• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam and rabbits

lindac

Warren Scout
Hi there, my first post!

Almost 3 years ago my now 9.5 year old rabbit Dubbs was diagnosed as having a cancer on his kidney (inoperable). Up until 3 weeks ago he was absolutely fine and the cancer didn't seem to be affecting him. However 3 weeks ago he took a turn for the worse and became very quiet and subdued and refused to leave his hutch. I took him to the vet for an MRI and an X-ray and she informed me that the cancer had grown considerably. She kept him over night and he perked up and she sent Dubbs home the next day, he was ok for a couple of days and then went quiet again. I took him back to the vet, prepared for the worst, but she suggested we tried Metacam.

Well, he has been on it for 2 weeks now and he seems like his old self (with the occassional quiet moment). I took him for a check up and the vet was really pleased at the change in him. She also said the cancer hadn't grown since his last visit. Obviously the cancer is there and is gradually causing his body to waste away, but he seems lively and strong and pain free for now. Has anyone else had a rabbit that has taken Metcam for a prolonged length of time? He seems to like the taste and there is no problem giving him the medicine at all...well mostly, he wasn't too keen to take it today. I would really like to hear of other peoples experiences with metacam and their rabbit. Thank you.

Hi there Lindac,

and firstly I would just like to say how sorry I am to hear that you rabbit Dubbs has been diagnosed with cancer(albeit 3 years ago), but it sounds like you are doing all you can to help his quality of life.

Metacam is not ideal for rabbits as even after just a few days, it can begin to affect kidney function, and long term use is not recommended.
Rabbits often do not drink enough water, especially when they are poorly, so the use of Matacam is not ideal as it further affects the water balance in the body.
We only use it where absolutely necessary and no more.
HOWEVER having said that, faced with the alternative, a bunny being in pain, and a bunny with Cancer, I would not hesitate to give pain relief where the quality of life can be enhanced for as long as possible.

I am so pleased to hear that you have had a positive outcome after using the Metacam, and please give your special bunny a cuddle from me.

Best wishes
Adele and all the Sanctuary rabbits

Hi Adele

Thanks for the reply. My vet kind of said that Metacam long term is not ideal especially as he already has kidney problems (namely the cancer on it), but i think the logic behind her reasoning is that Dubbs doesn't really have a 'long term' left. Considering the alternative its probably the best option for now.

My vet said that there is an injectable pain relief/opiate but really this would only come into play if the Metcam stops working, and would really only be administered to give me a few extra days with the little fella.

I make sure Dubbs is drinking by placing the water bottle at his mouth a couple of times a day, he drinks like a fish when i do this. He also drinks from it freely of his own acccord, but like you say, not as much as he used to when he was well.

He is a tough little bunny and has survived quite a few mishaps and stuff in his time, he has such a strong spirit, its heartbreaking to watch his body waste away through cancer whilst his soul is so strong. I'll keep doing my best for him though. For now he seems lively enough.

Linda

Hi

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry your boy was diagnosed with cancer and is feeling poorly. I don't have any experience of long term Metacam use so I'm no help there!

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, stay strong, he is obv fighting cos he knows his mummy loves him lots :)

I have just got a foster bunny who has cancer, she is fine at the mo but I'm dreading when she gets iller.

I hope the Metacam continues to work for your little boy.

Nicola

You might providing a bowl would help with the drinking. Some rabbits prefer that over a bottle as less efforts involved to get the water out and its more natural.

Tam

Hi Nicola

Thanks for your lovely words! If its any consolation, Dubbs was diagnosed some three years ago as having cancer, he has been absolutely fine up until 3 weeks ago, so although your little bunny has been diagnosed with it she could live with it for years before anything starts to happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your little lady.

I can't believe Dubbs has made it to 9.5 years old, i believe that is quite a healthy age for a rabbit? Not sure tho as he is my first ever bunny.

Linda

Hi Linda

Thank you for your kind words about my little girl.

9 and a half years is brill for a bunny, life span is between 6-8 years I think, tho with ever better veterinary care rabbits are living much longer than this so you have done wonderfully with your little man.
My bunny Amber was PTS at age 6 last year so she didn't do too bad, she had a tumour that was inoperable.

Princess saw the vet last week and she is happy with her, she said it could be months or she could live another year, nobody really knows! She has mammary tumours so it really depends how fast they grow as to how long she has left. I sure hope it is another year, I've only had her a week and I'm already attached!! I'm making every day happy for her tho :) Got to see the vet in 3 months time to monitor her.

No matter how long you have had them it is still hard isn't it, I won't have Princess anywhere near as long as my other bunnies but I know now it will be just as hard as losing my other rabbits. At least we know we have provided the best for them and they have had a lovely life tho, however long we have had them for :)

Nicola.

Its true we can only do our best and make their time the best they could possible have.

FYI our Vet said Dubbs 'may have a year left' 3 years ago :)

I'll keep all my fingers crossed for you and Princess.

Well let's hope that Princess has 3 years left as well then :) I'm hoping that knowing she had cancer before I took her on will give me time to prepare etc. I'm not sure it's working tho as I'm already rather attached! Nevermind, she is one of my babies now so it's OK.

Thank you very much, everything is crossed this end too. I'm really hoping she will make it to next Spring/Summer to enjoy the garden and more daylight hours runnin about.

How is Dubbs doing today?

Nicola

hiya nicola

Dubbs doesn't seem too good again. he was kinda quiet last night, he still came in for a run around the flat of his own accord and he ate all the food i left out for him yesterday. but he didn't seem as lively as he hsa been.

i gave him a small piece of banana last night which he LOVED. but now i am worried it might cause him stasis! he was quiet again this morning. dont know whether its the cancer or the banana causing stasis now!

also, he wont take his Metacam willingly anymore. i had to syringe it again this morning :-( we had a really nice cuddle afterwards though, there was the most magnififcent sunrise over London this morning and we watched it together whilst he licked my cheek and nibbled my eyebrow.

Ahhh bless him, he is obv getting fed up with the taste of Metacam! My bunny wasn't too bad with her first course of Baytril but now she hates the stuff! Have to disguise it in apple and bread etc.

I hope he perks up tomorrow, maybe just one of those days for him. Least he is still eating and giving nice cuddles, I gave my bunny banana a couple of nights ago - didn't agree with her tum tho :( No more banana for her!!

Wherabouts in London are you?

Nicola

Hey nicola

I'm right in the city, near Moorgate and Barbican. Its lovely and quiet at the weekends :)

Dubbs was ok again last night but quiet again this morning. I think maybe the Metacam is causing a pattern of behaviour i.e. quiet in the mornings and then lively at night. I give him his medicine at about 7.30am each day so if it designed to last 24 hours I guess the natural peak of the medicine will be in the evenings. I had to syringe it again though, he has definitely gone off the taste. However, he doesn't struggle too much, not like he does with Baytril which he absolutely detests - i cant even disguise it, he knows the smell immediately.

Linda

Yeah I guess the evening is when the meds are working and he feels Ok and gets lively! My Pip hates Baytril too, getting very hard to get it down her, at the mo I'm disguising it in apple and bread altho I can see that trick is wearing thin! Luckily only tonight and tomorrow night left then no more Baytril - yippeee!

Give Dubbs a big cuddle from me, and bunny kisses from my girlies, Pip, Amy and Princess.

Nicola

hey nicole

thanks again. dubbs was quite the little acrobat last night again, he jumped off the sofa and must have cleared a distance of about 2.5 feet! not bad considering ;-)

yay for the baytril nearly at an end. give your little ones a cuddle too

Linda

Hi Linda, How is Dubbs today after his antics? Sounds like he had fun last night.
I have a 6 year old female who was diagnosed with having a tumour in her stomach recently. Think it was about 8 weeks ago now, she has been given weeks rather than months or any longer. She is doing quite well despite this and is the same as Dubbs, she is still very happy with herself and is perky most days. I think the cancer will take its toll on any bunnies immune system which is probably why Dubbs is often quiet, Jasper goes through these moments too, some days she sleeps most of the day. When she comes out she is still very much the same Jasper and happily binkies away and even races around the living room. She over did it on Sunday evening and even with metacam her breathing was all over the place. I was told if she stops eating or her poops start getting smaller its time but it seems to be her breathing that is being affected more than her tummy. She eats like a horse and possibly eats better now than she did before I knew she was ill, I don't limit her pellets quite so much and if she doesn't want pellets, well she doesn't have pellets she can have an extra selection of veggies which she normally eats then goes on to her pellets :shock: To be honest I don't give her metacam every day, she seems to be fine without it and I don't want to damage her too much just incase theres a slight possibilty the vet is wrong and she will last longer, really just a hope! she still eats and poops well and plays with toys on the days she doesn't get it. She doesn't sleep quite as much now as she did to start with. Im sure she won't be with me for much longer as her breathing is getting faster even when she is at rest she breaths like she has just run a mile.
Does Dubbs like apple? If he does the trick I have wih metacam is to cut a thin sliver of apple then put a drop of metacam on it, give it a few seconds and you'll see the apple absorb it but before its all abosrbed give it to him, he should take it. Its worked for me with 2 bunnies now although they are both quite greedy lol.
Angela

hiya angela, my heart goes out to you. it tough isn't it? i have ben on an emotional rollercoaster with it for 3 weeks now. i'm sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. Dubbs breathing seems fine at the moment, haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as yet. he does grunt a bit when i pick him up, but he never liked being picked up anyway. Dubbs poops aren't a big as thye used to be but i took some into the vet and she said they were fine and i wasn't too worry. My vet seemed more concerned about his weightloss and the possibility of his muscles wasting away and him becoming weak and lethargic...which he definitely doesn't seem to be at the moment.

Dubbs does like apple so i will try him on that method tomorrow morning. Thank you. Hugs to the bunny!

Hi Angela

I'm sorry to hear bout ur poor bunny, it's so horrible when you hear that. My girl also has cancer and although she wasn't my bunny when she was diagnosed it was still horrible and I now have her at home to look after her and give her a lovely time. She is so funny, like a little dog, followed me up the garden back to her shed! I love the little things they do. Give your bunny a big hug from me, you are obv doing everything u can to make it easier for her, it's hard when you know you don't have that long left, be it weeks or months.

Take care

Nicola

How is Dubbs doing today? Sounds like quite the little acrobat!! Princess tried to climb the door in her shed yesterday evening, admittedly it's not that high but she got stuck halfway bless her! At the mo she is just like a normal bunny, well I think her not putting on much weight and being permanently hungry is linked to the cancer but apart from that!!

Does anybody have any suggestions of a food that fills the belly up more so she isn't always hungry?

Nicola

Back