it certainly can.

I remember about 6 years ago Charlie was attacked by another rabbit who had jumped into his enclosure. He wouldn't eat and had to be admitted I think, or he came back, not sure. He is a very sensitive rabbit as even now if I want to move them to another area, he really reacts badly. I hope Minnie will be ok.

Back